I may have missed the memo

• Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

At school, church or in the neighborhood people who knew us were just a extension of my parents. I messed up it was handled then & there and again when I got home.
    But then again, that was a time when all the kids played outside and the neighbors knew neighbors and watched out for each other and their kids.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

I agree with what nearly everything that has been said since I posted last.

On the parenting thing. It is absolutely related to that. My father is a school teacher. Nearly all, but not 100% of the time, a problem student gets the support of the parent instead of the teacher getting the support from the parent. I imagine that has changed over generations. When a lot of people on this site were younger, I imagine that you guys behaved at school cause when you get home after being a problem, the at home solution was going to be worse than the at school solution.

oh yea!!!!!!! doah doah

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

It is frustrating for sure. I was raised to hold the door for anyone and it’s habit that I pretty much do subconsciously these days. Same with please and thank you.

The thing that drives me more crazy is the younger group of workers. I see this at my fire station and my hospital with the new hires. They have no troubleshooting skills. If the first thing they try doesn’t work the get all flustered and give up. No secondary attempts or even ideas on another way that might get the job done. They just give up and ask someone else to do it. Drives me up the wall.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

It is frustrating for sure. I was raised to hold the door for anyone and it’s habit that I pretty much do subconsciously these days. Same with please and thank you.

The thing that drives me more crazy is the younger group of workers. I see this at my fire station and my hospital with the new hires. They have no troubleshooting skills. If the first thing they try doesn’t work the get all flustered and give up. No secondary attempts or even ideas on another way that might get the job done. They just give up and ask someone else to do it. Drives me up the wall.

This might be (I don’t know for sure) because both parents worked and there was nobody around to teach them how to look for solutions. Easiest way is grab the offender and start to walk them through the problem solving steps. If they seem engaged and interested they will learn. If not……….don’t waste your time. Let them flounder their way through life.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Bearcat wrote:
    People suck.
    My son I raised the way I was, respect is huge in our house. Courtesy is firmly taught. He gets complimented often for his manners and stuff like holding the doors and just simple what should be every day things.
    People these days are rude but there is still some great people out there. Alot of them are who I call friends

Aren’t you the guy the neighbors call police on for ripping atvs and dirt bikes down road???? Respect….hmmmmm
    For some reason Bearcat never fails at anything.

You mean legally riding our atvs and dirt bikes. Lol in north branch we can ride on city roads, and also ride in ditches.the new neighbors thought it was illegal and was proved wrong after the 2nd interaction. My son and i being polite doesnt mean i wont tell some people off.you being one of them, but you get off by talking crap in the internet, its pretty sad. and What else is your point besides you being a, well I won’t say it but we all think it.

Greenhorn
    Bismarck, ND

A couple of thoughts that I need to remind myself regularly:

I cannot change others. I can only change myself.

I can always make a situation worse – I can’t always make it better.

Maybe the mindset of “people suck” contributes to a less-than-virtuous society. Seeing other people as obstacles to my success will only make me resent people (in a plural sense and singularly). Man is a political (social) being. The frustrations that come with living with others is a means for my growth in virtue.

jeff-pb-crappie-16.5
    SW Michigan

I was taught respect by my parents and grandparents. My wife and I taught it to my daughter and she and her husband taught my grandkids. Holding doors open, saying please, and thank you. Simple things to do but it goes a long way to the people you are doing these things to. Most people really appreciate it.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

that is why i enjoy the company of my dogs

I’m with you on this one. The more people I meet, the more I like my dog.

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

The more people I meet, the more I like my dog.
    [/quote]

This should be made into a bumper sticker.

Stanley

I was raised to respect others and be courteous and that’s how I try to raise my kids. This past winter I was walking into a store and there was a lady older than I but not elderly coming in behind me so I opened the door to let her in first and I got a “I didn’t expect you to do that” from her. So I don’t think it’s all a generation thing it’s a parenting thing.

Denny O
    Central IOWA

I could write up a comment about myself, my daughter and what I’m hearing from my grandchildren being raised at the age of 3 and 6. Ya’ll know how we have not seen them for 3 years! The FD is doing a phenomenal job! She has learned from our mistakes. I just hope she adds in some of my fathers mind set. I already know my mother has put an impression on her as my granddaughter is completely named after my mother!

We all need to sit back and relax a bit and take a chill pill. Extend the “Proper” foot forward and just be kind and be respectful to all, how ever it may annoy you to do so!

Just keep in mind the the youngster that you are scoffing at might have been you at one time.

And the old fart that you are being so impatient with will be you!!

Just sit back and Be Kind.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

At school, church or in the neighborhood people who knew us were just a extension of my parents. I messed up it was handled then & there and again when I got home.
    But then again, that was a time when all the kids played outside and the neighbors knew neighbors and watched out for each other and their kids.

Precisely how our neighborhood was. You would think growing up in a city of nearly 100k, plus surrounding cities you could get away with something. Nope, mom’s network was better than today’s technology. Always one of the neighbors would see ya, all the neighbors talked regularly, if something was questionable you can count on a phone call to mom or dad.

To some it may seem like we grew up in a harsh environment. Reality is we had an awesome time. Because our parents all knew each other, knew our friends, and interacted we all got to do more. We were given so much latitude. I was always encouraging my girl to do much of what I did. Most of their friends were dumbfounded because they never had the same experiences

stevenoak

I agree with what nearly everything that has been said since I posted last.

On the parenting thing. It is absolutely related to that. My father is a school teacher. Nearly all, but not 100% of the time, a problem student gets the support of the parent instead of the teacher getting the support from the parent. I imagine that has changed over generations. When a lot of people on this site were younger, I imagine that you guys behaved at school cause when you get home after being a problem, the at home solution was going to be worse than the at school solution.

You mean there WASN’T a wooden paddle in your Principles office?? But our fear worse than that was word would get home we screwed up.
    Another problem. It seems these days anyone with a political, social or other agenda. Uses division to reinforce their cause. Repub vs dem, man vs women, vaxer vs non vaxer, race, religion and sexual orientation. Seems if you look there is a reason to not respect everyone for some reason. Seems to me not that long ago we could go a month without any of that entering a conversation. See!!! I just did it here!! Divide and contour, Worked for centuries.

Tom P.
    Whitehall Wi.

This goes for person to person too, even thought some people do not appreciate the effort.

Attachments:
    1. Animals.jpg

Viewing 14 posts - 31 through 44 (of 44 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.