I may have missed the memo

• Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

If you’re only into fishing/hunting posts, I guess click along back to other topics

But I have to ask….what the hell happened to social grace and common curtesy? Spent the day running dad around to various appointments today. The crap I observed just made me lose faith in humanity.

Just the simple stuff, holding a door open for elderly, giving a seat up in a waiting room to a woman, saying please and thank you , unauthorized people parking in handicap spots,….
    I even got yelled at for wasting heat holding a door open for my dad and an elderly woman coming behind him.

I’m sure I see rude people every day, but for some reason today it’s just bugging the heck out of me. Listening to rude people made me think back to my mother. If I acted like that she didn’t hesitate to slap me silly in front of anyone and it sure didn’t matter where we were at. In fact, if more people could see her or hear her I think she made a bigger scene just to embarrass me more. I can assure you it didn’t happen often because she held nothing back when whacking me up side the head.

Just seems strange to observe people being total oblivious to others. When did it become acceptable to not care???

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

People suck.
    My son I raised the way I was, respect is huge in our house. Courtesy is firmly taught. He gets complimented often for his manners and stuff like holding the doors and just simple what should be every day things.
    People these days are rude but there is still some great people out there. Alot of them are who I call friends

Coletrain27

That’s the problem right there. Lack of discipline from parents

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

I’m trying hard not to get banded for life, don’t get me going. frown

Iowaboy1

Dont fret Randy, chivalry is not dead, sure, you have to look for it but its still there and when you see it, you will see how those folks were brought up,you know what I am talking about.

To this day, I will open a door for someone, even those much younger than me, those much older than me, egad!! that means they must be over 60 !!Sigh.

During a conversation at work the other day discussing this very matter,,my words,
    It costs nothing to be kind, it costs nothing to be courteous, it costs nothing to be compassionate, but it will cost you an ass whipping if you are an anal orifice.

Randy,, sadly, you and I and others like us are the last of our generation, but I know for a fact, your kids and my stepchildren will carry on our legacy.
    SO, there is hope !!

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

I hear ya. My girls worst nightmare was waiting or procrastinating in helping others. I went ballistic a couple times. Those two make me proud! I know here, we’re among many with similar views. But I agree – people suck

eyeguy507
    SE MN

people suck X2 that is why i enjoy the company of my dogs. it has been rough on many during the last few years so that may factor into some of it. for my family, we have been social distancing years before it was a thing.
    common sense seams to be out the window too and that is what really gets me going but how do you fix that?

Iowaboy1

people suck X2 that is why i enjoy the company of my dogs. it has been rough on many during the last few years so that may factor into some of it. for my family, we have been social distancing years before it was a thing.
    common sense seams to be out the window too and that is what really gets me going but how do you fix that?

LEAD BY EXAMPLE!!!

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Dutch, take a breath, lower the heart rate, have a cocktail…. then SEND IT!!! jester jester jester

Morel King
    PLAINVIEW MN

This reminds me of fishing etiquette or lack of

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Dutchboy wrote:</div>

Dutch, take a breath, lower the heart rate, have a cocktail…. then SEND IT!!! jester jester jester

I’m not allowed to send anything. cry

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I am also a natural social distance kind of person. I decided that people kind of suck a long time ago. I have a few select friends that are great, one is my full time fishing partner that I met one this very forum

brad-o
    Mankato

Restore your faith in humanity. Read the acts of heroism from recipients of the Carnegie Medal for acts of extraordinary heroism. Stay positive Randy.

Trev
    Battle Lake, MN

Welcome to the ME generation.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Attachments:
    1. thumbnail_IMG_7571-1.jpg

Iowaboy1

Aint that that the ever living truth!! like all things in nature, it is cyclical.
    Wash,rinse,repeat.

AK Guy

I remember the only time I ever heard my grandfather swear. I was about to start college and the wisdom he imparted to me was, “remember, there are more horses azzes than horses.” That was 41 years ago. I’m amazed every year how prophetic he was. It’s kinda sad.

stevenoak

One of my very favorite things about spending the winter down south. Is common courtesy, and politeness is still alive for the most part. Yes Sir, Thank you Maam. And although you would be crucified for saying it up here, You’re welcome Sweetie!! Even a lot of the non natives seem to act better in that environment.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Just look at some of the posts and psssn matches on this site. Kind and nice are not the way things are done now.

Loomis13
    NULL

You older generation people make me laugh. Not because I don’t agree with you, because I’m not sure if I do. But here goes, and don’t hold the flames back.

I am 25 and see people all the time he kind and courteous. I also see people all the time who are not kind and courteous. The ages vary greatly. From the older gentleman who gets pissed at a young girl starting her first waitressing job or a young kid getting mad at an elder person for being slow or “too dumb to understand how things work now”.

There isn’t a right or wrong in this situation. It’s how people have always been. And people go online to complain about the younger generation and then everybody piles on. But how often does someone compliment a younger random person on a random forum for doing kind. Not very often. And if they do, good for them, but then the replies are way less than the complaining.

I will probably be the same way when I’m older, but also maybe not cause of how social media changes the interaction between generations. I am “old at soul” as most of my friends say, and that’s good and bad. My parents raised me very well (thank god for them), but I see just as many older people being rude as I do younger generations.

Most people on IDO are special people. They are kind, have humility, and just genuinely good people. Sadly I think that is becoming less and less common. From ALL generations, not just younger kids.

Sylvanboat

A good friend of mine has a 2nd home in Shawano WI, appx 9000 residents. I have been going up there for decades with him fishing and people up there are among the nicest, most courteous group of people I have ever met. Maybe there is something about smaller towns…

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Definitely not a generation thing as I see it across the spectrum. I agree on geography playing a part though. I have family across north and south and see the difference. No question manners are more common in the south.

I’m in bigger metro areas like Milwaukee and then off to small rural areas like Cazenovia. Definitely the larger the metro area the colder people seem to be.

supercat
    Eau Claire, WI

That’s the problem right there. Lack of discipline from parents

X2
    Loomis13 it is not the younger generation to blame it was there parents. And if you see and older person acting the same way it was probable there parent also. We all want the best lives for our children but the problem arises when the parent puts being a friend in front of being a parent. People can disagree but your parenting success is when your children want to move out of the house and start a life for themselves. It drives me nuts when I see all of these kids living with mom and dad after adulthood. When I say this it’s they are done with whatever schooling there are going to do but just can’t seem to start there own lives. Anyone will adapt to there environment. Social media has only added another obstacle to the mess.

Paulski
    “Ever Wonder Why There Are No Democrats On Mount Rushmore ? "

My parent’s taught me to hold the door for everyone, and I still do. They also taught me that I should wash my hands also as a side note. I learned skills these in a small town just south of the airport in Milwaukee. I would agree there is a huge difference between small / large towns as far as common courtesy across the board.

Only had one person give me a negative comment over the years, otherwise I mostly get thank you’s for my common courtesy. I made sure I pulled the door completely shut for the person who said she did not need my help. The look on her face as I pulled it shut so she could re-open it is still priceless.

Paulski

KwickStick
    At the intersection of Pools 6 & 7

I think a lot of basic manners have gotten worse since the social media/internet war zones have taken shape. It’s easy to disrespect people on the net and it’s contagious for many. Definitely not a generational thing.

Keep Paddling
    Inactive

Bearcat wrote:
    People suck.
    My son I raised the way I was, respect is huge in our house. Courtesy is firmly taught. He gets complimented often for his manners and stuff like holding the doors and just simple what should be every day things.
    People these days are rude but there is still some great people out there. Alot of them are who I call friends

Aren’t you the guy the neighbors call police on for ripping atvs and dirt bikes down road???? Respect….hmmmmm
    For some reason Bearcat never fails at anything.

stevenoak

I live in a town of less than 2,000. Going to say 80% of the time going in someplace in town. Someone will hold the door, all ages. Couple years ago, I went to Casey’s for coffee. 2 guys cut in front of me to get in the door first. Next day I go in for a sandwich. A guy slides in front of me at the counter and orders, followed by answering his phone while the girl is asking what he wants on his sandwich. WTF I think. Then realize the guys work for a company out of Chicago, and are working on the edge of town. Their behavior stuck out like a diamond in a goats butt. People are a product of their environment. Good encourages good, bad encourages bad. A small handful break the trend. People think it’s easier to not discipline kids. Till they are spending their retirement getting them out of trouble. Don’t think any age group has the market cornered on rude. I know a lot of good kids that the parents have taken the time to raise them the right way. As old people, we need to not let that go unnoticed. I always give parents credit for raising good kids. Remember. They have a harder time than prior generations that had a different toolbox to raise and discipline kids.

supercat
    Eau Claire, WI

Not to beat up the big city thing but just take a look a nature and see what happens when the herd becomes overpopulated see what it does to there behavior.

Loomis13
    NULL

I agree with what nearly everything that has been said since I posted last.

On the parenting thing. It is absolutely related to that. My father is a school teacher. Nearly all, but not 100% of the time, a problem student gets the support of the parent instead of the teacher getting the support from the parent. I imagine that has changed over generations. When a lot of people on this site were younger, I imagine that you guys behaved at school cause when you get home after being a problem, the at home solution was going to be worse than the at school solution.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 44 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.