I can now add Nike…..

• FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

Y’all can never get that time back…

How do these political topics enhance your life, or anyone else’s?

Seems pointless to allow this negativity into your daily lives guys/gals.

You may not be able to stop annoyances from happening, but you can prevent them from ruining your day.

Just never understood the benefit in threads like these.

eyeguy507
    SE MN

“He is a modern day Martin Luther King in his eyes.”….eyeguy507

Klapperdik is a modern day coward. A chessy, money grabbing, Iwant what I want when I want it baby-a$$ed coward.

He has plenty of $, this is not about money but about the oppression of minorities in the US. He is one stubborn SOB but a coward? It took some BIG balls to keep kneeling all those years knowing 99% of his peers were not on board with the message he is trying to send. He was absolutely black balled by the owners so he will win his law suit some 15 years from now. I won’t shed a tear for a multi millionaire and they can keep kneeling all they want.
    I like all these richy rich privelaged white kids burning their Nikes that daddy bought them on his American Express too! That will really send 35 billion dollar Nike a message! Yes that is a “B” in front of the illion.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Tom Sawvell wrote:</div>
    “He is a modern day Martin Luther King in his eyes.”….eyeguy507

Klapperdik is a modern day coward. A chessy, money grabbing, Iwant what I want when I want it baby-a$$ed coward.

He has plenty of $, this is not about money but about the oppression of minorities in the US. He is one stubborn SOB but a coward? It took some BIG balls to keep kneeling all those years knowing 99% of his peers were not on board with the message he is trying to send. He was absolutely black balled by the owners so he will win his law suit some 15 years from now. I won’t shed a tear for a multi millionaire and they can keep kneeling all they want.
    I like all these richy rich privelaged white kids burning their Nikes that daddy bought them on his American Express too! That will really send 35 billion dollar Nike a message! Yes that is a “B” in front of the illion.

Well that’s one opinion.

jld
    Holmen

If he is truly concerned about helping change the current environment go to Chicago, Baltimore, Detroit and etc and work to change those tragic situations. Have there been cases of police violence against African-American men that are terrible, tragic and wrong? Absolutely, but the much bigger problem is what is going on in these cities with black on black murder but we barely hear about that. I have never heard him talk about this problem. To me, he has now commercialized this whole protest by getting into bed with Nike and making a buck off of it. Time will tell if this truly hurts Nike.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

I don’t think anyone ever said he doesn’t have the right. I agree 100% that he does. That always has to be protected.

I apologize. I took your original post as being focused on his actions rather than the term sacrifice being used in his ad.

I agree the ad and the term sacrifice is absurd. I hate Nike for many other reasons and this doesn’t change anything.

I just get really tired of people saying his actions are unacceptable and somehow undermines our military and fallen heroes.

kabefisherman11

Lets be honest. Hes been totally black listed in the nfl for this whole thing. Nike can do what it wants as it tries to play to minority customers. The ads were never meant to appeal to most people that would be on this site and their shoes have been awful for years now. Under armour and adidas have been cutting deep into their market and nike just wants to play to a narative that they can use to market to inner city youth.

Jonesy

Judging by some of the comments in here it’s impossible for any of us to make a sacrifice unless we were in the military. Glad we got that figured out

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

Y’all can never get that time back…

How do these political topics enhance your life, or anyone else’s?

Seems pointless to allow this negativity into your daily lives guys/gals.

You may not be able to stop annoyances from happening, but you can prevent them from ruining your day.

Just never understood the benefit in threads like these.

applause

Delete or Lock this and let’s move on.

I pity the people who let a multi-billion dollar corporation’s advertisement ruffle their feathers. I’d hate to see their composure (or lack thereof) if something truly bad were to ever happen.

This is only news because people are making it news. Nike is doing fine and no boycott or rambling/bashing some former athlete will change that. If you really want to hurt them, quit talking about it, clicking on the articles about it, etc. The way I see it, their advertisement has already won over every single person that it irritates or works up enough to discuss it.

hnd

Lets be honest. Hes been totally black listed in the nfl for this whole thing. Nike can do what it wants as it tries to play to minority customers. The ads were never meant to appeal to most people that would be on this site and their shoes have been awful for years now. Under armour and adidas have been cutting deep into their market and nike just wants to play to a narative that they can use to market to inner city youth.

there is precedent that he is not black listed at all. was he better than a number of qb’s on current rosters? yes. however, there is a lot of risk involved in a team hiring him and those issues don’t outweigh the possible return you’d get bring him into the team.

look at dez bryant. the guy is better than 80% of the wr’s currently employed but he’s a diva and nobody wants that headache. Today the nfl is wading through shark infested waters and just want all this to go away.

It will be interesting to see how the NFL/Nike relationships continues to exist into the future due to all this. You know the NFL is pissed. If its not the president stirring the pot, now you have manufacturers stirring the pot.

I’ve never had a ton of issue with kaepernick protesting in the way he did However, i do have an issue with a fundamental ignorance of the message as a whole. They guy wearing shirts in favor of regimes that were largely established due a police state is also protesting about police violence in the US? thats stupid. Also, this protest began at a time when the sitting president WAS ACTUALLY FUNDING studies into the allegations of police brutality against minorities (surprise, its actually not that bad) so its like protesting to get something that you are already getting.

that said, i think today, saying words like sacrifice is such an arbitrary word. its a poor choice in this instance. but reality is that there is always someone who sacrificed more than the next guy.

jld
    Holmen

Judging by some of the comments in here it’s impossible for any of us to make a sacrifice unless we were in the military. Glad we got that figured out

Guess we have different definitions of sacrifice. Are military/police/fire/EMT the only folks who sacrifice? No, but it is the first group that comes to my mind when I think about the real meaning of sacrifice. I was never in the military but the example I cited and had to witness was a significant event in my life. Seeing the word sacrifice associated with Kapernick really struck me wrong this AM. Sorry if you were offended.

CaptainMusky

Amen. This whole country was founded upon ideals the nod at our imperfection and our system of government was deliberately designed to provide a path to change. I wish we’d grow up as a nation to the point where respecting a person and their right to have a viewpoint on a topic and to express it as they wish does NOT mean one agrees with them.
    Grouse

I don’t have a problem with someone choosing some form to reflect or hopefully invoke appreciation for someone else’s plight, I just have a problem with the timing of doing it. Kneel before or after the anthem. When those colors are flying and the anthem is being sung, IMO isn’t the time for it.
    Players kneel and pray after every game, you never hear a word about it. If Kap would have done this at any other time other than during the National Anthem no one have ever said anything either.

Pete S

agree or disagree with the message he wanted to get out, we’re still (and should be) talking about the mistreatment of minorities by some in our police force.

I would rather put my money towards a guy who has the ba77s to stand up for what he believes in than some of these players who are on kid number 7 or 8 (see Adrian Peterson) and will never spend a single day as their father. look at all the kids wearing AP jerseys, great role model there parents. if you don’t want to buy nike, then don’t. but keep an open mind knowing that most of us will never worry about our sons in ways an african american father does.

TripleA
    Blaine

agree or disagree with the message he wanted to get out, we’re still (and should be) talking about the mistreatment of minorities by some in our police force.

I would rather put my money towards a guy who has the ba77s to stand up for what he believes in than some of these players who are on kid number 7 or 8 (see Adrian Peterson) and will never spend a single day as their father. look at all the kids wearing AP jerseys, great role model there parents. if you don’t want to buy nike, then don’t. but keep an open mind knowing that most of us will never worry about our sons in ways an african american father does.

I watch most of the bad shoots cops have on youtube. Plenty are justified, some are not.

Main thing I see in them that lead to a bad shooting is non-compliance. Simple listening skills would prevent 90% of them….. teach kids how to listen.

philtickelson
    Inactive
    Mahtomedi, MN

Yawn, buncha old white dudes who somehow think Kaepernick is protesting or disgracing the military still don’t get it.

I hope Nike gives Kaepernick hundreds of millions of dollars just to rub it in all of your faces. And then I hope Kaepernick spends a large percentage of that money(like he already has) supporting the cause he’s passionate about.

I can now add ________

a bunch of usernames on this site to the growing list of people in the US totally hoodwinked by the worst, greediest, ass-backwards, furthest removed from reality administration in our country’s history.

If you somehow interpret Kaep’s actions as disrespectful to the military, people are laughing at you. And those people are the billionaires who continue to grow their grotesque fortunes as you are too busy getting caught up in another smear campaign by our beloved POTUS.

L
    O
    L

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

kids wearing AP jerseys, great role model there parents.

Maybe I’m wrong, but I’ll venture to guess that the vast majority of people… Don’t focus on the life lived outside of the jersey.

You can get me to watch a football game, sure. You’ll never get me to watch news about a football player.

There’s 1,696 NFL football players… 256 games…
    If my kid wanted a jersey I sure as heck am not doing the “research” in entertainment weekly to see if it is socially acceptable to buy or not.

I wonder who would find my jersey acceptable to wear wink

TripleA
    Blaine

Yawn, buncha old white dudes who somehow think Kaepernick is protesting or disgracing the military still don’t get it.

I hope Nike gives Kaepernick hundreds of millions of dollars just to rub it in all of your faces. And then I hope Kaepernick spends a large percentage of that money(like he already has) supporting the cause he’s passionate about.

I can now add ________

a bunch of usernames on this site to the growing list of people in the US totally hoodwinked by the worst, greediest, ass-backwards, furthest removed from reality administration in our country’s history.

If you somehow interpret Kaep’s actions as disrespectful to the military, people are laughing at you. And those people are the billionaires who continue to grow their grotesque fortunes as you are too busy getting caught up in another smear campaign by our beloved POTUS.

L
    O
    L

Haha

Once again, it’s socially acceptable and considered not a big deal to profile “old white dudes” but absolutely no other race class or creed.

Kaepernick can be your hero, but I bet most “old white dudes” give more of there net income to charity than old Kap.

Also- most soldiers seem to disagree with you, not many appear to support him.

Dan
    Southeast MN

Dammit, I didn’t want to get involved with this thread, but I have a special place in my heart for the truth and facts.

I bet most “old white dudes” give more of there net income to charity than old Kap.

I read somewhere that Kap donated over a million dollars to some cause. What you said involves numbers, and numbers are typically tied to statistics, so if what you said is true and not just emotion/opinion, then there should be statistics (i.e. “facts”) to back that up.

Again, is this a fact/true, or is it just something you want to be true? I’ve seen plenty of soldiers on both sides of the argument. I also read that before he started kneeling, Kap consulted a Special Forces combat vet, and this combat vet is the one that said that if he wanted to protest the kneeling might be better and less disrespectful than a fist, turning his back, etc.

As a combat vet myself my honest answer is I really do hate what he and these others are doing quite a bit, but I also recognize and support that what he’s doing is legal and something he has a right to do. Ever since I’ve been in the army it’s always frustrated me when people try and speak for the military, so I’d really like to see where you’re basing your claim from.

TripleA
    Blaine

1 million out of his first 39 million is 2.5%, that excludes the monster money he gets from Nike. He will be around the few percentage range as the years go on as he donates more than typical Hollywood. That’s the part many seem to miss, the celebs convince the peons to send money and help while tweeting from their 4th, $10 million dollar house in the Caribbean. If he really cared why not live in a rambler style house and donate all that cash? I guess he really only cares “so much” just like everyone else….. Nothing special.

As for the soldiers, like I said it APPEARS to be they disagree. I didn’t send a poll out to them, just the ones I know and what I read.

CaptainMusky

people are laughing at you. And those people are the billionaires who continue to grow their grotesque fortunes as you are too busy getting caught up in another smear campaign by our beloved POTUS.

L
    O
    L

Are those the same people that are selling off Nike stock to the tune of nearly 3% last I checked?

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

I can now add ________

L
    O
    L

Maybe just maybe if your dems would have come up with something better then Hillary you could talk down about the president. I would say you democrats actually elected Trump.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

damit im trying to add a meme and this old white guy cant figure out how to do it. anyway its the Michael Jackson eats popcorn one. maybe eelpout can help me. anyway so glad I don’t get involved in these political IDO threads anymore. ive graduated to spectator

I will say that you once blasted me Duthboy for assuming you were a Republican. I don’t see where phil voiced his allegiance to one party. Its possible to hate Trump and be a republican. in fact I know quite a few that fall into that category

Dan
    Southeast MN

Michael Jackson huh? Your racial undertones will not be tolerated. Take your racist tendencies and “popcorn” somewhere else, and get off my lawn.

philtickelson
    Inactive
    Mahtomedi, MN

Crappie! C’mon, this is a good old fashioned Kaepernick debate, think of how much IDO bonding has happened around this very subject in the past. If Kaepernick could somehow get involved in the Mille Lacs walleye netting situation, we’d probably have to shut down IDO completely.

1 million out of his first 39 million is 2.5%, that excludes the monster money he gets from Nike. He will be around the few percentage range as the years go on as he donates more than typical Hollywood. That’s the part many seem to miss, the celebs convince the peons to send money and help while tweeting from their 4th, $10 million dollar house in the Caribbean. If he really cared why not live in a rambler style house and donate all that cash? I guess he really only cares “so much” just like everyone else….. Nothing special.

As for the soldiers, like I said it APPEARS to be they disagree. I didn’t send a poll out to them, just the ones I know and what I read.

Haha, ahhh yes, the old “if you have a lot of money and don’t donate ALL of it then you don’t really care” argument! Sorry, I just don’t think this holds water. He’s done a lot for the cause and continues to bring awareness to it. Which is something he is pretty uniquely positioned to do. Could he donate more? Sure, so could everybody in the US who believes in anything, ever.

Kaepernick can be your hero, but I bet most “old white dudes” give more of there net income to charity than old Kap.

Tough to say. It’s probably a moot point as I would guess people in financially advantageous situations donate more for the tax benefits than they do out of belief of a cause.

Ehh, he’s not my hero, he’s just not a villain.

Dutchy, totally agree with your assessment. Personally, I’m not a big Hilary fan either. Regardless of your or my feelings on Bernie, had the Dem nomination gone to him I think we’d have a different POTUS in office.

Don Meier
    Butternut Wisconsin

Former Green Beret Nate Boyer Special Forces who served in Afghanistan and Iraq directly influenced Kapernick to take a knee instead of sitting . This in response to police brutality. Also the DOD had a history of using tax payer money for ” paid patriotism initiatives ”

Jonesy

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>philtickelson wrote:</div>

Why should I care about that? Why does their opinion matter more than anybody else. The flag doesn’t belong to soliders. I’ve sworn 3 oaths in law enforcement last I checked doesn’t make my opinion more valuable. They don’t get to decide what is and isn’t appropriate. Active duty and reserve troops make up about 2 million of the 325.7 million people in the United States. That’s an awfully small percent. Military service also doesn’t make you a subject matter expert.

Before everybody gets all butt hurt I am thankful for their service. Have a history of service in my family, I’ve had generals in my boat. I get it, I respect their views,and I personally stand and couldn’t see myself doing anything else. Still doesn’t give them sole ownership of patriotism

queenswake
    NULL

Yep, pure business move. Nike knew the controversy this would spark. Guess what? Just like Dick’s recent decision with their gun sales, they went ahead anyway because of the demographic they selling to. No one cares about old white guys when it comes to the retail dollar.

The interesting part about this story, however, is that Nike makes NFL uniforms so it will be interesting to see how the NFL handles that going forward.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

The interesting part about this story, however, is that Nike makes NFL uniforms so it will be interesting to see how the NFL handles that going forward.
    [/quote]

Nike has the NFL Jersey and shoes contract through 2028. I doubt this will change that contract. Keep the political view out of sports and play the damn game.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Take the national anthem out of all pro sports. Problem solved. Doesn’t belong there.

Deleted

Add Nike , yup…..I buy sketchers, til they do something that stupid.

Deleted

Add Levi Strauss too..

Viewing 30 posts - 31 through 60 (of 150 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.