Hybrid Warmouth?

• eyefishwalleye
    Central MN

Caught this last week on my weekend stomping ground. It looked like part crappie, part sunfish, part bass. Looking at Google pics it might be a hybrid war-mouth? Just curious what this is and are they native to North central MN?

P.S. Green Sunfish need not apply mrgreen

Attachments:
    1. 8C877368-F53D-411F-A3F7-B3D33C642563.jpeg

munchy
    NULL

Isn’t a warmouth a hybrid already?

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Those things have been around for years in Central Minnesota. I have asked the DNR for years what they are – Never got a good answer – Other than the need not apply. They are one aggressive fish. When on beds in the late spring they will attack anything that gets close to the bed – It doesn’t matter how big the thing is. I’ve caught them on Spinnerbaits, Buzzbaits, and large rapala’s. I use to fish down south and these sure do look like the Warmouth we use to catch down there. The DNR tells me a true warmouth will not survive the cold water this far North.

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

I use to fish down south and these sure do look like the Warmouth we use to catch down there. The DNR tells me a true warmouth will not survive the cold water this far North.

I believe you are correct.

According to the Wikipedia, more common in the south but are found as far north as Canada.

“Warmouth are found throughout much of the south in the Mississippi River drainage, from the Gulf and Atlantic coasts and northward to the Chesapeake Bay, and westward throughout Texas to the Rio Grande, and northward into the Great Lakes basin area.[3][4] The warmouth is a highly aggressive and hardy fish, and they can live in ponds, lakes, rivers, and backwater streams and can often survive in streams with low oxygen levels where other species of sunfish cannot. The species exists with breeding populations in southern portions of Canada, and likely has existed there for many years prior to being detected.”

grubson
    Harris, Somewhere in VNP

Jokes aside, that there is a Green Sunfish. No kidding, just facts.
    They are exactly as you describe, including being very aggressive.
    They are native throughout MN.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.