Pimped out Axis .223

• johnee

Since I did the review of the stock Savage Axis a while back, I’ve been doing a little customizing.

The latest addition was the Boyd’s Thumbhole stock. What do you think?

This is a big improvement over the factory plastic stock and for $99, I think it’s going to be well worth the investment.

I’ve also added a Rifle Basix trigger to give me a fully adjustable trigger package. This fixed both the heavy pull weight and it eliminated the creep.

So for just over $600, I have a stainless rifle that shoots sub MOA groups. It has already been responsible for the demise of a number of pasture poodles and hopefully many more to come.

Grouse

kurt34

where did you get the stock for your axis i want one

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

You can order them here: Boyds

So Grouse,

What does a custom stock do for me as a shooter over a standard? Did you have to modify your’s at all to fit your Axis?

Trying to decide what to do…

johnee

Well, besides making you look totally awesome–like me– I like the fact that the stock is much stiffer. The thumbhole gives more of a pistol-style grip which I find better from a sitting shooting position, which is how I’m shooting when calling yotes.

Beyond that, I need to make a trip to the range to see if the stock changes anything beyond the cosmetics.

No mods were required with this stock from Boyds. Boyds even includes the metal trigger guard and the recoil lug pillar. They just came out with this stock for the Axis a few weeks ago and I was first in line when the came available. 2 years of begging pays off.

Grouse

kooty
    Keymaster

Such a dilema. I like the Nutmeg stock a lot. However, since I’ve got a snow camo barrel, not sure I’ll like that combo.

I’d like to build an Axis with a Boyds from scratch with the stainless barrel, but they don’t seem to be easy to find on their own. As I am looking a prices. I should have bought 3 of those matte black when I got it for $239 + tax.

Oh for the record, my current rifle, last group off the bench at 100 yards. Bullet holes were touching. Must have been one of those days because I’m not typically capable of that. Love this tack driver!!!

johnee

Yes, I like the nutmeg color as well. I probably will go that route when I get a .22-250 Axis.

I own a few rifles and I’ve shot quite a few from back in the old days when having a sub-MOA rifle either came down to luck or a big custom-build budget. In the 1980s, my father had an absolute tack driver Savage in .22-250, but in looking back at what he spent, it was the equivilent of about over $1500 in today’s money.

IMO the Axis is certainly one of the best of a terrific crop of budget rifles out there. The Ruger American is also great, albeit in a more limited range of chamberings. If you wanted the buy/shoot option and the American came in the chambering you wanted, I’d go that route simply because of the adjustable trigger.

By my Axis spend total of $600 is also a bargain. It might sound like a lot to spend on a “budget” rifle, but keep in mind this is $600 for a STAINLESS rifle with adjustable trigger and a very good stock. The closeest equivlient stainless rifle with similar features that I know of is the Tikka lite for at least $150 more.

As Kooty mentions, it is possible to get a blued Axis for $250 or less on sale. $99 for a Boyds custom stock, $89 for a Rifle Basix trigger, and even including tax and shipping, you’re at $450.

Grouse

deertracker

are they all $99? I tried to find a price for my .270wsm. It’s like 8 years old. Maybe I need to email them for a price?
    DT

kooty
    Keymaster

So, is it silly to make a “custom” build in the same caliber/platform(Axis) I already have? I’m so in love with the 22-250 it’s hard for me to be objective.

Maybe I’ll just buy that Keltec I’ve been wanting for a while and cure this itch!

johnee

Quote:

are they all $99? I tried to find a price for my .270wsm. It’s like 8 years old. Maybe I need to email them for a price?
    DT

What rifle DT?

Prices vary.

Grouse.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Grouse – Nice!!! I have a few of the Boyds and love them. Still calling at least once a month begging for the Tikka T3 .270WSM to be made….I’m only at a year of begging so I may have a ways to go.
    Have your torque driver with you at the range. adding or decreasing a few inch/pounds can make a difference. On my my Howa, I had to bump the foregrip screw to about 55# and my groups came right back to where they were.

Kooty- the snow pattern would look great with the pepper color. I have that on a stainless and it rocks!

For the questions on what does it do for the shooter I think the “feel” is the key. I fell in love with the easy positioning and comfort when shooting. when I shoulder up, it feel more like an extension of my arm.

Prairie Puppies Dang do I love watching them blow up

kooty
    Keymaster

Such a dilema!

deertracker

Quote:

Quote:

DT

Savage Model 16FXP3 in .270wsm. Factory barrel with top bolt release and internal mag.
    What rifle DT?

Prices vary.

Grouse.

deertracker

That’s the one I pulled up as well. Totally missed the price at the top of the page. Kind of digging the forest camo.
    Thanks
    DT

deertracker

This is going to get expensive. They have my kid’s Marlin youth in stock as well.
    DT

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

Boy….. the thumbhole stocks sure sold out quick! When they get more, I’m going to have to get one!

johnee

Stillakid, if the Boyd’s site will let you backorder the stock, I’d go that route.

Through another site where Boyd’s is a sponsor, I’ve been in touch with their marketing manager. Mainly because I’ve been trying to convince them to make stocks for the Axis and the Tikka.

She said that demand for the Axis stock was very high and that initial inventory sold out almost instantly.

It’s a nice stock, Boyds did a great job.

Grouse

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

Thanks FG…. I was going to get “something” for the 22-250 before winter sets in so I didn’t want to backorder. I went with a Pepper Classic. I’ve been having shot group issues with that one so I just want a new stock to see if that will help clean the issue up. However, after the holidays, I’ll be up for getting a thumbhole for the .223. Leaning toward the nutmeg on that one. Also thinking of dressing up the Tikka 300WSM…… but it’s lower on the priority list.

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

Thanks FG…. I was going to get “something” for the 22-250 before winter sets in so I didn’t want to backorder. I went with a Pepper Classic. I’ve been having shot group issues with that one so I just want a new stock to see if that will help clean the issue up. However, after the holidays, I’ll be up for getting a thumbhole for the .223. Leaning toward the nutmeg on that one. Also thinking of dressing up the Tikka 300WSM…… but it’s lower on the priority list.

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

Boy am I glad I ordered when I did! I’ll post a pic later this weekend but I just checked back at Boyd’s and now mine is sold out too! Really glad I didn’t wait!

kooty
    Keymaster

What did the new stock do to your zero on your rifle? Got both my Boyds in, just can’t switch until after this weekend.

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

I haven’t had a chance to test it out yet. That’s gonna have to wait….. this weekend starts the WI whitetail season.

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

Allowing for a smidge of shooter error, the majority of my shots last Monday were more consistant and the groups are closing in on the 1″ MOA @ 100yds. I was using the “cheap stuff”….. Federal Power Shok and Winchester Power Point, both in 55gr. SP’s. I’m sure it’ll get better when I get some Hornadys down the barrel as well as getting a new trigger installed. Shot improvement was in the 50% better area. At least now, I can confidently state that any critter bearing a target area of 2” or more is definitely dead.

One thing I had to do was trim the plate the clip snaps onto/into. It was too thick and made the clip release too easily. A fine trim job fixed the issue just right.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.