Venison Processing question…

• robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

I just read the results. Congrats Robert!

GNFISN

Way to go Robert!

Fife
    Ramsey, MN

Congrats! Hope you didn’t miss your baby’s birth.

I got to fish with Robert on Day 2 of the FLW finals and we had a blast. Rockin out to Metallica and pounding fish all afternoon.

yaderay

I would also like to add a congrats to Mr Blosser a hometown friend of mine . dont stop catching congrats on the new addition to your family.

Jeremiah Shaver
    La Crosse, WI

Going to be gringing and doing my own venison sausages etc..when you’re cutting up your scraps and such to be used, how lenient do you get with the fat and silver skin? I removed nearly every bit of it, but I’m wondering if it really matters in the end? What do you guys do?

zmax54636

I also process and make sausage, jerky, burger ect.. At first I wasnt as picky about the silver skin.. I have always tried to remove all the fat possible and then If I need to I will add chuck burger or a small amount of beef fat.. I now trim as much of the silver skin as possible and have found that it does make a big difference in the taste. It will also add years to your meat grinder and you will not have to clean the tendons and silver skin of the blades every 2 minutes

bob_bergeson
    cannon falls

Quote:

I also process and make sausage, jerky, burger ect.. At first I wasnt as picky about the silver skin.. I have always tried to remove all the fat possible and then If I need to I will add chuck burger or a small amount of beef fat.. I now trim as much of the silver skin as possible and have found that it does make a big difference in the taste. It will also add years to your meat grinder and you will not have to clean the tendons and silver skin of the blades every 2 minutes

X2 spend the time up front and everything will turn out better

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

I always have trimmed the silver skin because it dosen’t taste good plus it cloggs the cutting blades very quickly. I’ve always used pork trimmings at 20% of lean meat. Cut off all the fat thats on the deer befor grinding.

We made 125 lbs. of summer sausage and it was just like the store bought and even better. We talked to the butcher and he made up the spices and ordered the pork fat plus sold us the casings. We also added 20 lbs. of chedder cheese and I’ll tell you what, it was very good. Just bake in an oven at 180 degrees for two hours and add a little water to the final mix befor you pack the caseings, to compensate for evaporation in the baking process. WE just folded over the casing end and stapeled it, came out great. You can add jalapenos or anything you want to the mix. Doing it this way is easier then one may think.

wade
    Cottage Grove, MN

I try to trim as much of it off as possible, don’t always get everything but most and the stuff you don’t get off, well the grinder baldes get clogged and take that apart…so taste is much better without the silver skin and processing is much faster without it as well.

For summer sausage, I have tried pork with it, but last couple years I have used ground beef mixed with my venison and turned out even a touch better…good luck

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Quote:

Quote:

X3!
    I’ve been butcher my own for about 25 years now. A good filet knife is essential for trimming all the tendons and silver crap out of it. I mix a blend of trimmed pork shoulder at 7% of the gross weight of the deer meat. I’m also including back straps, hind quarters,…I freeze in 2# packs for future jerky sausage making. All my recipies are in 2# incredments, so it works good for me. Also, my wife does not like deer meat at all. We mix 1# of the 70/30 ground beef tyo a 2# pack of the ground deer meat and she swears she’s eating beef. Makes for great lean burgers!!

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

You can get away with some silver skin. I always take as much off as possible though. Fat has to go. Its flavor is nasty and I can taste a spec of it on venison.

mbenson
    Minocqua, Wisconsin

Quote:

X4 It works every time and for every thing including the catching and killing!!!

Mark

ferny
    Stillwater, MN

No fat and try to get as much silver off the cuts. One place I don’t trim is the front shoulders. They are too much work for me and I just throw them little strips in the grind. I haven’t had a big problem clogging my grinder. Try lightly freezing meat first. It makes it way cleaner and easier to hand grind.

Ferny.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.