Wi Deer Shining

• codycroteau
    La Crosse, WI

What is the law? is it illegal or legal? ive been trying tocontact theDNR but they are all busy or dont have an answer. Would like to be able to spend tonight checkin my bean and alfalfa fields, but dont wanna if its illegal.
    thanks

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Its legal and complete BS that its frowned upon by society. I used to love to shine but now I’m afraid I’ll get pulled over by the cops everytime or even shot at. This was a major fun activity in my family when I was a kid. By the time I was a teenager it started getting a bad rep and we started to get pulled over by the cops and treated like poachers.

What used to be a fun activity for many ruined by the actions of a few.

From the Wi 2012 regulations:

Shining

It is illegal to:

• use or possess with intent to use, a light (including vehicle headlights or laser sights

on firearms, bows, and crossbows) for shining any wild animal while hunting or in

possession of a firearm, bow, or crossbow. Note: Visually handicapped hunters with a

Class C Disabled Permit may use a laser sight for hunting.

• use or possess with intent to use, whether or not in possession of a firearm, bow, or

crossbow, a light for shining wild animals (including vehicle headlights) between

the hours of 10 P.M. and 7 A.M. from September 15 through December 31.

Note: Some areas may prohibit shining by local ordinance. Check with local sheriff’s

department or township officials for local shining restrictions.

protourbaits
    stillwater, MN

Im mad that they made it “illegal” in MN My buddies and i used to do it all the time in high school-when we started getting better at hunting. All thanks to some morons that had to shoot from their truck

swimingjig
    Waumandee, WI

It is NOT legal in Buffalo County. Last I knew it was legal in Tremp. County.

bob_bergeson
    cannon falls

Quote:

It is NOT legal in Buffalo County. Last I knew it was legal in Tremp. County.

X2

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

From what I see its not illegal in MN just highly restricted.

Shining lights generally
    Without implements to take wild animals, from two hours after sunset until sunrise, no person may cast the rays of a spotlight, headlight or other artificial light on a highway or into a field, woodland or forest to spot or locate a wild animal.

protourbaits
    stillwater, MN

ya it’s basically illegal

john_steinhauer
    p4

I agree I use to have allot of fun as a kid shinning!

Now days its a different game it sucks some must ruin it for others!

bigbuckdown
    WI

We shine in western WI. Never been pulled over or had anyone do anything about it. Probably because our local CO is a jelly-legged “know-it-all”. He knows my truck and has learned to stay away

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

Another reason this law was passed in MN was allot of land owners complained because of rays light coming into there homes at night from people who were careless about where they were shining there spot lights.

cougareye
    Hudson, WI

Sat with my daughter this spring in her firearms safety course. One portion was a presentation by a CO. Shining can be legal, but you cannot have a gun in the car or truck. Also, as it states above, local ordinances may prohibit it and some prohibit it during certain hours of the day.

After hearing his presentation, it would give me pause to shine in WI unless I had done some good homework.

ET

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.