Eau Claire, WI

Charges certainly, but Felony?

Link

mark_johnson
    St. Croix River

Well how did they catch it then?

rvrat
    st cloud,mn

I feel felony charges are appropriate…Im sure time will be stayed but the Felony charges will keep them from hunting again…a screw driver and baseball bat???? Some more serious issues there I believe…Jay

big_g
    Isle, MN

This is weird..??? Did they “walk up” to a healthy animal and start hitting it with a bat and screwdriver ? I would guess, it would of had to have been hit by the truck or something, for them to get near it.

SLACK
    HASTINGS, MN

are you kidding me?
    they obviously hit the deer with the truck and it was not dead and laying there suffering so they used what tools they hade to do the humane thing. and didn’t also say they were grilling some of it? (no waste there)
    i have personaly done this exact same thing, hit a deer with my truck, deer not dead but not going anywere, the best tool i had in my truck was a baseball bat to do the humane thing, the animal did not go to waste.
    and for this a guy should be charged with a felony??????
    what a joke

mbenson
    Minocqua, Wisconsin

And here I thought this was the three guys that ran down to exhaustion the 5 deer on the east side of WI with their snowmobiles!!! Felony all the way. Oh and I almost forgot about the idiot that skipped his sled through 100 resting mallards on open water two weeks after the above incident and killed 55 of them!!! What the hell is going on with us!!!

Mark

big_g
    Isle, MN

That’s what bugs me too….. who hasn’t seen a freshly hit deer along side the road, where the person who hit it, could care less and just kept motoring along, leaving it to suffer ? What they should have done is called the DNR/ Law enforcement and asked them what to do about it. They will usually issue you a tag to dispose of the animal. I am not sure we are getting the whole story here….

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

I agree Big G, something fishy here?????

ragerunner
    Winona, MN

Quote:

are you kidding me?
    they obviously hit the deer with the truck and it was not dead and laying there suffering so they used what tools they hade to do the humane thing. and didn’t also say they were grilling some of it? (no waste there)
    i have personaly done this exact same thing, hit a deer with my truck, deer not dead but not going anywere, the best tool i had in my truck was a baseball bat to do the humane thing, the animal did not go to waste.
    and for this a guy should be charged with a felony??????
    what a joke

Slack, you stated my thoughts exactly. As fast or as coy as one may be, you are not going to get within ‘bat’ range of a healthy deer. These kids should be given a thumbs up and a pat on the back and a little whisper in the ear telling them to maybe be a little more discreet next time after they kill something.

But we all have to keep in mind that we likely don’t know the whole story. Maybe the kids set some kind of snare or the deer could have been a pet or fenced-in. If that were the case, maybe they do need a little slap on the wrist, but not a felony. I just wish stories like this would stay out of the media.

rvrat
    st cloud,mn

I guess I misread the story at first…I didnt see the part where they said they hit the deer…I agree put it to rest…I would fight the charges I think it would be tough to be convicted by any jury on this case unless there is some good editing by the editor in the story not printing everything that happened…..wow how can I erase that first reply..jay

les_welch

I have no problem with it being a felony, IF they were PLAYING. If the logical thing happened, truck ACCIDENTALLY hits deer, and they attempt to finish off, they should be on their way, simple as that. A little common sense can go along way. Unfortunately, we don’t know the whole story.

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Im sideing for now with the two guys because I know its impossible to run down a deer on foot, especially by two guys having to run to do it at the same time, then kills it with a bat and the other with a screwdriver. Everybody here knows its impossible to run down a deer even if thier cross country runners and get close enough to do what they did. The deer must have been slowed down somehow. I once hit a deer going 60 with an old 68 chevy pickup and I mean it slamed that deer. I got out looking to see damage and there wasen’t any so Id have to see what they were driving. Like said befor if were hearing all the truth the guys need a pat on the back and a little bit of advice to get intouch with the DNR befor they start eating it. There might be more to the story and I do know just because there isn’t any damage dosen’t mean that it still wasen’t hit, haven’t deer jumped into car windows befor among countless other things im sure.

lars
    Rochester, MN

I heard about this, but that was the first piece of information I’ve read about the incident. There is a lot of information that is missing from this report, but when it comes to this subject in the news what else does one expect?

Way more information needs to be known, because like most one here, there is no way they ran the deer down and did this. Something had to have been wrong with it, the only thing they did wrong in my mind was not contacting the DNR.

skippy783
    Dysart, IA

I have to agree with most people here. If their story is true, then they had the right idea, but maybe poor execution of the idea. The poor execution mainly stems from not reporting the situation to dnr right away to make them aware of it.

I’ve heard the dnr would rather you wait, and they will kill the wounded animal when an officer gets there, but if I have the means to do it, I’d rather get it over with for the sake of the animal.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.