Mushrooms

• fishman1
    Dubuque, Iowa

I drove into my driveway yesterday afternoon and before I opened the car door I spied 2 morel mushrooms right next to my car door in the back yard. I ended up picking 26 mushrooms last night and 4 more this morning just in my backyard. There were even a couple right next to my back door steps. Mostly greys but a few smaller yellows. There is a big elm tree in the utility ROW that died the summer before last and is just starting to lose its bark here and there. This isn’t the first time I have found mushrooms in the backyard but it has been a few years. Not bad for living in the middle of a city.

Eyehunter

shew
    East Bethel, Minnesota

Eyehunter do you eat those shrooms? If so how do you know what ones you can eat and what ones you can’t. I see all kinds of them around from time to time and I don’t know which I can eat so I don’t even bother with them.

shew
    East Bethel, Minnesota

Eyehunter do you eat those shrooms? If so how do you know what ones you can eat and what ones you can’t. I see all kinds of them around from time to time and I don’t know which I can eat so I don’t even bother with them.

fishman1
    Dubuque, Iowa

Yes I eat morel mushrooms. I know there are several other edible types of mushrooms to be had including puff balls but the only ones I eat are the morels. There are many ways to prepare them but I like them best cut in half, rolled in flour and black pepper and pan fried in butter until they are golden. Served up with the entree of your choice or as a treat all by themselves they are hard to beat.

Eyehunter

fishman1
    Dubuque, Iowa

Yes I eat morel mushrooms. I know there are several other edible types of mushrooms to be had including puff balls but the only ones I eat are the morels. There are many ways to prepare them but I like them best cut in half, rolled in flour and black pepper and pan fried in butter until they are golden. Served up with the entree of your choice or as a treat all by themselves they are hard to beat.

Eyehunter

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

Hey Eyehunter – whats your address
    The shrooms should be starting around my spots soon. Just would like too see a little warmer nights.
    Enjoy. I like mine prepared the same way

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

Hey Eyehunter – whats your address
    The shrooms should be starting around my spots soon. Just would like too see a little warmer nights.
    Enjoy. I like mine prepared the same way

Fishing Machine
    Lansing, Ia

I don’t hunt them but do like them.
    I take mine and cut in half, dip in beaten egg with a little water then in fine cracker crumbs with a seaoning of salt, pepper and onion powder. Deep fry till golden brown. Like eating popcorn or peanuts. Once you start you can’t quit. yummmmmy

Fishing Machine
    Lansing, Ia

I don’t hunt them but do like them.
    I take mine and cut in half, dip in beaten egg with a little water then in fine cracker crumbs with a seaoning of salt, pepper and onion powder. Deep fry till golden brown. Like eating popcorn or peanuts. Once you start you can’t quit. yummmmmy

kris_brantner
    My river

i fry them up in a little butter, drain the butter, and add some whipping cream and cook a lil longer untill it starts getting a little thick. VERY good!

kris_brantner
    My river

i fry them up in a little butter, drain the butter, and add some whipping cream and cook a lil longer untill it starts getting a little thick. VERY good!

b_sander
    Red Wing , MN

What do they look like? I have a bunch growing next to an old stump that I mow over every year? Anyone have a pic of a moral?

Thanks

b_sander
    Red Wing , MN

What do they look like? I have a bunch growing next to an old stump that I mow over every year? Anyone have a pic of a moral?

Thanks

fishman1
    Dubuque, Iowa

There is another post about mushrooms in the Hunting – General Discussion forum that has photos of morels.

Eyehunter

fishman1
    Dubuque, Iowa

There is another post about mushrooms in the Hunting – General Discussion forum that has photos of morels.

Eyehunter

skhartke
    Somerset, WI

Here ya go!

skhartke
    Somerset, WI

Here ya go!

SpinnerDave
    S.E. Iowa

There are old mushroom hunters and there are bold mushroom hunters . But there are no old bold mushroom hunters.

SpinnerDave
    S.E. Iowa

There are old mushroom hunters and there are bold mushroom hunters . But there are no old bold mushroom hunters.

nubbinbuck

Man, I was out turkey hunting last spring in SE Wi. I spied all kinds of ‘shrooms. Thought they might have been Morels, but wasn’t sure. Thanks for the pics> I guess I’ll be gathering a few soon!!

nubbinbuck

Man, I was out turkey hunting last spring in SE Wi. I spied all kinds of ‘shrooms. Thought they might have been Morels, but wasn’t sure. Thanks for the pics> I guess I’ll be gathering a few soon!!

kornking
    Mount Vernon, Iowa

If you are new to ‘shroomin, study as many pictures as you can, because there is a type of ‘shroom called a “false morel” that is somewhat similar to a true morel (yellow or gray, which are good eatin’) that carries toxins and is poisonous. Some people eat the false morels anyway, but over time, the toxin can accumlate in the body and cause serious illness or death.

Its a lot of fun and a great time of the year to be in the woods, just want everyone to be careful.

This is a very informative link:

mushroom expert .com

kornking
    Mount Vernon, Iowa

If you are new to ‘shroomin, study as many pictures as you can, because there is a type of ‘shroom called a “false morel” that is somewhat similar to a true morel (yellow or gray, which are good eatin’) that carries toxins and is poisonous. Some people eat the false morels anyway, but over time, the toxin can accumlate in the body and cause serious illness or death.

Its a lot of fun and a great time of the year to be in the woods, just want everyone to be careful.

This is a very informative link:

mushroom expert .com

fireman731
    Miles, Iowa

Here’s a few more !

fireman731
    Miles, Iowa

Here’s a few more !

cade-laufenberg
    Winona,MN/La Crosse, WI

i found 1 big one last night out in the woods near my house. That was it! Tough luck…

cade-laufenberg
    Winona,MN/La Crosse, WI

i found 1 big one last night out in the woods near my house. That was it! Tough luck…

fireman731
    Miles, Iowa

Went out with a buddy on Wednesday and together we got 17 lbs. Lot of past prime shroons we left. We were thinking all the rain lately is taking a toll on the quality, they pop and then start to mold in a couple days.

fireman731
    Miles, Iowa

Went out with a buddy on Wednesday and together we got 17 lbs. Lot of past prime shroons we left. We were thinking all the rain lately is taking a toll on the quality, they pop and then start to mold in a couple days.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.