Hunting Application Service?

• Ben K.

Does anyone have experience using a hunting application service (Huntin’ Fool, Cabelas, etc.) for applying to western big game hunts? I’m realizing I want to start playing the point game (and wishing I’d started a few years ago). Also, I like the idea of starting to bank points for my sons so that they can enjoy a kickarse hunt on the old man in their 20s. It looks like you can add children to your account fairly cheap.

Any thoughts/recommendations/pitfalls appreciated.

Michael Best

I have never used them. I just did all my apps myself. From what I have been told they all do a very good service.
    Just have to pick what states and species to apply for.

With that said other than deer, elk and pronghorn there isn’t a draw worth getting into if you have not started already. (Moose, big horn, desert big horn, mtn goat buffalo etc) would all be a hard pass now days. Go hunt just did an article on it and Randy newberg did a YouTube video on it as well.

With that said New Mexico doesn’t do points. So you have the same chance of drawing every year. I honestly can not think of a unit in a Colorado rifle elk season that you will ever draw if you have not started gaining points already. Units like 76, 61, 2, 10, 201, 40 are just way to far out there. Keep in mind a lot of easier to draw rifle tags have otc 2nd and 3rd rifle seasons. Archery is getting close to being not worth the hassle. All the good units will never be drawn if you haven’t started over 10 years ago. There are good tags to be had for mule deer for both archery and rifle though. Get them before the wolves spread though. In 2013 I started building points for 49 archery for elk. Back then it took 2 points to draw. It’s up to 8 now. If you have a few units in mind reach out to me. I can help narrow it down or tell you what I have learned on the unit.
    Wyoming is where I would look. For elk, mule deer and pronghorn. Yes it got hammered last year but if you are looking out 5 to 10 years things could easily bounce back by then.

A sleeper hunt to look for is the general tags in Utah for mule deer. I had some very fun hunts during archery season. As far as premiere tags there I doubt you would ever draw. I started putting in for the Booke Cliffs in 2013. It took 7 points back then to draw. It’s up over 16 points now.

Point creep in the west is very real.

Ben K.

Thank you Michael for the detailed and helpful response. I somehow missed it until today. I’ll check out that Randy Newberg Video.

Point creep really is insane. When you look at cost to purchase points (which seems to be rising) saving for an outfitter or private land hunt may be a better option for those once in a lifetime experiences.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.