.22 Pistol

• Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

I’m thinking about getting a .22 semi-auto and am looking for some advice. Main use would be just plinking. I want something fairly reasonably priced but a decent gun.

Also, this will be my first hand gun. What is involved in buying a hand gun? Do I need a permit? Application?

Thanks,
    Ryan

packingheat
    Reads Landing Mn

You will need to apply for a permit if buying from a dealer. They can be applied for at your local law enforcement center. I like my Browning Buck Mark, I bought it used for $200.00 with 3 clips included. really accurate.

Good luck.

Sorry forgot to mention if you have a carry permit you just need to show that when buying a handgun, no waiting for background check.

rangerski
    North Metro

The Walther P22 is an awesome, deadly accurate pistol for the money, on sale at Cabelas for 319.00, call around and check prices, you will not be let down by the Walther. 10 rd mags.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I’m very happy with my Buck Mark. Bought for same reasons you mention. They are reasonbly priced and mine has worked flawlessly with all different ammo. I also know where you can get a custom leather flap holster for it. Really nice to carry in the field. I took it with me grouse hunting a couple times but realized it was just extra weight and I had no real use for it since I had a shotgun in my hands. Still a nice holster if I ever need to just have one along.

life1978
    Eau Claire , WI

Quote:

The Walther P22 is an awesome, deadly accurate pistol for the money, on sale at Cabelas for 319.00, call around and check prices, you will not be let down by the Walther. 10 rd mags.

I’ll second this one myself. Ralph I would also suggent going out to Bill’s Gun Shop and Range and shooting a few of them before you buy to see which one you like. And they take the rental fee off your purchase I beleave. Also with a purchase of a handgun there you will get some free range passes.

skippy783
    Dysart, IA

Ruger makes a fine .22 semi-auto also.

I bought a Smith and Wesson 22A last year, and once I learned what ammo to feed it, I haven’t had any trouble with it. I think it was around $250 at Scheel’s. I found that I need high velocity ammo to make the gun cycle properly.

Good luck with your search and purchase. .22’s are a lot of fun to shoot, and won’t cost an arm and a leg to do it.

jeff_hansen

here’s another vote for the Walther P22, mine has the 3.5″ barrel… great for bringing along on the trapline or ready to draw for those Kamikazee ‘yotes

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Quote:

Ralph I would also suggent going out to Bill’s Gun Shop and Range and shooting a few of them before you buy to see which one you like.

Being that I can pretty much walk there, I had planned on it. I think the purchase will probably wait till spring, but I just wanted to get some suggestions and start looking a bit.

I’m a little surprised at the Walther suggestions. I have read some not-so-favorable online reviews of the P22.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Anyone had any experiences with the Beretta Neos? It’s a little weird looking, but it’s gotten some really good reviews.

rangerski
    North Metro

Quote:

Quote:

Ralph I would also suggent going out to Bill’s Gun Shop and Range and shooting a few of them before you buy to see which one you like.

Being that I can pretty much walk there, I had planned on it. I think the purchase will probably wait till spring, but I just wanted to get some suggestions and start looking a bit.

I’m a little surprised at the Walther suggestions. I have read some not-so-favorable online reviews of the P22.

What are the negatives you of the P22 you found? Just curious? Thanks and good luck on your purchase.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Quote:

What are the negatives you of the P22 you found? Just curious?

A lot of folks said it was picky on which types of ammon would work in it–it jammed a lot. Other than that, it wasn’t too accurate, and it didn’t fit well in larger hands. Just what I have read.

flatfish
    Rochester, MN

I have a Ruger 22/45> It’s is great and accurate. My son and wife love shooting it. With the heavier barrel, it has great balance. I think it retails around 269$. But you may find it at gun shows for less.

fish_any_time
    Champlin, MN

Quote:

Anyone had any experiences with the Beretta Neos? It’s a little weird looking, but it’s gotten some really good reviews.

Yep, I have one. Bought it new 4-5 years ago. Came with a decent case and two clips. What I don’t like about the case is that it’s molded to the shape of the gun so you can’t use a trigger lock or the lock that Beretta provides with the gun.

All I use the gun for is plinking. I have been very happy and would buy another. When it was new I broke it in with CCI Stingers as suggested to break in the action.

whittsend

Love my Ruger Mark II. Target barrel, custom grip… Put a scope on it.. Can hit a pop can at 100 yards consistantly.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

A pop can at 100 yds with a .22 pistol is ridiculous!

life1978
    Eau Claire , WI

Suzuki you sould get a .22 conversion to use in your AR. They are a heck of a lot of fun and cost lest to go shoot with if you don’t want to shoot all the .223 rounds

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I’ve seen those. Not a bad idea although I have numerous semi-auto .22’s already that dont get shot enough including a .22 mag. I really should get a scope for the mag.

whittsend

Quote:

A pop can at 100 yds with a .22 pistol is ridiculous!

Given a steady rest (bench) of course…. Its actually been more accurate than a lot of .22 rifles that we’ve shot alongside it.
    Might not hit the pop can every single time, but the majority of the time we’ll put a hole in the aluminum…

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Well, I picked up my new Beretta Neos this weekend. I am excited to fire a few bricks through it.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Quote:

What I don’t like about the case is that it’s molded to the shape of the gun so you can’t use a trigger lock or the lock that Beretta provides with the gun.

They must have changed the case since then. Mine is not molded to the gun.

life1978
    Eau Claire , WI

If you ever feel like shooting let me know. I got a few guns you can try out too

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Been a while since I’ve been here. Had one small issue with the Neos that Beretta took care of under warranty (very slowly, though ).

I slapped a cheap reflex sight on it last night. Definitely fun to shoot! I hope it holds up, but if not, it was cheap enough and the gun is plenty accurate with open sights.

life1978
    Eau Claire , WI

Trigger issue? How’s the .357 hunt going? Talk her into it yet:P

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

The Neos is great. I had a small issue that Beretta fixed under warranty, and it has been fine since. I really like the gun, as do all of my brother-in-laws.

I have not broached the .357 topic yet. I’ve gotta set some money aside for truck tires this fall, so I figure once I get my bonus check in the spring, we’ll talk about it! Let me know when you want to sell me yours

life1978
    Eau Claire , WI

Yeah NEVER!

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Quote:

Yeah NEVER!

It was worth a shot

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.