How many follow professional Bass Fishing?

• fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Lots of the Northern fishermen sitting at or near the day 3 cut line. Schlapper is currently in 49th, Felix is 50th, Fieder is 53, and Douglas is 56th. Only the top 50 will move on to fish tomorrow. Currently only Downey in 26th is looking safe. With the whole forward facing sonar, a lot of the southern and western fishermen have really closed the gap on these smallmouth waters.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Basstrack is showing Jay Przekurat in 14th place. I think he is from Wisconsin. So he’s definitely safe to fish tomorrow.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Basstrack is showing Jay Przekurat in 14th place. I think he is from Wisconsin. So he’s definitely safe to fish tomorrow.

Forgot about him

blank

I wouldn’t put a lot of emphasis on Basstrakk. For a long time it had Cifuentes in 53 because he was in the Ontario abyss but had a camera on him and he was catching 4lbers. He left there with 23lbs (according to him) and when they were back in US waters it uploaded and he moved to 1st.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I wouldn’t put a lot of emphasis on Basstrakk.

You’re right, that is not official. But I think its dependent on a cell phone tower signal too, and quite often some of these guys are out of cell phone range for long periods of time.

blank

Yes, Basstrakk is a phone app that requires cell service that the marshals use to submit the weights, or sometimes the anglers if they don’t have a marshal. You might see fish get entered within minutes of eachother because of the cell service or because the marshal enters them all at once. Also the weights are often rough estimates or more likely deliberate under-estimated.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

They also have to have marshals. Seems like when they don’t, their basstrak often doesn’t get updated. They also have been known to enter in fish smaller than they actually weigh on basstrak so the other guys don’t know exactly what they have.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Close and fun tourney to watch. Cifuentes sure seems to be real calm in big situations for a rookie. I kind of thought Ito was going to Win this one going into the last day. I was cheering for Gallant but it just wasn’t his day. My weights were a little low for both the win and for the Final day cut. I said it would take 85 to win and it took 91-8. Thought the final day cut weight would be near 58 and it took 65-4. I think the weight of the fish surprised a lot of the fishermen. Looking forward to the next one in a few weeks. Should be another SM slugfest.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

I guessed 92-3 for the fantasy fishing on bassmaster. Too bad the rest of my picks didn’t hit other than Taku.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

I guessed 92-3 for the fantasy fishing on bassmaster. Too bad the rest of my picks didn’t hit other than Taku.

Great guess on the winning weight. Can’t be much closer than that. What’s your thoughts on the next event?

Bass Pundit
    8m S. of Platte/Sullivan Lakes, Minnesocold

St. Clair is unreal right now. In the 102 boat field of this Elite, Gary Clouse’s 10 fish bag at 30lbs/14ozs got him 100th Place. A better than 3lb per fish average gets him two spots from last. That is insane.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

St. Clair is unreal right now. In the 102 boat field of this Elite, Gary Clouse’s 10 fish bag at 30lbs/14ozs got him 100th Place. A better than 3lb per fish average gets him two spots from last. That is insane.

I’ll venture to say that at least the event at the St Lawrence River has higher weights than St Claire just posted. Just a hunch.

BASS recently came out with their annual lake rankings and the St Lawrence was listed as the top smallmouth fishery in the country right now. St Claire was also highly ranked, as was Lake Erie. OH Ivie was listed as #1 overall, but that’s a largemouth fishery.

Gitchi Gummi

how’s the dock fishing been? I heard if you bang pontoons or motors with your lure, its like ringing the dinner bell for those state record bass

Bass Pundit

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Bass Pundit wrote:</div>

how’s the dock fishing been? I heard if you bang pontoons or motors with your lure, its like ringing the dinner bell for those state-record bass

Well, you heard wrong. There is a pretty good chance if you hit something that, the neutral fish that might have bitten the lure now won’t or the fish that was definitely going to hit the lure won’t. Bang into stuff, and the chance you pull a trophy off a dock goes way down. They didn’t get big by being stupid. The fisherman who hits stuff may very well pay the price for it, especially on big fish.

Did you learn something new from that tidbit? The caster doesn’t want to make contact with anything ever in the presentation. That is why the notion that there is intent to do it is absurd. If you fish docks with kid gloves so you will rarely make contact with anything, you won’t be inefficient in the amount of ground covered both at the individual dock level and the ground covered for the whole trip. Trade-offs are involved here for the fisherman. You only get better at making the right trade through experience doing it. There is a learning curve. Nobody is born a bassmaster dock fisherman, they are a challenge to fish correctly.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Looks like the second to last Elite event at Lake Champlain in upstate New York is off and running today.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Ya this one at Lake Champlain should be a fun one. I always love watching these SM events. That said I also think a few BIG LM bass may come into play before this one is over.

Joe Jarl
    SW Wright County

Looks like Mr. Przekurat is quietly sneaking into AOY contention in only his 2nd year on the Elites. He sure seems to like NY. I think you’re right FT on the LMB playing a role. I’ve seen a few nice ones caught today.

wirivereyes
    Central WI

Definitely a fan of Jay here living in Central WI. Jay is a great kid!! Always helping other fisherman with techniques and ideas.
    Great kid to cheer for!

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

He seems to be the new smallmouth whisperer in the elites.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Looks like day 2 has been postponed due to the weather. I’m not sure if there is lightning in the air there or not. I know there’s wind and rain.

Bass Pundit

I feel terrible for Josh Douglas. His inability to make it back in time yesterday probably cost him his place in the Elite Series. He was pushing his luck with the time because he was in serious danger in the point standings. He broke down on the way back. He is pretty much guaranteed a bottom 10 finish in this one, probably bottom 5. I don’t know if a top 3 finish next week at the St. Lawrence will be enough to save him.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

I feel terrible for Josh Douglas. His inability to make it back in time yesterday probably cost him his place in the Elite Series. He was pushing his luck with the time because he was in serious danger in the point standings. He broke down on the way back. He is pretty much guaranteed a bottom 10 finish in this one, probably bottom 5. I don’t know if a top 3 finish next week at the St. Lawrence will be enough to save him. [/quote
    I wondered what happened to him. Ya it’s been a tough season for him this year. It’s a tough profession and every fishermen has some rough seasons along their career.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

They extended the event on Champlain one day to make up for the day lost on Friday. The top 10 are fishing today.

Looks like Jay Pzrekurat is in 4th and Austin Felix is in 9th.

I’m kinda surprised they extended it into Monday given that there’s another event starting Thursday at the St Lawrence River.

blank

The SLR event will be fun to watch, not just for the crazy number of large fish there, but the AOY and ROY races. The winner of each of those could come down to the last day. And a great rookie class with 4 in the top 20 of AOY and two in the top 10.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

As you guys know I’m not much of a bass guy, I do watch some on TV. I have been watching the new MLF team series and that is a lot of fun. I think that is going to take off just because it is fun for the viewer and the guys it seems. It seems like at some point MLF is going to take over the usual BASS events.

blank

I’m not so sure about that John, but that’s good that you like it. MLF started out with cumulative weight with an unlimited number of fish caught with a 12″ minimum. Then they changed the minimum size after people didn’t like watching them catch dinks left and right. Now they’ve changed it to the 5 biggest bass, like BASS is.
    They also recorded the events and would air them months later. They have since followed BASS and have live coverage online, however I don’t care for their covereage as much as they jump from boat to boat too much and only show the catching, not the fishing with insight.
    MLF has also had a number of cheating instances and other ethics issues the last few years that has upset the bass community. Within the bass fishing community BASS is still heavily favored.
    However, I do give credit to MLF for advancing the capture, weigh, record method of running a tournament which is good for the resources. And I do like that they do fish some smaller bodies of water that BASS probably wouldn’t fish because they break up their field of anglers on different days and don’t have all of them out there at once.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

Interesting while I admit I do not watch a lot, none of the MLF events I have seen are anything but either a 1 pound or 2 pound minimum and it’s as many as you can catch during the timed event. Agree there could be more teaching I guess, just not what I tuned in for.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

However, I do give credit to MLF for advancing the capture, weigh, record method of running a tournament which is good for the resources.

This is an advantage in some waters because a number of states only have a C & R season early in the year. They had an event at Cayuga Lake in upstate New York when other major tournaments could not, specifically because of their immediate release format. If the season is only open for C & R, there can’t be a weigh in, but you can do immediate release formats.

BASS wanted to have an event at Mille Lacs last September too, but they were rejected because of their weigh in format. Smallmouth fishing is C & R only after the second weekend in September here. When BASS moved on, MLF jumped all over it and had their event at ML instead.

If MN ever moves to a continuously open season for bass, these C & R formats will continue to be more numerous, especially early and late in the season.

blank

I do think it’s good to have multiple tournament platforms. With the huge increase in HS and college fishing there is a need for that.

blank

gimruis, that’s a fair point too. Although at that Cayuga event that’s where they had big issues with guys sight fishing and hooking the fish outside of the mouth (against the rules) and catching and recording the same fish more than once.

Viewing 30 posts - 391 through 420 (of 565 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.