How long do IDOers keep their boats?

• cougareye
    Hudson, WI

Bought new in 2004, just paid off in 2016. Same year my oldest started college! I don’t regret one second of financing that boat. We could afford it, the kids and wife loved it and now I have two girls that love the water, love water sports, and we’ve had so many memories in that boat!

And over the years I’ve fished from Devils Lake, ND to Little Bay de Noc. I’ve learned to fish rivers and lakes. Learned new ways to catch walleye, crappie. I’ve even let a certain somebody teach me how to catch cats and sturgeon.

If you can afford the payments, go for it. My kids would never have joined me on the water in whatever junker I could have paid cash for back in the day.

ET

Jonesy

well ive only owned my boat for one season now but I plan on keeping it for the rest of my life. This was always the plan after spending so much money – I figured if im going to get something nice im going to get exactly what I always wanted and so far I don’t regret that decision one bit. IMO When it comes to purchasing new, your value doesn’t come into play until years down the road when your purchase is paid off and you now have a well cared for machine that is paid for to enjoy.

Only reason I would get rid of it would be to downsize after my family grows up.

That is pretty much where I am at. I’m on my second used boat. I imagine in 10ish years I will be looking at perhaps buying a brand new boat. If/when that happens I imagine it will be for life.

puddlepounder
    Cove Bay Mille Lacs lake MN

I bought a new 2003 2025 prov in 2005 that was discounted $12,500 less that what new 2005’s were going for. Paid it off in 3 years. Still have it today. The carpeting is a little wore in spots, there is some scratches here and there, other than that, she’s cherry.

bigpike

I bought my crestliner 1650 fishawk s.c. in 1999. Upgraded the motor to a 90 4 stroke merc in ’02 Replaced all the decking last year. I plan on upgrading to a 17-18′ boat with a walk thru windshield in the next year or so. I wont buy new because its just not worth the money. My next boat will need to last me another 20 or so years.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>targaman wrote:</div>
    All hail the cash only guys bow

Yup! All hail those that pay in cash. So much smarter than the rest of us. With a young family if I waited until I had enough cash to even get a 16 ft tin boat capable of fishing the lakes I typically fish id probably be dead and or my family would be grown up and moved out. To all, spend your money or borrowed money as you wish and tell anyone that scolds you for your financial choices to take a hike.

Shouldn’t take a simple statement so defensively. Paid for toys have no risk, financing certainly does. I still don’t trust this economy and if $hit hits the fan again what if a person loses their job and can’t find another? Gets sick or hurt and only gets a fraction of their take-home?

My family always fished in a 14′, and we’re up 2 more kids, throw in a nephew here and there as well. Can only think of one time on Leech wasn’t able to get out, but had smaller lake option A,B, and C planned ahead of time that were within 15min.

Don’t feel I’m coming at ya personally, rather the idea that financing is needed to get a safe family boat and saving is impossible. It takes time certainly, but it’s possible. And you still catch fish waytogo

Attachments:
    1. IMG_20160615_214537679.jpg

2. IMG_20160615_212637120.jpg

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

yeah i hear ya nick. I guess I was feeling defensive last night. it was more a response based off of collective criticism on this site rather than just what a few said here in this post. Been a whole lot of arm chair financial advisors over the years on this site that berate people that finance things. It gets annoying. I think we all know that not paying interest is a good idea if you have that opportunity.

Speaking of boats this warm weather has me really excited to get mine out on the river!

jon_wbl

Bought my Fishhawk new in 01. It has a lot of life left in it and no plans to change.

KwickStick
    At the intersection of Pools 6 & 7

Same here. Bought a new Lund 1675 tiller with a 60 Merc 4-stroke in 2001. Both still going strong and no plans to change.

xplorer
    Cloquet, MN

1990 14ft Lund tiller/20 hp Evinrude. Started boat-in camping at Voyaguers NP
    so bought…

1997 16′ Lund Explorer tiller/30hp Honda Awesome combo, but one scary storm on
    Namakan with the wife on a camping trip led to a …..

2000 17′ Lund Prosport/90 Honda Over 700 hours on the motor with nary a hickup,
    but fishing Lake Superior more and taking friends of my son on our family
    camping trips to VNP, as well as another big nasty on Rainy led to ….

2012 18.5′ Lund Tyee/175 V-Rod Has been incredible since purchase in Sept ’12.
    Got a great deal as an end of season deal, and had everything we wanted
    (full topset, tow pylon, ladder) Last boat for me most likely, unless I
    retire to Florida or Central America. Then its a flats/nearshore rig.

targaman
    Inactive
    Wilton, WI

yeah i hear ya nick. I guess I was feeling defensive last night. it was more a response based off of collective criticism on this site rather than just what a few said here in this post. Been a whole lot of arm chair financial advisors over the years on this site that berate people that finance things. It gets annoying. I think we all know that not paying interest is a good idea if you have that opportunity.

Speaking of boats this warm weather has me really excited to get mine out on the river!

That’s why I posted that. It was sarcasm.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>crappie55369 wrote:</div>

That’s why I posted that. It was sarcasm.

Yup I picked up on that targaman.

Viewing 11 posts - 31 through 41 (of 41 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.