How Can We Keep Our Schools Safe?

• suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

1) Regulate the AR and other fully automatic / military style weapons. Not saying you can’t own one and enjoy your hobbies, but there should be a waiting period and significant background check for these weapons capable of mass destruction.

I cannot stand behind this one. It leads the way to all semi-auto’s.
    Mass destruction? doah

lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>lindyrig79 wrote:</div>
    Go ahead and reverse the order. I said we need all 3, what part of that don’t you understand? I’m not even following your argument anymore… you’ve lost me.

I don’t understand ? I am arguing ? You asked this question over a month ago… do you still need an answer ? I posted a simple A,B,C question, you came back with 1,2,3 in reverse order. I asked you to pick one to start with initially, that will have the most immediate and lasting impact, you act like I am typing in Chinese ? Then basseyes posts pretty much what I was saying and you see the light… no wonder your lost. Go back and read your initial question and how you thought a “school land security” division of the FBI was a good idea… it is… then 17 pages later your #1 is regulate AR and fully auto weapons ??? Let me know when you get that full auto… you are lost.

Take it easy man. FWIW I still think a special division of FBI or some other task force would be a good idea. I think that would be linked to #3 and the mental health field. If, during some of the screenings at school, a therapist identified a threat, they would need somewhere to report it and have that group take it seriously.

big_g
    Isle, MN

I am fine, maybe even level-headed. lol

lindyrig79

Cool waytogo

I will admit that my wording for #1 wasn’t ideal. The point is that ARs can be modified to perform almost like fully autos whether with bump stocks, high capacity magazines, or other modifications. Not even saying to ban any of this, but a waiting period and background check seem like relatively simple things to put in place for the ARs since they seem to be the weapon of choice for most mass shootings.

If someone has a better idea related to #1 I am all ears. Or maybe we can figure out a way to eliminate it altogether, but we need to figure out a way to prevent a kid like Cruz from walking in and buying a gun – that’s the point

Again, this will accomplish little to nothing by itself. It needs to work in tandem with #2 and #3 and then I think we could see a significant reduction in these school shootings.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

relatively simple things to put in place for the ARs since they seem to be the weapon of choice for most mass shootings.

Handguns are used twice as much over rifles (Including ARs) in mass shooting since 1982.

Don’t buy into what the fake new media is shoving down our throats. smash

-J.

lindyrig79

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>lindyrig79 wrote:</div>
    relatively simple things to put in place for the ARs since they seem to be the weapon of choice for most mass shootings.

Handguns are used twice as much over rifles (Including ARs) in mass shooting since 1982.

Don’t buy into what the fake new media is shoving down our throats. smash

-J.

I have looked it up Jon. Handguns are used more often, but higher death totals result with the AR.

Compromise people. Otherwise we stay stuck.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

The point is once there is a ban on AR’s, and changes nothing, they come after our hand guns. And that is their ultimate goal. Banning guns, not making schools safer.

-J.

c_w
    central MN

Good thing we banned something before today’s rampage! Oh wait they used a knife. Lindyrig can you add knives to your weapons of mass destruction list please?

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

The point is once there is a ban on AR’s, and changes nothing, they come after our hand guns. And that is their ultimate goal. Banning guns, not making schools safer.

-J.

Absolutely. Its certainly not to save lives because there is no stopping humans from doing that. And if they ever figured out a way to cheat violent death we would overpopulate our planet and kill ourselves that way.

ps-buy an NRA membership for you or someone else.

lindyrig79

What ban? Who said anything about a ban?

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

What ban? Who said anything about a ban?

in through one ear out the other. you say regulation they hear ban.

This kind of thing happens on both sides btw

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Don’t be naive. Banning AR-15 is being sought after. Many people want to ban all guns. If hand guns are responsible for majority of gun deaths, how can you suggest this won’t be next?

The only way a ban on anything should ever be considered is if law enforcement and military are banned from using them on us soil as well. This is the only argument for preserving our freedom.

big_g
    Isle, MN

What about an AR or any gun, is not already “regulated” ? Telling someone 18-20 years old they cannot buy an AR is “banning” them from owning them. Telling someone they cannot have a magazine that holds more than 6 rounds, is “banning” them from owning them. You can say you are “regulating” them, but something that exists that you are prohibited from owning legally, is banned.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Something just occurred to me. They want to raise the age to buy a gun to 21. With this logic, they are either saying A our young adults cannot tell right from wrong or B they’re saying that they are much more likely to commit a violent crime with a gun.

So, the end result to A should be to raise the age a person becomes an adult to 21 so they cannot be prosecuted by law as an adult until you are 21.

B would suggest that our young adults have a very high rate of mental illness.

Either way, it doesn’t make sense.

gizmoguy
    Crystal,MN

If they raise the age to buy a gun which is a right guaranteed by the constitution. They should also raise the age to exercise your constitutional right to free speech and to vote.
    This comes under – Careful what you wish for.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

If they raise the age to buy a gun which is a right guaranteed by the constitution. They should also raise the age to exercise your constitutional right to free speech and to vote.
    This comes under – Careful what you wish for.

Exactly my point. If they determined you aren’t capable of making good decisions until you are 21, then this makes perfect sense.

Al Case

I’ve asked this question many times on comment boards and never got an answer….”What gun law will help stop/prevent a school shooting tomorrow, next week, next month? More armed guards/teachers in schools will help immediately.”

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

A 21 year old national age limit to buy guns, vote and drink is probably a great idea but I feel if someone is adult and mature enough to enlist in the armed forces at 18 or 19 to give at least 4 years of service to the country they should also be able to enjoy some privileges such as drinking, voting and gun ownership after they have gotten thru boot camp successfully. I also feel that anyone who fails at service and gets a dishonorable or less than honorable discharge should also be given the same rights as far as gun ownership as a convicted bank robber.

One question nags me about all of this regulation stuff. What about the guy who works his butt off and enjoys shooting sports and hunting and has lawfully bought some guns only to have a kid with loose wires in the house become an issue. I think any household that has a person inside that is knowingly capable of crap behavior and has legal guns inside should be required to have them inside a locked safe with no possible access available to the loose cannon. With everyone looking at mental health issues now, I think such a requirement should be a part of the “fix”. Every one of m guns has a lock and the keys are kept in a completely different area of the house but its just Ma and I.

lindyrig79

I think there are a lot of people looking at this FL situation and wondering how can a kid who is so obviously disturbed walk in and buy a gun. He had pictures of dead animals and things on social media and was publicly making threats of hurting people. Hence the idea of a waiting period, and background check, if done properly could have potentially stopped him.

But… maybe you guys are right. Maybe a background check is just too much. Maybe the better solution, along with the other two I posted, is to empower law enforcement to detain such an obviously disturbed / threatening individual prior to him acting. Pick your poison I guess.

But please have the main takeaway be… there is not one solution for this, we need to work together from multiple angles, and just perhaps, being willing to compromise a little bit to better protect our kids.

big_g
    Isle, MN

When I buy a gun, they submit an application and I wait… about 20 minutes. What exactly does this do ? I am not against it taking 3 days to do this check… if it is actually being done correctly and is effective. Nik Cruz bought his weapon from a dealer…? If I posted on-line that I wanted to be a professional school shooter and this was known to anybody with an internet connection, I would think when my form gets entered for the background check, it would say DENIED. Having 39 interactions with law enforcement as a 19 year old, I would think would be red flags. Moreover, I would think if I posted that on the internet, I would have someone knocking on my door to investigate the threat ???

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

Exactly, enforce or fix the laws that are already on the books. What a concept!

-J.

basseyes

But… maybe you guys are right. Maybe a background check is just too much. Maybe the better solution, along with the other two I posted, is to empower law enforcement to detain such an obviously disturbed / threatening individual prior to him acting. Pick your poison I guess.

To keep schools safe from guns, we make it harder to get guns, seems logical on the surface.

But what about guns already out there?

Curbing guns from falling in the wrong hands will take decades to have any affect.

So what can we do to make schools safer right now?

Protect the asset.

Gun control has no immediate impact on school safety, but it has an immediate impact on constitutional rights of law abiding citizens.

You have to ask yourself, is the freedom written in constitution, and the constitution itself so meaningless, that we are willfully giving up on it, for any reason no matter how small? Yes topically it seems there’s a lot of kid’s lives on the line if we don’t ban or more highly regulate firearms, but at the cost of the freedoms endowed in the constitution will eventually end up costing more lives. The freedoms we have, came at a great cost of lives and blood shed, that fact is not lost on me and I feel greatly in debt to many young men, women, parents and leaders that saw past short term gains, and did not bow on bended knee to tyranny. It pains me greatly, as a father of five and two grandkids to see these school shootings. I don’t hate kids or support killing with firearms, that is against the law already, that doesn’t stop it from happening.

It pains me greater to see the ignorance of our youth so willingly buying into mistakes proven by history. If you give up another’s freedom so willingly, so to will your freedoms be taken from you, but not so willingly. Then the word compromise will have a whole different meaning.

lindyrig79

Should we allow a kid like Nik Cruz to buy a gun? Yes or No?

TripleA
    Blaine

TSA was an easy decision and has worked out great, obvious hiccups but there is no way to take the human element out of it.

Heavy security and snipers are now at every big concert and event thanks to the Vegas shooting.

The real criminals are the people who think armed security in schools is not the best option. They literally only say it to try and get the gun ban rolling. Kids are dying because certain people in power want guns. Plain and simple.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Kids are dying because certain people in power want guns. Plain and simple.

What?!

big_g
    Isle, MN

Should we allow a kid like Nik Cruz to buy a gun? Yes or No?

NO.. obviously the back ground check is not being done properly.

Was OBVIOUS mental issues present prior to any shooting by Nik Cruz ? Yes or No.

If Nik Cruz did not get that gun, does he forget about doing harm ? Yes or No.

Were getting somewhere now…

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

The real criminals are the people who think armed security in schools is not the best option.

Wow! that’s a pretty dumb statement you’ve got there. Criminal? To have an opinion that opposes yours? Ok…..

Anywho, back to the conversation. Thinking out loud here but I do have some concerns about the physiological impact of making our schools into pseudo security prisons as some have suggested. I have no idea if it would make a difference and if so how big of a difference but I have a feeling it would have a negative impact on a kids psyche. I imagine the response from those in favor will be along the lines of “if that’s what it takes so be it its better they are alive than dead” I wont argue with you on that Its just something that concerns me and it hasn’t been brought up at all that I can see either here or in the media. Thoughts?

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

Do you feel locked up after you pass through TSA security check at the airport? This is a non-issue. The students are asking for protection. Lets give them what they want here.

-J.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Pseudo security prisons? Really? Is that how you view about sports arenas and stadiums? They’re protected better than our schools. Why? Because we would rather spend our money on sports than our schools.

Apparently kids are afraid for their lives in school. I wonder what the psychological impact of that is?

Viewing 30 posts - 511 through 540 (of 549 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.