Hot sheepshead bite

• fish-them-all
    Oakdale, MN

Water temp was up to 69 yesterday on the Croix. The sheepshead bite is on fire if you like to catch them. I went through a few dozen crawlers yesterday afternoon feeding the sheep in between walleye bites. Was almost hot out yesterday when the wind was light. Lots of people out enjoying the day.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I noticed that. If they were only bigger….

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

You guys trolling at all or just using crawlers? I’m going to be out all day tomorrow and feel like the trolling bite should be on fire. We’ll have crawlers but fighting the sheepies can be tough sometimes.

404 ERROR
    MN

I noticed that. If they were only bigger….

Like this? They get tiring eventually…

Attachments:
    1. Drum.jpg

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

You conveniently cropped out your sheepshead hotspot. bawling

404 ERROR
    MN

You conveniently cropped out your sheepshead hotspot. bawling

That might not be the only big fish in that area… twisted

fish-them-all
    Oakdale, MN

You guys trolling at all or just using crawlers? I’m going to be out all day tomorrow and feel like the trolling bite should be on fire. We’ll have crawlers but fighting the sheepies can be tough sometimes.

I was just pulling crawlers, but trolling should work well too. Many times i am working small areas on the croix that trolling would be hard to do. Picking up the speed tends to keep the sheepsters at bay.

craig s

North of wlm O-Brian you can’t even fish in less than 8 feet of water right now because of those dumb fish.i did get my second biggest on wed evening,11-1/2 lb’r doah

triton186
    Hudson, WI

Matt…trolling lead is working well most days 15-20 fow but Saturday am was the exception…only 3 short fish.

smackemup
    North Metro

Was out yesterday trolling cranks, to my surprise we only pulled a couple decent perch and a sumo sheep! Beautiful day out there, we will get em next time

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

We were out Saturday with nothing to show for lead. Vertical jigging bite was really good for us and put some keepers in the boat, though.

Lotta shorts and a whole lotta sheepies. Fished til we ran out of bait!

Attachments:
    1. F276BDFA-A1BB-4D1F-985F-01FC51CBF4A7.jpeg

Evan Veire

Went out Sunday from 8-12 trolling cranks and pulling crawlers between Afton and St. Croix bluffs. Caught 6 species but only 2 short eyes. Beautiful morning and the wife had fun so win-win.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Lake Zumbro seems to have a sheephead explosion going on too. We put one in our boat. A nice catfish too. Plus this…..and a few crappies.

Attachments:
    1. 33146685_582568272118637_6361466028509102080_n.jpg

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I’ve been out two late afternoons the last week and have not personally caught a keeper yet. Last night several D-bags squeezed me off my spot but they weren’t biting anyways.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Hot sheephead bite. I’m pretty sure it’s the entire river right now. I fished franconia, Stillwater, and by the kinni. They were thick each place. Gets annoying when you go through 3 dozen crawlers on sheephead

Justin riegel

I found last night after going through a dozen crawlers and switching to leeches the sheeps weren’t as fast and i was able to pick two nice keeper eyes in 30 minutes of the switch

eyeguy507
    SE MN

Has anyone here eaten drum? Is it that terrible or is it an old wives tail? I always assumed they were like roughfish and had tons of bones but that is not the case. It’s a firmer meat from what I understand. I mean you can go to your local supermarket and buy pollack and that un breaded is just aweful.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

Has anyone here eaten drum? Is it that terrible or is it an old wives tail? I always assumed they were like roughfish and had tons of bones but that is not the case. It’s a firmer meat from what I understand. I mean you can go to your local supermarket and buy pollack and that un breaded is just aweful.

I ate one Sunday next to crappie and sauger.
    Totally edible.

If I didn’t know it was sheepshead I probably would’ve enjoyed it… Similar to feeding someone venison who hates venison (just don’t tell them)

Sheep is filet on right, crappie middle, sauger left.

Attachments:
    1. CameraZOOM-20180603193643324-1.jpg

404 ERROR
    MN

I have not eaten them since I don’t eat much fish but my brother does every now and then. He says there’s no noticeable difference and just as good when battered and fried?

zooks

Redfish in coastal waters are also drums and they’re really prized for their table fare, I would imagine you could treat sheeps the same way in recipes.

We’ve kept some sheeps before but have always smoked it, never fried it up.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I cant imagine them being bad to eat. My cabin neighbor is a new outdoorsman. A couple years ago he kept and ate a dogfish not knowing what it was. I later identified the skeleton. To this day he claims it was delicious.

craig s

I cant imagine them being bad to eat. My cabin neighbor is a new outdoorsman. A couple years ago he kept and ate a dogfish not knowing what it was. I later identified the skeleton. To this day he claims it was delicious.

There’s a guy at my local watering hole that claims dogfish are the most underrated fish to eat.
    I’ll take his word for it…

404 ERROR
    MN

A couple years ago he kept and ate a dogfish not knowing what it was. I later identified the skeleton. To this day he claims it was delicious.

Brother also eats those…but I guess the trick is to keep them alive until right before filleting and to eat them fresh only…

You can get a good look at a butcher’s arss by sticking your head up there. But, wouldn’t you rather to take his word for it?

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

insert vomit emoji here

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.