Honest man making an honest living

• sticker
    StillwaterMN/Ottertail county

WOW, there is a lot of jealousy here.

My wife and I both have nice vehicles, we have a nice home with acreage and have had a cabin on Mille Lacs for 26 years and I have a great Warrior boat. I am not up to my neck in debt and I am not living check to check, but I am not rolling in cash either. I do have some debt. I wasn’t handed anything! I got a decent job in the trades where I have been working for 31 years. I hunt and fish as much as I want…well almost. It didn’t come easy, but it’s stuff I wanted and I worked for it. If I am a D-bag for having nice stuff then so be it. I am dang proud of all of it.

tegg
    Hudson, Wi/Aitkin Co

Exactly, reminds me of one of my favorite songs….”The Grand Illusion” by Styx. Only some of you may remember them and that song.

The irony of course is I believe the singer makes a suggestion to “get yourself a brand new motor car”.

tegg
    Hudson, Wi/Aitkin Co

My wife and I both have nice vehicles, we have a nice home with acreage and have had a cabin on Mille Lacs for 26 years and I have a great Warrior boat. I am not up to my neck in debt and I am not living check to check, but I am not rolling in cash either. I do have some debt. I wasn’t handed anything! I got a decent job in the trades where I have been working for 31 years. I hunt and fish as much as I want…well almost. It didn’t come easy, but it’s stuff I wanted and I worked for it. If I am a D-bag for having nice stuff then so be it. I am dang proud of all of it.

I think it comes down to asking the question: “What do I need to do to get into a better position?” This puts you into a frame of mind to plan and set goals for your own benefit. I then comes down to execution.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

This site has taught me one thing…people here don’t like people with money!

I think you could slim that sentence down to…”people here don’t like people….”

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>bob clowncolor wrote:</div>

I think you could slim that sentence down to…”people here don’t like people….”

Just some people.

watisituya
    North Metro

Interesting thread, I’d have to agree with FishBlood, “life is what you make it”

311hemi
    Dayton, MN

sleeping is it the weekend yet….? coffee

T-minus 1 hour and counting until I head up to my “trailer” on Mille Lacs, in my newer truck I bought used, while my two kids are with their grandparents for the next 7 days!

toast

steveo
    W Central Sconnie

I like that Mike. I guy I respected very much told me when I was in my twenties. “there is no shame in living BELOW your means”

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>crappie55369 wrote:</div>
    sleeping is it the weekend yet….? coffee

T-minus 1 hour and counting until I head up to my “trailer” on Mille Lacs, in my newer truck I bought used, while my two kids are with their grandparents for the next 7 days!

toast

Me too, actually I’m heading up tomorrow morning and will be there for the next 8 days. But crappies point reminds me of another classic Styx ballad…”Too Much Time On My Hands” Enjoy ye old Styx fans….

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>tegg wrote:</div>
    Starting out earlier in life I was pay check to pay check as many are. From then to now was a 25 year journey. I think people can fall into a trap and try to look at what the “Joneses” are doing. The problem with that is you cant realistically control what other people do. Worrying about things you cant control is a recipe for misery.

Exactly, reminds me of one of my favorite songs….”The Grand Illusion” by Styx. Only some of you may remember them and that song.

And to Mike W’s point…I think it is a bit presumptuous to say
    “but you see so many others slacking and driving shiny new equipment around and enjoying things like fishing in brand new boats and ice houses.” Or to imply that they’re in irresponsible debt or that it was some kind of inheritance. I know of many highly motivated individuals who started with basically nothing and earned all that they possess from their own hard work.

sure hope that wasnt my point.

marvins
    Kansas

It’s the MAN keeping us down.

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

sure hope that wasnt my point.

I’m still not sure what the point of this thread was to begin with.
    Meanwhile, we can still hope for that “Crystal Ball”

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

my point was everything in my life is my fault. i loose a job to a lower bidder its my fault. i see someone with a nice boat i would like to have its my fault. dont take enough time fishing again my own fault.

Mike Stephens
    WI.

Exactly the way I feel Sticker. waytogo

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

and all this time I thought people didn’t like me because I use a Marcum, don’t believe in global warming, have no opinion on Mille Lacs walleye population and there ain’t no such thing as an AIS problem.

Pailofperch
    Central Mn North of the smiley water tower

I’ve been self employed for 9 years now in construction. I work my butt off. I’ve earned a reputation for working harder than most, and have much higher quality standards than most. The last 3-5 years have really been turning out well.
    I don’t have any fancy toys, but am not bothered by anyone who does, as long as the people with the big, new, flashy stuff don’t rub it in my face, or make fun of me for having rusty or dirty or older equipment. Not that most do, but there’s always “that guy”! I know several folks that have nice things that they worked for. Some, maybe not as hard, but what business is it of mine. Its not worth getting depressed over.
    Don’t let it get you down if you’re not “keeping up” with the other guys. Be proud of your work ethic. Continue to be honest. Go fishing whenever you can, and enjoy every second of it.

riverruns
    Inactive

Envy. One of the 7 deadly sins. I’m not a preacher, but look out what you wish for.

It’s OK to be normal. I have nice stuff. Ya, better stuff will come, and if it doesn’t, who cares?

People get so caught up in a materialistic world? It’s OK not to keep up with the others.
    Shawn

Wood butcher

I guess I should have said that different I I was trying to get at was you have someone under bid you do a Shotty job inturn screwing the home owner and screwing you a contractor who would have showed up for a little more and do a quality job that you have spent years perfecting only to have someone who figured out how to pass the MN license exam looking to make a quick buck and all you get is the fix it job offered to you so they can ride around in nice decaled vehicles (new every year) spending more time doing the things we here all love to do more than work these kind of people are hurting the American economy more than anything

One man screwing others over to live well what happened to the honest man being able to make a good living and be rewarded for it.

Sorry to all I offended with my miss statements I am by no means looking for pitty I know you make what you get but these kinda people I stated above urine me off

The younger generation think they pass an exam and hit the work force and they can instantly make millions without perfecting themselves in there particular trades

Wood butcher

Sorry for not being more specific in my original post

Wood butcher

That is a good way of looking at the big picture

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

All this justifying, testimony, statements, opinions, explanations, righteousness, alibis, obsessions, you name it…this thread has become more twisted than when JD Winston was still in town.
    Now I have become obsessed with Styx songs being the answer.
    So Wood Butcher, I leave you with “Blue Collar Man”

Dan
    Southeast MN

JD Winston!

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

For generations business has been conducted this way. It is what it is and has nothing to do with the younger generation.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

BTW if your business involves working with wood i wouldn’t want to be known as the “wood butcher” even on a internet forum.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

my point was everything in my life is my fault. i loose a job to a lower bidder its my fault. i see someone with a nice boat i would like to have its my fault. dont take enough time fishing again my own fault.

Haha, kind of how I look at my life Mike. Should have a T-SHIRT shirt: “eating consequences of my choices, everyday!”

Rob92761
    La Crosse WI

To the OP I am in the home building and remodeling business. And for some reason this all about the dollar. Customers says i can get it done cheaper. My repose is I use middle grade products with good quality Labor. Also i will ask how many bids are you getting and if more than three i will not waste my time on bidding it out. Because these customers are looking for the cheapest price and person and in the long run will be hard to satisfy them.

I have a saying If I can not make money on a job, i might as will go fishing. because if i go fishing i will lose $2.50 (the cost of worms). If i under cut or bid to low it could go into the thousands.

Viewing 29 posts - 31 through 59 (of 59 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.