Walleye outing went south

• Richard V.
    Somewhere over the rainbow

I went out for walleye this morning but it didn’t pan out. This morning it was perfectly calm while I was getting the boat hooked to my truck. And as I was going around Paola I took a gander of Miola Lake there was not a wave on the lake. Ten miles later I was crossing the dam at Hillsdale and the wind was blowing 20-25 mph. That is not a big deal for my little flat bottom boat. By the time I got out on the main lake it was starting to white cap so I headed over by the Marysville boat ramp to toss jig with ringworm at the shade by shore. After about a half hour with only one bump I headed over to crappie cove to use the same technique. About a dozen 12″ white bass later and a LDR short walleye I decided to past the bridge on the little Bull arm. By this time the wind is blowing a lot harder (40-45 mph)so the only place I can fish up there is the west bank. I thought it is time to switch over to crappie and vertical jigging. An hour later and I have caught 4 crappie and only one is a keeper but I am out of the strong wind. So I started thinking to myself where can I fish today with this wind. I put together a plan cuz there are some serious 3 foot rollers out there, I figured I would fish the river channel just south of the causeway to stay out of the wind. Then slide over to the east side of Hillsdale point staying out of the big waves. Ride on top of the waves to cross the big Bull arm and into Wade’s branch. And surf the waves to Scott’s creek. Now I have a plan to get back to my truck and I am going to look for any opportunities to fish along my way. To make a long story short I didn’t have so much as a bite the rest of the day.

I do want to thank all the guys that recommended Sufix Elite Hi-Vis Yellow to me on a previous post. Help finding a good/visible/mono line I got the 8 pound like Jason Halfen said for pitching jigs. I got a H2O jig snagged in timber and cut my finger on the line trying to break the line and had to get a better grip to break it. Also a big kudos for them H2O jigs they are tough as nails and hold onto plastic like it is glued to the jig.

I almost forgot the conditions

Water temperature = 53-54

Visability = unlimited

Water clarity = heavy stain

Wind = Ridiculous

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.