Help with New Large Pike / Musky Rod

• fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

I ended up purchasing a new Daiwa Lexa HD at a great price on Clearance ( 149.99 ) It is the 300 size. Now I need a new rod to put it on. I plan on mainly using this new setup to fish small – Medium size bucktails for large pike in Canada as well as some Muskie’s here. I know the whole trend is longer and longer rods. I have no idea of what rod to pair the reel with. I also don’t have a idea of what action rating would work the best. I’m assuming a Heavy action. If more than 7.5 Ft it most likely would need top be a Telescoping one due to storage in rod locker. I would like to hear some suggestions from those here who fish bucktails for large pike and Musky. Since this rod would be getting rather limited use, I would prefer tp make spend a ton of $ for it. I would like to keep the price point under 200.00 if possible, or at least close to it. Lets here your thoughts.

Youbetcha
    Anoka County

How small of bucktails will you throw? I really like a stiffer rod but the smallest bucktails I throw will still load a stiffer rod enough to load it. Around that price range I would look into the bulldawg pro rods. They are $220 with $30 shipping but they are a nice rod I think. Lots of options. Throne bros is running their spring sale this weekend too.

bigstick56
    Lester Prairie, MN

Take a look at Choas rods, Sounds like the Assault stick Surgical Strike or Tactical Strike would fit your bill perfectly. They run about $219.

tswoboda

By small-Medium bucktails I assume you mean single bladed like Muskie Killers, Harassers, and Rabid Squirrels up to maybe double 8 colorados at the largest.

If you’re limited to 7.5′ storage you have to go telescopic so good call there. Go 8.5′ minimum, that’s been the standard for 20 years so not just a fad. Power ratings vary based on manufacturer but look for something rated roughly 1-4 oz. lures… likely MH in musky rods.

Reel seats and handles are pretty important in musky rods IMO so I’d get hands on them before buying one. There’s the traditional trigger seat, palming seat, and then the new Jig Ripper or Revolution style seats. Same for full grip or split grip and cork or winn grip handles. All personal preference stuff.

Chaos Assault Sticks have gotten popular around that price range and also Tackle Industries rods is a budget option that’s been around for years. Daiwa Prorex is telescopic and would match your reel lol. Okuma has some cheap telescopic options that have been around forever. I doubt Croix has anything telescopic in that price range. Lots of options, get to Thorne Bros if you can.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I would personally try to avoid using a telescopic rod or a 2 piece. If the rod locker cannot handle anything longer than 7.5 feet, that is what I would select for length.

Mine has an 8 foot max for rods so my muskie sticks are 8 feet.

tswoboda

I would personally try to avoid using a telescopic rod or a 2 piece.

Why is that? The only issue I ever see with Telescopic rods is the rod gets stuck in the extended position if they rarely collapse it.

Maybe I’m the exception but I haven’t used a rod locker for musky rods in a long time and anything under 9′ feels really awkward to fish with.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

There are times when my gear is unattended and my rod/reels need to be locked away, so I put them in the rod locker which has a keyed lock on it. I’m paranoid about my stuff getting stolen. I lock my main tackle locker too when its unattended.

tswoboda

There are times when my gear is unattended and my rod/reels need to be locked away, so I put them in the rod locker which has a keyed lock on it. I’m paranoid about my stuff getting stolen. I lock my main tackle locker too when its unattended.

Good call, I don’t deal with that much and when I do am probably too lax in leaving my stuff unsecured.

Why are you against the telescopic or 2-piece rods for fitting in storage?

CaptainMusky

My musky rods wont fit in the rod locker and I would just lay them in the back of the boat and my buddy was convinced they were going to fly out of the boat. Has never happened. As long as I am with the boat I dont bother with anything. When I get home they get put away.

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

I would personally try to avoid using a telescopic rod or a 2 piece

I get 2 piece. But other than the blanks getting stuck when trying to retract it into the handle. What is the problem with telescoping?

None of my rods fit in my rod locker and they all lay on my deck.
    Good thing I have a big deck. whistling

Tswobods is spot on and I agree a medium heavy musky rod would fit the bill.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

There’s nothing wrong with a telecoper or a 2 piece if you have storage issues. I have storage limitations, and I prefer a 1 piece. So that’s what I use.

No biggie, carry on

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

My musky rods wont fit in the rod locker and I would just lay them in the back of the boat and my buddy was convinced they were going to fly out of the boat. Has never happened. As long as I am with the boat I dont bother with anything. When I get home they get put away.

I do the same thing. Some times a rod sock will make them lift so I’ll wrap a bungee around 2 to 3 rods

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

There was a time Telescoping rods were lacking in Quality, I don’t think that is so these days. I know lots of guys who use them for both Musky and bass fishing and have not had a problem with them. Just way more load and casting distance with a longer rod and really helpful on a figure 8 at boat side.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

How small of bucktails will you throw? I really like a stiffer rod but the smallest bucktails I throw will still load a stiffer rod enough to load it. Around that price range I would look into the bulldawg pro rods. They are $220 with $30 shipping but they are a nice rod I think. Lots of options. Throne bros is running their spring sale this weekend too.

Muskie Killers, Harassers, and Rabid Squirrels up to maybe double 8 colorados at the largest.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

By small-Medium bucktails I assume you mean single bladed like Muskie Killers, Harassers, and Rabid Squirrels up to maybe double 8 colorados at the largest.

Yep. That is the size bucktails I’m talking

Hodag Hunter
    Northern Wisconsin

Last year I looked at every musky rod within 50 miles of my house. I talked to the guys at Thorne Brothers too. I have a Sage from them (1982?). I almost order a custom rod from them. Musky Shop in Minocqua WI by far had the largest selection. They have hundreds in stock. I looked at every brand they had in 8-9′. Thought I was going to get Shimano Skixx until I put one in my hand. To me every rod felt like a club compared to the St Croixs.

I ended up with a Premier 8’6″ MH. I wasn’t disappointed. It casts every bait I want. I’m not a huge bait (Medussa type) guy. It’s bigger/stiffer than my G. Loomis 7′. I almost bought the Legend. But I wasn’t sure how much I would musky fish so I bought the less expensive Premier. I thought if I fished a lot I would get the legend this summer. Instead I recently bought a quality 9’4″ 11wt musky fly rod and way to many flies. I’m happy with my choice.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.