Heated Socks, Insoles, or ???

• fishinfreaks
    Rogers, MN

With each year, I’m noticing my feet struggling to stay warm on the ice and late season in the boat (it was awfully chilly on LOTW last week). I’ve tried the stick on foot warmers, and they just don’t seem to cut it as the day goes along. My feet get really hot to start, but they only last 6 hours. It’s the end of the day that I need the warmth. My feet are warm enough on their own to start. But I don’t want to take the boots off out on the ice or in the boat to put the stick on foot warmer in. So I’m looking at battery powered socks or insoles (or open to other suggestions).

What are people’s experiences with ThermaCell insoles? What about heated socks? Here are a couple I’ve found:

ActionHeat Battery Heated Wool Socks at $129

or these

Lenz Heated Socks w/ Android App for $299.

They’re all very expensive, and I don’t want to make a mistake with what I purchase. I like the socks with the app. Good idea. But here’s a next level question. Okay, say they work great. I fish for 4-5 days in a row. I don’t like the idea of wearing a pair of socks that many days…stink seems like it would be an issue. But I certainly cannot afford multiple pairs (heck, if my wife knew about them, I couldn’t afford one pair!).

So what should I do?

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

By chance are your feet sweating? I kept on buying better insulated boots and socks years ago till I realized that my socks were wet from foot sweat. They even sweat in shoes at work.

For my issue I have found that lighter insulated boots and good wool socks to work best for me. I still have to put them on the boot drier at the end of the day but my feet stay warmer now as they don’t sweat as bad.

haleysgold
    SE MN

By chance are your feet sweating? I kept on buying better insulated boots and socks years ago till I realized that my socks were wet from foot sweat. They even sweat in shoes at work.

For my issue I have found that lighter insulated boots and good wool socks to work best for me. I still have to put them on the boot drier at the end of the day but my feet stay warmer now as they don’t sweat as bad.

My feet sweat…light socks, lighter insulated boot, doesn’t matter, they still sweat.
    My feet freeze after about 3 hours no matter what i do.
    I have pair of 20 buck menards battery operated socks. No help, they still get cold.
    I’d love to hear the expensive socks work. For me, it would be worth it.
    Hoping someone knows the answer.

Dan
    Southeast MN

Have you tried sock liners. My feet sweat as well but the sock liners keep them dry and warm. You wear them under your insulated socks.

I’m in a never-ending battle to keep my fingers and toes warm as well. I’ve never tried the heated socks or boots but I have layered them with thinner socks, which might be like these sock liners Gill is mentioning. I’ve got two pair of Ice Armor base layer socks, but I’ve used dress socks as well. This way the base layer socks kind of absorb your sweat and your outer, thicker socks keep you warmer.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Bunny Boots, problem solved.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Correct. They act like a good base layer underwear.

Sometimes I wear wool socks around the house only to get cold feet. I find that the small amount of sweat is evaporating directly from my skin thus cooling them. If I pair them with a sock liner, problem solved.

By wicking away the moisture you eliminate the evaporation which is what cools your skin.

Same thing inside a boot.

Personally I’d save the cash and buy a good boot like the Baffin Apex.

fishinfreaks
    Rogers, MN

I do wear a sock liner with a merino wool sock over the top. It doesn’t matter the boot I’m wearing…actually, the lighter boot lets my foot get cold faster. My feet don’t seem to be damp, nor do my boots at the end of the day, so I don’t think that’s my issue. I think I’ve solved that with the liners and merino wool. That’s why I’m looking into this option. Hopefully someone will have some experience with them.

The Pessimist

x2

Battled cold feet for years. Got a pair of Bunny’s at the St. Paul Show seven years ago and have not had cold feet since that purchase.

Outdraft
    Western Wi.

I have the thermacell proflex ones and have used them every day for the past week, so far I think they work quite well. My feet haven’t been cold since I’ve worn them. I’ve been wearing them bowhunting usually for 4 hrs at a time and my feet have never gotten cold, they don’t get hot but they never get cold.I bought the cheaper ones with the remote but they didn’t work for crap took them back

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Before spending big bucks on heated options, first what boot are you wearing?

The second thing is are you cramming so many socks on that the boot is too tight? I hear this all the time from people with cold feet, they get cold so first thing they do is put on more/thicker socks and that makes the boot tighter and makes the problem worse. Boots MUST be sized to fit the socks you’re actually going to wear. This makes a huge difference, boots and socks must be a system.

Finally, on the deer stand or ice fishing, what are you standing on? If you don’t have a layer of carpet or rubber under your feet, you’re essentially giving away precious heat every second. Bring along a couple of carpet squares to stand on and be amazed at how warm your boots suddenly got.

Grouse.

fishinfreaks
    Rogers, MN

Before spending big bucks on heated options, first what boot are you wearing?

The second thing is are you cramming so many socks on that the boot is too tight? I hear this all the time from people with cold feet, they get cold so first thing they do is put on more/thicker socks and that makes the boot tighter and makes the problem worse. Boots MUST be sized to fit the socks you’re actually going to wear. This makes a huge difference, boots and socks must be a system.

Finally, on the deer stand or ice fishing, what are you standing on? If you don’t have a layer of carpet or rubber under your feet, you’re essentially giving away precious heat every second. Bring along a couple of carpet squares to stand on and be amazed at how warm your boots suddenly got.

Grouse.

I’ve been pretty vigilant about buying boots a 1/2 size bigger than needed so that I’ve got space in there. I wear a thin liner sock and a pair of Smart Wool socks. With that, I’ve still got ample space for air in there. In the fall I’m wearing a pair of insulated Muck boots. In the winter I’m wearing Ice Kings pack boots. They’re both good boots and should provide ample warmth. I think it’s just an aging thing – plus I’ve lost a ton of weight this year, and I’m noticing everything is colder easier. So that’s why I want to go this route.

zooks

My feet get cold very easy as well and IMO you just have to spend the money on bigger, better boots. I have a pair of 10yr old Cabela’s Predator Extreme Pac boots that I really like because of the Thinsulate + 9MM liner combo (other reviews are mixed) but suggestions like quality pacs or highly insulated rubber boots will probably be your best solution.

The liner socks are also great because I’ve found that I need a material with a fairly tight knit/weave next to my feet for moisture and temp regulation vs a looser knit sock like a mid or heavy weight merino. Merino liners are sweet but poly liners work well too and are easier on the budget.

I have no experience with battery operated socks but they look a little gimmicky to me and I’d also have extended wear/durability concerns. I could be wrong but I’m not willing to spend the $$ to find out.

Hope this helps, good luck with what you decide.

zooks

I’ve been pretty vigilant about buying boots a 1/2 size bigger than needed so that I’ve got space in there. I wear a thin liner sock and a pair of Smart Wool socks. With that, I’ve still got ample space for air in there. In the fall I’m wearing a pair of insulated Muck boots. In the winter I’m wearing Ice Kings pack boots. They’re both good boots and should provide ample warmth. I think it’s just an aging thing – plus I’ve lost a ton of weight this year, and I’m noticing everything is colder easier. So that’s why I want to go this route.

Well with this extra info, maybe the heated socks are a good route for you. Tough spot to be in, being cold takes the fun out of everything.

Tuma
    Inactive
    Farmington, MN

waytogo

fishinfreaks
    Rogers, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>eelpoutguy wrote:</div>

waytogo

We’re in the boat and in deep snow, so the Bunny Boots don’t seem a good option.

Brady Valberg

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Tuma wrote:</div>

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>eelpoutguy wrote:</div>

waytogo

We’re in the boat and in deep snow, so the Bunny Boots don’t seem a good option.

I’m not going to lie here check into bunny boots.
    I battled cold feet for ever and on top of it I’m a smoker so have terrible circulation…i not wear them for everything from fishing on ice or boat and hunting anything from ducks to coyote.1 pair of wool socks for me. They do take some time to get use to they are heavier but think of it as a leg workout. When the snow gets that deep I’m usually on the couch or walking in my snow shoes

Mudshark
    LaCrosse WI

For years I used bunny boots….They were warm but very heavy and didn’t have great traction……
    I don’t even wear wool socks socks with my Baffins and they weight 1/2 of the bunnies….

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Given that your boots are sized right and if Ice Kings don’t keep you warm, IMO no other boot is going to be that much better. Just thought I’d bring up these factors before you went a different direction.

Grouse

fishinfreaks
    Rogers, MN

Given that your boots are sized right and if Ice Kings don’t keep you warm, IMO no other boot is going to be that much better. Just thought I’d bring up these factors before you went a different direction.

Grouse

waytogo waytogo

Hopefully someone will have some experience with the battery powered socks and insoles to share as well.

craig s

This may have been said but, when it’s cold and I’m on a tree stand its amazing what loosening up your boots will do..

Bassn Dan

The other question is, what do you wear for a Hat?

Wear a WARM hat (not just a stylish ball cap) and a scarf to keep from losing body heat from your head and neck (where your body loses the most heat) and your feet and hands will also be warmer. If you lose heat from your head the FIRST thing your body does is reduce circulation to your hands and feet – therefore cold hands and feet…

The old mountain men used to say “If your feet are cold put your hat on.” and they survived without Baffin boots, Striker Ice suits, Under Armor base layers, etc……..

fishinfreaks
    Rogers, MN

To the original question – does anyone have any experience with the heated insoles or heated socks that I mentioned? I dress well, have enough space in my boots, wear good coats, bibs, gloves, hats, base layers, etc. My feet get cold.

I’m looking for help with making a decision on which heated insoles or socks to buy.

fishinfreaks
    Rogers, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>fishinfreaks wrote:</div>
    To the original question – does anyone have any experience with the heated insoles or heated socks that I mentioned? I dress well, have enough space in my boots, wear good coats, bibs, gloves, hats, base layers, etc. My feet get cold.

I’m looking for help with making a decision on which heated insoles or socks to buy.

Thermocells. That’s what I have. Couldn’t remember the name in my last post. They have been ON the last two days with the cold temps and are GREAT! But as in my first post, they add considerable height in the boot if you can’t remove the boots insoles…hence why I can’t wear wool socks now but they are not needed. Another tidbit, my style I have to remove the thermocell insoles to charge, I think a newer style you just remove the batteries.

waytogo waytogo

Outdraft
    Western Wi.

I’m still wearing mine since I responded on the 5th, so far so good,pretty comfortable but I’m just sitting in a metal treestand not walking all day in them

fishinfreaks
    Rogers, MN

I’m still wearing mine since I responded on the 5th, so far so good,pretty comfortable but I’m just sitting in a metal treestand not walking all day in them

Excellent. Are these the ones with the app or the remote?

Outdraft
    Western Wi.

The ones with the remote didn’t work for crap, I have the ones with the Bluetooth. I have them inside my ice Kings, I’m sitting in my stand right now with the setting on low and my feet are not cold at all its 21 degrees

Outdraft
    Western Wi.

I agree bob that’s why I tried the remote 1st, after I took them back and upgraded I talked to a buddy of mine and he had the same results with the remote. It was awfully hard to shell out that kind of money but I had to try it

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

Bumping an old topic:

Doing some Christmas Cyber Monday Shopping – Any decent brands or deals for heated insoles?

Any really good insoles or complete junk over the last 5 years?

Looking for heated insoles, not good boots!

Thanks in advance.

-J.

realtreeap10
    Over there

I can only speak on the Fieldsheer Premium BT insoles, I wish I could return them but bought last year. They worked to warm my feet but only lasted a few hours tops on low and you have to turn them on before putting them in your boot then switch to low. So when you wake up early to hunt and have to turn them on an hour+ before you’re even in the stand burns up a lot of power and then when you do need them later in the morning they only have a like 25% battery left. I’d say if I turned them on low at 5am they were dead by 8-8:30.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 36 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.