Humminbird Side Imaging reveals Wissota shipwreck

• jhalfen

While out looking over a long set of Wissota cribs today, my Humminbird 997 and I found something that is not a crib. Unless my eyes and Side Imaging technology deceive me….that sunken object at the end of the red arrow is a boat.

She’s no Edmund Fitzgerald, but she’s a shipwreck nonetheless.

She sits in 16 feet of water, no more than 100 feet off shore at the base of a shoreline dropoff.

One of the great features of the Humminbird Side Imaging units is that once an object appears on the screen, the user can cursor over to the object and drop a waypoint directly on it, which makes re-finding critical pieces of structure, cribs, rockpiles, weedlines, or even sunken boats a snap. Now that I’ve got a waypoint on her, I’m going to drop a camera on her before the water dirties up this summer to see what she’s all about.

sliderfishn
    Blaine, MN

The more I see screen shots from a Humminbird the more I want to get one
    Keep posting pics like this Jason as I think that they are very interesting

walleyeben
    Albertville,MN

That is sweet! Id like to see some camera pics if you get some to post!

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

While out looking over a long set of Wissota cribs today, my Humminbird 997 and I found something that is not a crib. Unless my eyes and Side Imaging technology deceive me….that sunken object at the end of the red arrow is a boat.

She’s no Edmund Fitzgerald, but she’s a shipwreck nonetheless.

She sits in 16 feet of water, no more than 100 feet off shore at the base of a shoreline dropoff.

One of the great features of the Humminbird Side Imaging units is that once an object appears on the screen, the user can cursor over to the object and drop a waypoint directly on it, which makes re-finding critical pieces of structure, cribs, rockpiles, weedlines, or even sunken boats a snap. Now that I’ve got a waypoint on her, I’m going to drop a camera on her before the water dirties up this summer to see what she’s all about.

Need a cam and recording equipment?

ottomatica
    Lino Lakes, MN

Quote:

Unless my eyes and Side Imaging technology deceive me….

Doesn’t take a Phd to see that one…nice image…

KirtH
    Lakeville

BK been launching boats in Wissota to I see , I wonder if there are any of those in front of Everts

jhalfen

Some more info about the shipwreck:

First, the cribs that is lies near were installed in 2004. Here’s an image of the cribs on the ice, before they sunk down to their new homes.

jhalfen

Now, the cribs are approx. 8 foot square. In this image, I made a red bar that is the same length as the crib that is nearest the boat…therefore, that bar is ~ 8 feet long. I moved that bar so that is next to the boat, to give us some idea about the length of the boat. Based on that rough measurement, my guess is that we’re looking at a 12-foot boat. It also looks like the boat has an enclosed bow…I’ll have to dig around on the web for images of 12-footers with enclosed bows.

jhalfen

Something like this is what I have in mind. A 12-footer with an enclosed bow.

James, bring that camera gear along with you on your next trip to Skeeter Boat Center

whittsend

Again, VERY COOL

Jason, thanks for posting the “before” photos / dimensions of the cribs that get sunk into Wissota. Very interesting to compare those to the SI image!!

Sweet images, too. Looks to possibly be a few fish swimming around those cribs as well. That mark just to the left of the third crib from the bottom of the image looks like a nice mark, just off bottom. Looks like a number of smaller fish as well.

Mike

Jason Sullivan
    Chippewa Falls, WI

That is super cool!

For sake of discussion (not saying I would)…

Is there any law against me going out and claiming a fixer-upper duck boat?

Sully

whittsend

Salvage law says its fair game, right???

You didn’t see any humanoid looking forms on the bottom near that wreck, did you??

jhalfen

Quote:

Is there any law against me going out and claiming a fixer-upper duck boat?

The F.V. Humminbird??

nic-habeck
    Lake Mills, WI

Nice shots. Planning on hitting the Madison chain on Sunday and spending some time with my si. What a nice suprise with the boat, must have been interesting to see that come across the screen. We never would have believed you if you didn’t have the recording…

yellowdog
    Alma Wi

How bout the Alummacraft FD’s. Did they come in 12 ft?

jhalfen

UPDATE: 2Ks tells me that he’s found two MORE Wissota sunken boats with his new 1197. Let’s see some pics 2Ks!

absolute2ks
    Chippewa Falls, WI

I have the pics of a new boat the barn silo and rest of the farm also have a good bead on another farm and I will post them soon… But I need to know what software for the pic’s you are using again I know you told someone else here on IDO but I cant remember where now

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.