Handgun for the FW

• prieser
    Byron, MN

We were recently and unfortunately the victims of a home invasion. My wife has and probably always will have quite a bit of anxiety about hand guns. I’ve worked with her ALOT, especially in the last few weeks. She has completed her MN Carry Class and will be taking gun the DNR gun safety class with my son this winter. She is “ok” with a .22 semi, but I know that this will not work as a home defense weapon. I need to find her something that will have enough stopping power, but also something that she is very comfortable with. We’ve shot a couple different .308’s, but she does not like the recoil. I’m thinking that, that particular gun is typically light weight, which is why she does not like the kick that it delivers. So, is there a heavier style of .308 or compatible caliber gun that anyone can recommend for us to look at. Would maybe a revolver be a better choice? Any info would be great.

Thanks everyone.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

.380’s Prieser waytogo .

I don’t know anyone that makes a “heavy” .380. Although it’s better then nothing, you might want to take a look at the small framed 9mm.

Heavier frame
    Less recoil
    Penetrates better
    Lower cost ammo

Glock 26 Double Stack (wider grip)
    or better yet the XD-S 9mm by Springfield.

XD-S® 3.3″ Single Stack 9mm

Francis K
    Champlin, MN

Honestly, for home defense I’d be considering a 12ga with 00 buck shot. Looking down the barrel would be very intimidating to an intruder persuading them to leave immediatly. Additionally anyone could cover the whole doorway or window with one shot.

robby
    Quad Cities

.38 spl revolver with at least a 3 inch barrel. Easy on recoil, fun to shoot, and many a person has succombed to its power. Modern self defense ammo is so much better than the old stuff. Plain lead wadcutters would work.

catnip
    south metro

I would suggest trying a standard weight 357 magnum revolver with a 4 to 6 inch barrel and shoot the 38 special ammo. It will greatly reduce the felt recoil and be accurate also. If it wont be a carry gun it doesn’t need to be tiny, just comfortable to shoot and accurate. And if the rounds fail to go bang you can beat the bad guy with it.

Youbetcha
    Anoka County

I would also highly recommend the xds in the 9mm either the 3.3 inch barrel or the 4 inch. The recoil is very minimal and very easy to use. The other thing is if its just going to be a home defense gun and not a carry gun I would not hesitate for a full size 9mm as well. either way I am very sorry to hear about this unfortunate incident.

catmando
    wis

20 gauge pump nothing better IMHOP. First 2 shot then a slug.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Take it from the best….. devil

home defense icon

prieser
    Byron, MN

I’m going to look into some more handguns, does anyone in the Rochester area (shopping wise) offer test shooting? You know, try before you buy?

I am strongly leaning towards the Sig 45 P227 for myself. Shot one of them last week, holy sweetness. But, I also loved the Springfield XD and I liked the ease of the Glock’s. Guess I might have to buy a couple for myself.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

I wouldn’t give up on a .380. The problem with .380s today is that most are super-light models for carry. The fact is lighter guns kick harder.

I would say try:

– A full size 9 MM.

– The advice about shotguns is also very good. Just the sound of a pump-gun racking a shell into the chamber is going to end the “gunfight” with most perps without a shot being fired.

Also, you have to keep in mind in a defense situation, there is the very real possibility of missing with a handgun at a critical moment. Given your wife’s feelings about handguns, it’s unlikely that she’s going to want to stick with a strict practice routine. Another mark in favor of a shotgun.

Grouse

Justin Laack
    Austin,mn

Not sure if coyote creek does try before you buy or not. Otherwise plan a trip to the cities to a bills gun range store and try each gun that you maybe considering. I went to the one in Robbinsdale to test a glock 26 to make sure that’s what I wanted. Best thing I did

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

She is “ok” with a .22 semi, but I know that this will not work as a home defense weapon.

Thanks everyone.

Well,,,, I’ve read PLENTY accounts where a 22 cal did indeed turn away the perps. If THAT is the weapon she is comfortable with, have at it.

Iowaboy1

we were broke into seven years ago,and thank God we were not home when it happened,even still to this day,it is unnerving to my wife to think it could happen when we are home.

so I bought a walther ppk,the german made one in .380,she is comfortable shooting it with its light recoil.
    but,in her mind it will be the second choice if and when it were to happen,her first choice??
    remington 1100,with the first two rounds being double ought buck,the next three are deer slugs.

I think the noise of the blast from all five rounds alone would cause the perps to dirty their diaper if they are still standing.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

I think the noise of the blast from all five rounds alone would cause the perps to dirty their diaper if they are still standing.

Any perp with two braincells to bump together would take one look at the business end of a 12 ga and know they were dead meat unless they run for it, like NOW.

Grouse

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

Where’s the Judge fans here? Shotgun/handgun combined as one? No safety to figure out? Point and pull the trigger 5x. 410 #4, then 000 buck followed by Hornady 45LC FTX 225gr. Short 3″ barrel and rubber grip roll the recoil and make it quite manageable. I know a trio of women that shoot Judges and love ’em. They’re not as wicked to handle as some think. If the handgun is too intimidating, opt over to a Circuit Judge. Super lightweight and light recoil. Double action trigger makes it very quick. Nothing beats a 12 gauge, ask any cop. But 12’s can present recoil issues for women. Look into a Circuit Judge. They’re slick, slick, slick!

prieser
    Byron, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>prieser wrote:</div>
    We were recently and unfortunately the victims of a home invasion. My wife has and probably always will have quite a bit of anxiety about hand guns. I’ve worked with her ALOT, especially in the last few weeks. She has completed her MN Carry Class and will be taking gun the DNR gun safety class with my son this winter. She is “ok” with a .22 semi, but I know that this will not work as a home defense weapon. I need to find her something that will have enough stopping power, but also something that she is very comfortable with. We’ve shot a couple different .308’s, but she does not like the recoil. I’m thinking that, that particular gun is typically light weight, which is why she does not like the kick that it delivers. So, is there a heavier style of .308 or compatible caliber gun that anyone can recommend for us to look at. Would maybe a revolver be a better choice? Any info would be great.

Thanks everyone.

Were you home? I completely understand the anxiety and have nothing against your approach but if home burglary is what you are try to avoid, maybe a home defense/alarm system is what you need. The gun method “may” work but you obviously need to be home…and willing to shot somebody.

We were not home, but my Sister-in-law and her husband were there with my son. The confrontation was short, and the intruder did have a handgun pointed at him. It’s a long story, but no – a trigger was not pulled and for all the right reasons. We have since installed the security system and have signs outside the home saying so. We have no idea why or who, we have nothing of great value in our home, the jack-wagon would have been pretty disappointed. When it comes down to it, locks and security systems only keep your friends out. People who are ballsy enough to break into a home, really don’t give a sh*t what kind of locks, doors, security you have outside your home. I want to make sure that if this POS or anyone else decides to test the waters again, we have done everything that we can do to protect ourselves. Do I really think that I have the “right stuff” to pull the trigger??? I really don’t know, all I can really hope for, is in the moment of truth, the guy decides that he picked the wrong home and exits promptly. It is such an unnerving feeling, that it is almost too hard to explain. The simple fact that anyone would knowingly break into my sanctuary, my domain, my peace of mind has me wanting to fill any gap and void in my home. Handgun, shot gun, riffle, taser, wasp spray, tear gas….you name it, if my wife and I feel safer. We will have it.

I truly and honestly hope we never, ever have to worry about that situation again.

roosterrouster
    Inactive
    The "IGH"...

I know this may be (no, it is!) a stupid question but I am really naive about this stuff. Do I need a permit to carry to protect my home with a firearm? I have always had a shotgun under my bed and shells hidden where only I know how to get to them but do not have a permit to carry…RR

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Do I need a permit to carry to protect my home with a firearm?

Assuming you are talking about Minnesota, then no, a permit to carry is only required if you do want to carry a concealed firearm on your person on property that you do not own (and of course within the bounds of the million other laws that dictate where you cannot take a firearm).

Assuming again that you are legally entitled to own and/or possess a firearm, you do not need any permit to have it on your property for potential use.

Carrying a firearm outdoors on your own property is an extremely gray area, especially in these days of a hypersensitive public. There are local ordinances (city and county) that may or may not allow this, and regardless of if the law allows it, to do so could well invite a call from the first “concerned citizen” who sees you and risk a tense visit from the Police. Do your own homework and before going outside with an un-cased firearm. Unfortunately, in this day and age, the 911 operators have quit asking any intelligent questions of callers reporting “man with a gun” incidents, so being seen outside a building with a gun can start off a very bad scenario.

Grouse

roosterrouster
    Inactive
    The "IGH"...

Thank you…RR

patk
    Nisswa, MN

Like others I have lots of ideas, err opinions on handguns that might work.

However the real key here is what she’s comfortable with. That includes both practice and the potential bad scenario.

If Dirty Harry can be proficient with the .44mag, doesn’t mean I’ll hit the broad side of a barn with it. If she’s comfortable and proficient with a .22, great. More importantly what would she be comfortable and proficient with under stress???? There’s the real deal here.

Same goes for the 12ga with 00 buck, great for a brawny dude. If a shotgun is an option for her, what about a 20ga, maybe even in a youth model?

Female co-worker is going through some of these questions but handgun specific. Sold two of her small .38 class handguns last week and got a full size 1911 chambered in 9mm. That’s after getting a true 1911 in .45 the other month. I don’t recommend the 1911 for this thread but shows that full size The full or nearly full size 9mm is another option.

patk
    Nisswa, MN

On the same purpose but off the equipment side of things.

When the door opens or the glass breaks, do you/her have a plan? Do you practice the plan? This may be more important than the chosen tool to use.

I know someone firsthand who had this happen. Husband was traveling for work, glass broke, she executed the pre-defined plan just as they had practiced. Despite shaking like crazy she still did everything she was supposed to under stress.

Story ends more harmless. Turns out it was her husband’s buddy not a random intruder but the moral has stuck with me since I heard this four years ago.

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

Story ends more harmless. Turns out it was her husband’s buddy not a random intruder but the moral has stuck with me since I heard this four years ago.
    [/quote]

Just a question. Why was a husbands buddy breaking in? Did he think no one’s home going to help himself to ???

patk
    Nisswa, MN

Just a question. Why was a husbands buddy breaking in? Did he think no one’s home going to help himself to ???[/quote]

Sorry, I don’t know that part. Could be something stupid like beer or something he left there on a prior visit day. Wasn’t the important part of the experience so I never found that out.

I’ll pm you a little more to the story, keeping things a little extra generic since this is a public forum.

shady5

I believe simplicity is important; Glocks, revolvers (of course double action…), or any other firearm that doesn’t require much thought to operate is key. There are accounts where even LEO’s (highly trained people) have been in super high stress situations and not even realized the safety was on while they just kept pulling the trigger! Most of us are not going to function well under this degree of duress. I shoot IDPA to try to build muscle memory, but doubt I would be either steady-handed or level-headed. Scary stuff, but having the ability to protect yourself is important, so my hat’s off to you for looking into this.

As far as alarms, we have one to hopefully give me a chance to grab my firearm before the person is too close.

guthook1
    Lake Nebagamon Wisconsin

I would suggest a 20 gauge PUMP shotgun with a shorter barrel. 20 ga. for lighter/smaller/less recoil (depending on load) and best of all it makes a loud noticeable intimidating sound when pumped…sorta saying to the perp – the next sound you hear will be organ music being played at your funeral. The object of the pump is to change a person’s intact mind and helping to keep it that way.

jwellsy

A .22 or .380 will probably just urine them off and result in you getting sued. You need to terminally knock them down to end the threat inside your house.

I suggest a tactical 12 gauge concealed in plain sight in each room.
    https://tacticalwalls.com

David Blais

I don’t even like shooting a .380! Id look at a full frame 9mm. Easy shooting gun

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Those tactical walls things are pretty cool. Had a customer have a false bottom in a kitchen cabinet, one push underneath drops a nice handgun. He asked what options there were for putting in some kind of mechanism concealed in wood floor boards shock

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

.380 will probably just urine them off and result in you getting sued. You need to terminally knock them down to end the threat inside your house.

I see this BS idea foisted out there all the time, the concept that the .380 is the equivalent of a slingshot. Unsurprisingly, I’ve never encountered even one of the people who perpetuate this BS who have ever actually been shot by one.

Have you ever seen what even the “little” 380 does in ballistic gelatin tests? With most quality defense ammo it carves a 2-3 inch wide wound channel anywhere from 12 to 18 inches deep. That is vastly more than enough to incapacitate any foe in a self-defense situation and it is highly likely that any center mass hit would be lethal. And let’s address the BS claim that a leather jacket would stop a .380. This has been tested over and over and it matters not at all to penetration.

Getting hit with a 380 would be the close equivalent to getting hit in the chest with a sledgehammer swung as fast as an adult male would be capeable of swinging it.

The core issue with ANY handgun is always the same. It doesn’t matter if you’re using a 500 or a .380. The only thing that matters is the ability to hit the target with all the stress and condition challenges that would present themselves in a self defense situation.

Grouse

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

Would maybe a revolver be a better choice?

In my opinion, yes. No safety, no slide to chamber a round, easy to load and unload. Visually easy to make safe. Pull trigger – BANG every time. Most of the women I take to the range for the first time shooting lean towards a revolver.

I personally like revolvers being left handed.

38 special or 357 mag.

Good luck!

-J.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 31 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.