Hair jigs for walleye?

• acarroline

I don’t have much experience or success using hair jigs for walleye. Looking at some Northland deep vee bucktail jigs and vmc MTJ moontail jigs. I’ve fancy myself a pretty experienced jig fisherman and have learned some things over the years, but no experience with hair jigs. Anyone have success or specifics on using these, or are they more lures made to catch fisherman not fish (they always get me…might need it; haha)?

Charlie W
    TRF / Pool 3 / Grand Rapids, MN / SJU

A good compact hair jig on the Mississippi in the spring has done me wonders when the water is cold. Outfished a standard leadhead jig or jig and plastic many times.

On lakes, have not had the same luck. Some, but I’ll take a jig minnow of plastic over hair on a lake. Just me though. I know they work for some!!

mojogunter

I had some success on Green Bay using hair jigs last month. Cold water and you had to fish them very slow. The stinger hook ended up hooking the fish I would guess 50% of the time so you may want to add them. I haven’t used them very much, but it seems they work best in cold water.

I don’t have much experience or success using hair jigs for walleye. Looking at some Northland deep vee bucktail jigs and vmc MTJ moontail jigs. I’ve fancy myself a pretty experienced jig fisherman and have learned some things over the years, but no experience with hair jigs. Anyone have success or specifics on using these, or are they more lures made to catch fisherman not fish (they always get me…might need it; haha)?

Jason

Do you guys typically bait these with a minnow hooked through the mouth or do you just fish them plain?

mojogunter

On pool 4 I would use a minnow or plastic depending how cold the water is. On Green Bay just the hair jig.

Do you guys typically bait these with a minnow hooked through the mouth or do you just fish them plain?

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

I tie the vast majority of my own. However two places I get jigs through when in a pinch. Hutches’ or Trumor’s. Trumor’s are on the thinner side and hutches are the max I would use for hair. I don’t like bulky hair jigs. Too often when guys are making them longer, they have a tendency to add bulk- don’t do that.

I never tip with meat. Sometimes a thin plastic trailer.

River – less is more. Less action, less hops, just let the current do all the work for you

Lakes, fish fast and large sweeps. Don’t be subtle in any way. Rip the crap out of them

Aboxy17

I like the Deep V jigs a lot they are my go too. The VMC catches just as many fish but the Northland paint seems to hold up much better.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.