It’s done!

• todders
    Shoreview, MN

Some of you who know me, have heard, seen, experienced or listened to the adversity that has gone into my family farm’s food plot saga this season know it has not been easy! No matter which category you land in, and the rest of you for reading this, thank you . The destination plots are growing, healthy and providing huge amounts of forage for our beloved whitetails! As of this evening the harvest plots are officially planted and waiting for a little bit of rain

! There are just not enough hours in the day (especially days like today) to get it all done . I will add pictures to this post and update my “finally feel like a farmer” post after this coming weekend when I have time to snap some photos! The weather feels like fall is just around the corner ! Good luck to everyone this season, shoot straight

bob_bergeson
    cannon falls

Very cool Todd I have seen your desire and dedication all spring and summer. No one deserves a good hunt on your property more than you do I’m glad that the 3rd tractor worked out for you

lick

Glad it worked out for you Todd ! Your hard work and dedication will be rewarded

flatlandfowler
    SC/SW MN

Nice work man! From your posts and pictures it looks like you have put alot of work in this year. Congrats on finally tying up the end of the food plot season and hope your fall plots turn out great With the amount of plots you put in this year I can almost guarantee you will be seeing many more great bucks in the up coming years

qdm4life
    Albertville, MN

Now we wait my freind!! As stated you deserve to smoke a giant up there now more so than ever. Its not easy to do what you have done especialy with the time constrants of work and life coupled with liveing well over an hour from the farm It wont be long now and the fun will begin but more so you have set your herd up for a good winter. Now if we could kill those beavers and have the wovles… leave It would be a perfect world for the bucks on the Hanson Farm, at least from January 1st to September 15th

DANPEARSON
    Central WI

Good luck this fall…can’t wait to see some pictures of your plots and hopefully a giant on the ground this fall.

Brad Juaire
    Maple Grove, MN

Big congrats Todd! You took a major step this year that will pay big dividends for years to come. You set the bar high and I compliment you for your dedication and commitment (not only to your deer herd but to yourself as well). As you already know, the first year is the hardest and your crops will only get better and better the more you work them. Let’s plan a weekend to get together!

todders
    Shoreview, MN

Thanks guys ! Pics will come asap this weekend when I can find a computer to transfer them on. Ben, I have wrote those wolves several formal letters asking them to vacate the property but they just don’t care . After one last weekend of work it is time to get back in a boat on the pond and let the woods mellow out a bit, which is tougher for me to do than any amount of work but necesary for some good daylight action

todders
    Shoreview, MN

I have explained parts of my sob story to most of you so for this update, I will concentrate on the photos and the positives! All of the harvest plots were done in brassicas this season in order to simplify the process as much as possible throughout the first “real” season of food plots on my family’s farm. I am also a big fan of brassica blends for harvest plots because of how long they last throught the season but am planning on a calculated crop rotation on all of the fall plots in the future.
    Picture 1. We call it the canvas stand/plot and this area is half surrounded by water and the other half is very thick bedding areas that transition up to some mature oak forest.
    Picture 2. This is a plot on an old field that we turned into a destination corn/bean plot this year but left a small section to plant something else in order to have the whole buffet in one area.
    Picture 3. This is in an area that was clear cut about 15 years ago and has slowly and steadily grown. It holds large amounts of deer that were nearly impossible to hunt. We cut some roads through the center of it, built a stand and planted it in hopes of slipping into their bedroom later during the gun season.
    Picture 4. We call this plot the arrowhead simply because of the shape it took and it held at least 10 different 2.5-3.5 year old bucks last year that visited frequently. I am really hoping some of those boys still live in the area and have put on some inches this season!
    Picture 5. This plot is on a large ridge that runs through our land and is the most mature section of forest we have. It is pretty open during the fall, absolutely beautiful and has some of the thickest bedding cover I have seen running parralel to it along the lower half on both sides.
    Picture 6. This is inside one of our destination plots we planted this spring with corn that was just too wet early on. The empty portion has been fertilized, sprayed with round up and seeded with brassicas! It is going to be an awesome set-up when the corn starts to dry and the turnips are bright green!

I hope everyone that has planted anything this season gets the right amount of sunshine and rain throughout the rest of summer, it has been a tough season for everyone but I know many people on here have fought through the weather and came out on top. IDO is the best tool I have had throughout this entire season and I want to thank all of you, keep it up!

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Looks like you have a slice of heaven Todd!

qdm4life
    Albertville, MN

Quote:

Looks like you have a slice of heaven Todd!

Morelike 7 slices all connecting!!

Brad Juaire
    Maple Grove, MN

Looks like a lot of thought, planning and hard work went into this endeavor. Now it’s time to start thinking about entering/exiting strategies, stand placements and which plots to hunt in accordance with the direction of the wind. It never ends…

flatlandfowler
    SC/SW MN

Looks great Todders! Come fall there won’t be one day you regret putting in all of these plots this year.

I have a ground blind set up that is nearly identical to your picture 6. It is in your face action and it is awesome! Im willing to bet that that may very well be your favorite spot by the end of the season

Enjoy watching the plots finish up and good luck while utilizing them this fall!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.