Northern MN Food Plot Started

• robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

Last Friday I went up to our property just north Of McGregor, MN and got a start on our food plots by getting the brush knocked down and sprayed with Round up and 2-4D. Took a few photos along the way. Plan on putting a mixture of Clover, Chicory, Alfalfa, Rape, & Turnips on 3 different areas. Some will be perennial plots and some will be annuals. Plan on having both at each location (3) until now I was only planting Fall/Harvest Plots!.

I will be back up this Saturday to finish the job after making a trip down to the Honey Hole to throw in the plots, replenish minerals, hang stands and cameras down there on Friday.

It is almost GAME TIME! .

qdm4life
    Albertville, MN

That’s a nice mineral site!! A mix of perannuals will save you some free time next year just as the little one will be taking off got any cameras up?

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

I just put one camera over that mineral lick site last Friday. I have one other camera out besides that. This weekend I will be in Madelia and McGregor to put out a few more. We just got them out in ND. I’ll have to talk to the father in Law to see about SD.

DANPEARSON
    Central WI

Looks good Rob! You have quite the setup!

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

Thanks Drelan.

I have been building my food plot equipment over the years. Currently I have a Tractor, harrow drag, 3 pt Brush Mower, 3 Pt back blade, Pull Disc, Boom sprayer that I can put on the 4 wheeler or on the 3 point tractor system and a lil Cultivator. Now I just need a new trailer to fit it all on!

Next year I’m looking to upgrade to a 3 pt double gang disc and that landscape rake. At that point I think I’m good for quite awhile. Most of my plots are relatively small I do here in MN. The biggest is 2 acres and my equipment fits me perfect. I’ll try to get some more pics from my brother from this past week.

DANPEARSON
    Central WI

Do you rent the trailer or is that yours too? Where do you store all your equipment? It’s nice to have connections. A friend of mine who lives just down the road from my buddies was gracious enough to lend out his tractor to us on Sunday. He’s a big bow hunter too and knows the importance of food plots, so he was more than willing to let us borrow it for the afternoon. I can tell you it would have taken me all weekend to do the plot if I had to rent the equipment and try to disc the area up using my 4 wheeler.

lick

Quote:

Do you rent the trailer or is that yours too? Where do you store all your equipment? It’s nice to have connections. A friend of mine who lives just down the road from my buddies was gracious enough to lend out his tractor to us on Sunday. He’s a big bow hunter too and knows the importance of food plots, so he was more than willing to let us borrow it for the afternoon. I can tell you it would have taken me all weekend to do the plot if I had to rent the equipment and try to disc the area up using my 4 wheeler.

I remember someone offering to bring a tractor Pretty cheap too

Plots look good Rob Hope you get time to hunt

DANPEARSON
    Central WI

Quote:

I remember someone offering to bring a tractor Pretty cheap too

I appreciated the offer Pat! Believe it or not, you were my first choice. I was planning on calling you earlier this month, but after talking to a friend, he told me he had a tractor I could borrow. Doing it with the 4 wheeler would have been my last option if I didn’t have friends willing to help me out.

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

Since I got that tractor, it has cut my time down planting my plots by over 50%. We got done on Friday (11 am – 8pm) what used to take us a good 24 hours of hard non stop work. Once I’m all set up, I’m guessing it will take us 25% of the time it used to! That means more time for more plots or more time for fishing!

Working in Construction a big heavy duty trailer has never been an issue but this one we did borrow from my brothers friend. We usually store a few things at the cabin, my garage, and up on the Hunting Property (15 miles from cabin). Good friends and connections are a must.

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

Quote:

Hope you get time to hunt

The funny or not so funny thing is, I will probably only hunt over these Up North plots maybe 2 or 3 times all year.

I mainly do them for my Dad, brothers and niece that hunt all 3 gun weekends up there and also bow hunt a lil bit up there. I might sit once during bow and once or twice during gun season.

bob_bergeson
    cannon falls

Nice plots Rob! Nice work

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.