post your plot pictures here

• bob_bergeson
    cannon falls

After seeing some very nice pictures of a chicory plot posted on the site I thought it would be good to have a place to show off your plots or post pics of plots that may need some help with weed identification etc. I am going to start with a corn plot and will update pics of this and other plots as they grow. I hope you will all share pictures of your plots big or small.

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

Great Idea!

The only problem is I did not get any Sping Plots in this year, except ND. I will be putting some plots in July/August on 3 different properties !

lick

Quote:

Great Idea!

The only problem is I did not get any Sping Plots in this year I will be putting some plots in July/August on 3 different properties !

X 2 Kill plots go in last week of July

Hope they turn out like this biologic maximum plot from last fall

bob_bergeson
    cannon falls

Thats a great looking plot! When did you plant it? I like that they are using it so early in the season. I enjoy putting in my destination/late winter plots but I get the most excited about my late summer kill plots.

lick

Bob I planted that on July 25

I have another plot I planted same tinme and was ate to the dirt by opening weekend I need to figure out how to keep them out long enough to let it grow But I guess thats a good problem to have

bob_bergeson
    cannon falls

What is your favorite fall kill plot? Have you ever seen a deer jump a wooden snow fence? It will keep 90% of the deer out of the plot. also probably the best way to funnel deer ever made.

lick

I’ve had my best luck with biologic maximum and bullseye deer turnips Dad has a garden and the deer jump a 5 strand 6 ft high fence to get in there

To me thou it’s not so much what you plant but where you plant it Small secluded plots will bring the big boys out during shooting hours

qdm4life
    Albertville, MN

After witnessing the massacre and reading more and more info about the topic, I have this season planted 1/2 of my brassicas early in the spring, hopeing that they mature by late summer giving those deer a place to come after the beans begin to yellow, its a general misconception that the brassicas need a frost before the deer will eat them, if allowed to reach maturity the starchs will begin converting to sugars long before any frost come yet right on time for bow opener

qdm4life
    Albertville, MN

I also have a few test plots going with a forage soybeans, peas and lab lab, agian hoping that when the 80 acre beans feild goes yellow my stategicly placed forage bean plots will still be green, drawing the deer right to me feet

bob_bergeson
    cannon falls

Please keep us posted as to how your forage soybeans handle the heavy browse and also how they compare in yeild to a conventional soybean. I have wanted to plant the forage soybeans for years but have never found a dealer close enough so that i could pick them up.

qdm4life
    Albertville, MN

If the numbers they are talking are correct, I will be ordering my rr Eagle forage soybeans next year, cant wait, well at 75$ abag I can wait a little while.

bob_bergeson
    cannon falls

Quote:

If the numbers they are talking are correct, I will be ordering my rr Eagle forage soybeans next year, cant wait, well at 75$ abag I can wait a little while.

My son works in iowa as a lineman so maybe a few of us can place an order from a dealer in Iowa and he can pick them up and save the shipping. I think that would save us about 25.00 a bag.

qdm4life
    Albertville, MN

Yep thats what Im hearing on average in my hunt for the Eagle beans, 25 to 30 on average, did find a rumor of some in Ottertail county but by the time I tracked them down they were all sold, 92 bucks a bag, but compare that to me paying 33 $ for “the Buck on bag brand” for 15 #s of seed that is a mix so it is pretty much un treatable with herbicide and Eagle beans sound better every day!!

qdm4life
    Albertville, MN

Some plots on a farm near Randall, MN. First pics are of a rape trail seeded a month ago.I spot sprayed the thistle today as well as the burrs. Last 2 are of a clover trail that may sem to be all weeds but it is really tall white clover with mixed weeds, it was fertilized with 19-19-19 3 weeks ago.

qdm4life
    Albertville, MN

These 4 pics are of a plot seeded with shot plot a month ago that buts up to a 1 year old stand of trophy clover that is doing very well at about 14 inchs high almost every top is browsed, the rape also butts up to a small forage bean/pea/lab lab mix that is not doing well but the bonus of that is my to top weeds in that plot are chicory and rape

qdm4life
    Albertville, MN

Chech out this chicory leaf, one of a few isolated plants but it was huge! It did not taste very good though

Brad Juaire
    Maple Grove, MN

Somebody pass me the salad dressing! Great looking food plots qdm4life!

bob_bergeson
    cannon falls

Nice job! I like that you don’t rely on just one type of food source.

bob_bergeson
    cannon falls

Lets see some updated pics. of your plots! The 1st pic is taken from the same field as the original post, the corn is about thigh high and looking good.
    The 2nd pic is my version of Bio-max. I prepare my seed bed Then I put down fertilizer and 10 lbs per acre of rr soybeans with a fertilizer spreader and disc them in(about 2-4″ deep”) then follow up with the corn planter with rr corn.
    When you dont have a planter you can broadcast both the soybeans and corn and disc them in with your fertilizer. one of the biggest mistakes i have made is seeding to heavy! When mixing the two together I wouldn’t go any heavier than 12-15 lbs of soybeans and 10 Lbs of corn per acre.

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

Nice Update pics!

Thanks for the tip on the Amount per acre. If you are just planting one or the other by broadcasting would you plant 25# / acre????

lick

You do some great work Bob

I may have to start early this year your driving me crazy

bob_bergeson
    cannon falls

Quote:

Nice Update pics!

Thanks for the tip on the Amount per acre. If you are just planting one or the other by broadcasting would you plant 25# / acre????

I would go 25# on the soybeans but only About 15# if it were corn only.

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

Thank You!

lick

3 year old clover plot. I keep thinking I need to rip it up and plant something else but it looks too good

bob_bergeson
    cannon falls

I think you are right, I would keep it. It looks good and it’s something I don’t talk about much but clover is a great high protien food source. They really start to use these plots in august. One of the problems we have is that we don’t keep enough perenials on our farms and there are times of the year when we have all of our plots worked and prepped for our fall and winter plots and there is very little high protien food available for the deer.

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

Man I agree Gut, that plots looks awesome and I would also keep it!

What brand of Clover

lick

Quote:

Man I agree Gut, that plots looks awesome and I would also keep it!

What brand of Clover

I wish I could remember

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

lick

I want to say it was Tecomate monster mix and the clover came back up the next few years. I wish it got more traffic. I have a cam hung there now. My gun buck pics were taken in this plot last turkey day as he was shot near by

mpearson
    Chippewa Falls, WI

Quote:

I want to say it was Tecomate monster mix and the clover came back up the next few years. I wish it got more traffic. I have a cam hung there now. My gun buck pics were taken in this plot last turkey day as he was shot near by

How many acres is that food plot Pat?

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 33 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.