Has anybody tried these?

• robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

Never heard of it. Sounds interesting and I like that it is RU Ready. I could not find pricing or how to purchase?

EDIT: Closest dealer:

Midwest Whitetail Mngt. Serv.

Eau Claire, WI

715-495-2988

bob_bergeson
    cannon falls

Their claim to fame is that unlike normal soybeans these will withstand heavy grazing pressure and keep growing, they also claim to produce about double the forage per year and stay green untill freeze up. It would be nice to have green soybean leaves in late oct.! I have talked with a couple of people that have grown them and they really like them. the only negatives that i have heard is that they don’t yield as many bushels of actual beans as a normal farm variety soybean.

flatlandfowler
    SC/SW MN

Guess Im not the only one watching “The Management Advantage.”

Im hoping to do alot more research on them this weekend. They dont sound like they would be your best bet to be the variety you plant for your late season carbohydrate plot. But, like bobss said, they dont die after they reach full maturity like field beans have been selectively bread to do.

shednut
    22 feet up

I have never planted them so I can’t speak from experience, but my feeling is that we are too far north to really benefit from these long season beans. In my opinion you can get more bang for you’re buck with a standard RR soy, in terms of pod production and you can still have green and growing beans during hunting season by pushing you’re planting date back.
    If I had lots of tillable ground to work with I’d give them a try but with limited acreage to plant I’ll stick with standard soys, that get overseeded with either brassicas or rye when the bean’s start to turn.

whitetails4ever
    Rochester, MN

I planted some forage soybeans and regular soybeans last year, both planted in the middle of May, and the forage soy were still green well into October. This was down on my northern Missouri farm. The variety I planted wasn’t RU ready which would’ve been nice. I loved the results we got.

qdm4life
    Albertville, MN

As shed nut stated if you want green beans push your plant date back, this is what I’ve done in the past when the famer plants the whole farm in bean, we wait about 3 weeks then seed our beans, they dont even look at my beans all summer, the day his start to yellow they show up in my beans, usually right around september 15th

flatlandfowler
    SC/SW MN

Ended up getting a bag for our plots this year. If I remember right it was about 90 bucks for a 50lber. Put them in three weeks or so ago and are looking great. They were out of the ground in a week, aweek with no rain. Ill try and get some pictures up as the summer progresses and into fall. Excited to see how they turn out.

bob_bergeson
    cannon falls

Quote:

Ended up getting a bag for our plots this year. If I remember right it was about 90 bucks for a 50lber. Put them in three weeks or so ago and are looking great. They were out of the ground in a week, aweek with no rain. Ill try and get some pictures up as the summer progresses and into fall. Excited to see how they turn out.

Thanks for the update. Please keep us all posted as they grow. Thanks, (Was this the managers blend?)

flatlandfowler
    SC/SW MN

It was my brother who had gotten hot about these. I just talked to him after reading your prices on another post bobss. To his recollection we got the game keeper rr variety for about 90 a bag. It was going to be like 40 bucks to ship from Arkansas so he ordered them from a closer dealer. This was the only species we couldnt get from our regular seed company so I dont have it on my list here specifically.

flatlandfowler
    SC/SW MN

Update on the Eagle Seed Beans…..

The first pic is about 1 1/2 weeks ago, the silver is the top of a 4 foot level

Second and Third pics are from Sunday. No doubt that they are taller than the level now. The stand behind the tractor (JD 950) is almost to the top of the hood.

Waiting to see how well they develop beans. So far they are ALOT of tonnage sporting big broad leaves.

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Holy tonnage!!!

lick

Whoa

shednut
    22 feet up

That’s not a bean plot, that’s a bedding area! Looks real good

bob_bergeson
    cannon falls

Quote:

Update on the Eagle Seed Beans…..

The first pic is about 1 1/2 weeks ago, the silver is the top of a 4 foot level

Second and Third pics are from Sunday. No doubt that they are taller than the level now. The stand behind the tractor (JD 950) is almost to the top of the hood.

Waiting to see how well they develop beans. So far they are ALOT of tonnage sporting big broad leaves.

They look great! Please keep us updated on soybean production. I want to try these but am concerned about soybean yield.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.