Gulp or PowerBait?

• Jimmy Jones

For crappies, which do you prefer?

Myself I carry at least a couple packs/colors of power baits and, of course, lots of the baits I make are bathing in Gulp Minnow formula. For the most part I find the Gulp soaked baits plenty adequate. However, there are times when plain, un-scented, or Gulp soaked baits come up short for some reason and I’ll dig out the PowerBaits and hang one on a jig and, again for the most part, this tactic will gather some fish.

For me, being fair here, most of my fishing is done with the Gulp enhancement. In a couple instances PowerBaits have saved the day, just not on a regular basis. They both work and if I had to make any sort of assessment it would be that when either works, it works well. When either one doesn’t seem to be working, its apparent.

Several years back, Mepps/Mr.Twister made an “Exude” bait, similar in texture to PowerBait. It was designed to disintegrate over time if it came off in the water and came “dry” packaged, much like the PowerBait. In the couple of crappie-sized baits offered in the Exude product it fished about like PowerBait….when it worked, it worked well. I haven’t seen any Exude products in years but then I haven’t looked for any for years so I may just be overlooking it. I still have some un-opened packs of the Exude 1″ shads left over from the days when I was on the Mepps/Mr.Twister field staff and threaten to open a pack and give it a try again but somehow seem to brush the idea aside as a 1″ bait is about an inch under my size preferences. Maybe if I’m bored some day.

In today’s world of fishing, scenting options are all over the place. I gravitate right to the Gulp and PowerBait aisles when I am on the hunt and often wonder what other persons choose to use. That said, what do you guys prefer for bait scents and are what you choose a scented-in-the-bag baits or do you use a product to treat a bait just before casting?

If you add a scent just prior to casting, here’s a little trick that will help hold more scent for a bit longer timeframe: Before tying on a jig or hook, put a sting bobber stop on the line a foot ahead of the tag end. Snug it up and trim the strings close to the knot, then tie on the hook/jig and slide the knot right down tight to the eye of whatever. When you spray or dip your scent the string of the knot will suck up some of the product and allow it to disperse over a longer period of time. The knot, snugged down to the eye of the hook will not get in the way of anything and doesn’t seem to bother the fish a bit.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

never used powerbait…always had gulp. seems to work just fine. i usually have with real meat bait just in case.

i NEVER believed in plastics until a certain someone crazy doah whistling kept giving me so much crap about it!!! now i’m 75% believer!!!!! peace rotflol

i’ll be honest i’m not much for targeting crappies….but the good fish, like sunfish dont seem to mind plastics….most of the time!!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.