Grand Rapids Quick Report

• mike_leclaire
    Grand Rapids, MN

Finally had the chance to get out this weekend, pretty sad that I can count the number of times I have been out fishing/spearing this ice season on my hands.

Spearing was good saw quite a few fish and finally after seeing quite a few big fish dart through my hole I had a nice 12 to 15 lb pike linger on the outside staring at my decoy and had one angled shot; however I missed just over his back. What I learned through this experience is angled shots are tricky and I need to remember to aim below the fish instead of at the fish as the spear always darts through the water higher than your aiming point; and just like a big buck I still get excited when a large pike comes through my hole. It’s what keeps me going back out.

I was able to do a little panfishing this weekend with a buddy, we were on a search and destroy mission to explore new spots for gills and crappies. First spot was a bust and never marked or saw a fish on the camera. Second spot was slightly better and we were able with the use of the camera to locate and get on the fish. The bite wasn’t real hot n heavy but we were able to pull one 14″ crappie and some nice gills the biggest being 11″ out of our holes.

We did however make the dumbest rookie mistake; in the excitement of locating fish in a new area and making swiss cheese out of the lake we forgot to grab the pail from the truck; and began piling the fish in one spot. Since we were the only two fisherman within a half mile of anybody of course someone had to drive by park their truck about 100 yards away and literally run over to us. Now I wouldn’t have been mad until he ran direclty over to our fish kicked the pile to spread them out to take a look and then has the nerve to ask us if we are doing any good without ever looking at our faces. Now I can get pissed every now and again but I stayed focused on fishing; however my buddy who is much larger than I am just about came unglued. Lets just say at one point I dropped my rod and stood up because I thought he was going to pummel this guy as he continued spread our fish out to get a better look at what we had.

Other lakes in the area have been doing pretty well for panfish as well, Little and Big Splithand have been producing some nice crappies and a few sunfish. The walleyes had been biting on Pokegama pretty steady up until the cold front hit and has now slowed significantly. Other than that haven’t heard much as the new group of hockey parents I hang out with this time of year conincidently don’t have much time to fish either.

Hopefully I can get out again soon as the days are getting longer and my determination to get out on the ice exceeds my willingness to go to hockey games and tournaments. I am just about burned out on hockey for the year; thankfully there is only a few more weeks left.

woody_036
    Spooner, Wi

Quote:

We did however make the dumbest rookie mistake; in the excitement of locating fish in a new area and making swiss cheese out of the lake we forgot to grab the pail from the truck; and began piling the fish in one spot. Since we were the only two fisherman within a half mile of anybody of course someone had to drive by park their truck about 100 yards away and literally run over to us. Now I wouldn’t have been mad until he ran direclty over to our fish kicked the pile to spread them out to take a look and then has the nerve to ask us if we are doing any good without ever looking at our faces. Now I can get pissed every now and again but I stayed focused on fishing; however my buddy who is much larger than I am just about came unglued. Lets just say at one point I dropped my rod and stood up because I thought he was going to pummel this guy as he continued spread our fish out to get a better look at what we had.

I probably would have had a few choice words for this guy too! Just reading this made me disgusted. There is stuff like this that happens every year where you wonder why so many people are losing respect for others.

Thanks for the report. Ill be up at Winnie in less than a month now.

mike_leclaire
    Grand Rapids, MN

Yep like I said I kept my cool by focusing on fishing and hole hopping hoping the guy would just go away but he just stood there for about 5 mintues trying to talk to us. I agree some people just have no respect, if he would have pulled up and asked how we were doing and asked if we minded fishing near us or with us I could have cared less.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Who the heck does that??? What was it like to be near the center of the universe?

mike_leclaire
    Grand Rapids, MN

Quote:

Who the heck does that??? What was it like to be near the center of the universe?

I really can’t answer that with out refraining from using explicatives; but I can tell you that if it happens again I am going to make an @$$ out the person. I may just hand him my rod and see if they want to fish out of my hole and see if they have a pail I could fill it with fish for them or tell them what they owe me for guiding fees.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

I know I’d be ticked. I am a bit of an introvert when I fish. I hate people asking how the fishing is or if I am catching any.

So if this happened to me I’d be pissed. I am surprised he didn’t start rummaging through your tacklebox while asking what you use or reach into your pockets and ask what bait you are using.

mike_leclaire
    Grand Rapids, MN

Quote:

I know I’d be ticked. I am a bit of an introvert when I fish. I hate people asking how the fishing is or if I am catching any.

So if this happened to me I’d be pissed. I am surprised he didn’t start rummaging through your tacklebox while asking what you use or reach into your pockets and ask what bait you are using.

To be honest so am I; I mean really who does that…I would never in all my life walk up to a total stranger and start sorting through their fish.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

On a side note, I am bummed that my nephew who is a gun/ammo distributor has been to busy to get up there to fish. Hopefully we’ll get up there this spring.

mike_leclaire
    Grand Rapids, MN

Ya there is some great fishing in the spring, we get some nice slab crappies and sunfish.

Arnie Nichols

Here are a couple of pictures of the limit of perch caught on February 2. I have to give credit to my brother-in-law (Tom) as he caught 17 of the 20 perch. We were fishing about 20′ apart. We have been fishing this area since first safe ice. Tom has a spear house but does not spear. It is just fun to watch the action. Lots of small northerns in the mix as well. We were fishing on a connecting lake to Pokegama.
    We are going to Splithand to pre-fish for this weekend. Taking the Ice Castles there with the wives. Party time on the ice with fish frys and cold beverages. Supposed to be near 30 degrees so it will be a blast.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.