Gas Grill, Looking for one?

• Chuck Melcher
    SE Wisconsin, Racine County

I have a 18 year old Ducane grill… and it is still great, but like many things made here of quality, they are out of business.

I’m looking for a good quality, two burner for a wedding gift for my brother. Don’t need a lot of frills, but want a well built, long lasting one. Anyone recently go through the shopping process? Suggest a brand, or one to stay away from?

Snake ii’s

Stay away from gas grills. Go for charcoal. You can taste the difference!

big_g
    Isle, MN

Skip charcoal, go for hardwood if you really want to “taste” the difference. waytogo whistling

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

Skip charcoal, go for hardwood if you really want to “taste” the difference. waytogo whistling

Go electric for pure meat taste. No added flavors whatsoever! devil devil

Chuck Melcher

Back on topic… it is Propane (tank) Gas….. charcoal isn’t an option. Never considered electric, but I’ll take a peak.

big_g
    Isle, MN

We bought an electric grill (at the wife’s insistence) about 8 months ago… I have yet to fire it up… doah

Actually it was over a year ago… it came recommended by my sister in law…

Attachments:
    1. grill.jpg

glenn57
    cold spring mn

go weber or go home!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

patk
    Nisswa, MN

Weber Spirit 3 burner, not the 2 burner. It’s the best bang for the buck that is quality. At least four of us at work have it, dad has one, and my brother has the two burner.

durability is good, grates are rusting and the heat deflectors too. Assuming this is due to food dripping on the surfaces.

Brother’s two burner does not get hot enough to do steaks. Has less flexibility for direct/indirect and having different heat zones. All of us with the three burner are happy.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Weber is where it’s at for gas grills. I have some buddies that got Pellet grills that absolutely love them, there are a ton of options there but Traeger seems to be the market leader. IMO electric defeats the purpose of grilling.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

For gas or charcoal, Weber is really the best. Their enamel blows away the competition. You can expect a Weber to last a decade or two longer than any other brand.

They also tend to perform the best as well.

404 ERROR
    MN

Weber is where it’s at! If you just like your brother, get a Spirit. If you really love your brother, you need to get him a Genesis! If your brother pulled you from a burning building, don’t settle for anything less that a Summit. rotflol

They are awesome grills and will last forever. Mine is newer, but my brothers and I bought my parents a Genesis back in 2005 as a gift and it still works like new and they use it weekly. IMO, nothing compares to Weber gas grills. I’ve had a few different brands over the years and the rusting of the heat deflectors and hot spots frustrated me until I finally bit the bullet. The Summit series uses infrared burners, which is something I dream of in a grill.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

What others have said. Our Weber 3 burner is so old I cant remember. The ignitor just went out last week after all this time.
    We did try to save a buck 11 years ago and buy a 2 burner for the cabin. It still looks like new and it still struggles to get hot enough. I have been threatening to replace it for years but it “just” gets the job done so we keep it.

Snake ii’s

Skip charcoal, go for hardwood if you really want to “taste” the difference.

Agreed, I prefer hardwood too. I start my grilling with some charcoal briquettes and add hardwood a few minutes before the meat hits the grill.

Beats the hell out of burnt petroleum taste. toast

shockers
    Rochester

I mainly use charcoal (Weber), but have a used Weber I bought on Craigslist a couple of years ago for $100 that works awesome every time. My neighbor has a Weber that’s at least 20 years old, on his deck, that has been bullet proof and he swears by it.

So….can’t go wrong with Weber.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

If you really like your brother, go with a Weber with a Rotisserie attachment.

philtickelson
    Inactive
    Mahtomedi, MN

Weber is definitely a good choice for gas. I have a weber genesis that’s been going strong for about 6 years and it performs like new.

A lot of pepole talk about the grill getting hot enough, in my experience it’s the opposite that makes this grill so nice. I can turn one burner on low and hold the temp at ~225-250, which is low enough to smoke meat(although I have a smoker now). Or I can crank it on high and get the grill HOT. In my experience though, cheap grills have one temperature, too hot. Which makes it tough to reliably cook thick cuts of pork/chicken.

Very possible to cook indirect nicely on my genesis.

Also, everyone who grills a lot should own a Thermapen.
    http://www.thermoworks.com/Thermapen-Mk4

Truly an instant read thermometer, it’s probably the one item in our kitchen we would replace immediately if it were to break. No more guessing. Pull that chicken off the grill as soon as it hits ~160 and get juicy/tender chicken and pork every time.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Von Hansens is selling a nice little digital temp unit for around $35. I bought one and it works good.

Chuck Melcher

Weber is where it’s at! If you just like your brother, get a Spirit. If you really love your brother, you need to get him a Genesis! If your brother pulled you from a burning building, don’t settle for anything less that a Summit.

Crap, now I have to factor that in…. he has been a pain in the rear for many years )

Great advice all… I’ll go the three burner option for sure. Was thinking it was too much size and such, but didn’t see the other potential.

My old Ducane has rock solid stainless parts inside including the cooking surface. These newer Webers look to have coated surface. Do you still use a wire brush? I’m getting all the little extras so he is set to go.

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

I have a Weber natural gas grill mounted on my deck. It is 20 years old. Igniter still works. Have replaced the cooking grates and what they call flavorizer bars with stainless. Wood handles look like crap but it works perfect. Weber when I need another one.

Jeremy
    Richland County, WI

I say Holland grill even though it is a single burner and only has one temp setting. I have been using it for 15 years, before that I had a Weber 3 burner, was supposed to be all stainless, grates, burners, flavorizer bars but the burners would need cleaned about once a year.

I even cook bacon on the Holland and have never had a flare up from dripping grease

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Get the cast iron grates if you can. You can use a wire brush on those. They make some awesome grill marks. As mentioned before, the heat deflectors can be purchased in stainless if needed. They will corrode over time due to the nature of their job. That will happen with any brand.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Weber grill marks on our burgers tonight.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_4278.jpg

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

nice 1/4 turns Gil!

I have a gas weber and just picked up a flat top. The flat top is friggin awesome.
    Bacon and pancakes in the morning, grilled cheese in the afternoon on the flat top, steaks on the weber late night.

junior

Traeger! Wood smoked taste.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

I won’t waste my time saying what everybody else already said.

tim hurley

Weber gas and charcoal.
    Gas: Mon.-thurs.
    Charcoal: Fri-Sun.

Burgers and steak-gotta do charcoal—-Dogs, chicken, sausage, gas is fine.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 57 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.