Garmin Panoptix Battery Disconnect?

• AK Guy

I just bought a new Garmin Panoptix ice bundle from Reeds. Question for owners, do I need to disconnect the battery in between use? I’d hate to show up on the ice and have a drained battery.

Netguy
    Minnetonka

I do after it is recharged. It will slowly drain the battery if left connected.

JoeMX1825
    MN

This has been dicussed in the Garmin Livescope community forever, there’s multiple Garmin Technical/Customer Service examples that say you do NOT have to disconnect the battery, but you would think it goes against logic…
    I personally don’t disconnect it, but I also top off my battery before I leave to fish…Summit/Arclab/Humminbird and other shuttles do include a master power on/off switch…You can also simply diconnect the negative lead from the battery, I just worry over time is gets more and more loose…

B-man

Use your multimeter and test to see if it’s drawing any power.

Super easy to check.

Randall Schultz

I have an LED kill switch in line……. So I don’t accidentally leave it on while in use…… but usually leave the battery unplugged after charging.

JoeMX1825
    MN

I have an LED kill switch in line……. So I don’t accidentally leave it on while in use…… but usually leave the battery unplugged after charging.

what shuttle & bag do you use?

I’m looking for a clean install for the Garmin shuttle/bag

Henpecked

For sake of discussion, I’m running an older 93sv plus with Livescope on a Summit shuttle and 18 ah Amped battery. If I do not unplug or turn the switch off the battery will drain to near zero in about a week. Turn the switch off or unplug and it will keep charged for months. Also have all the latest updates available.

olas88

For sake of discussion, I’m running an older 93sv plus with Livescope on a Summit shuttle and 18 ah Amped battery. If I do not unplug or turn the switch off the battery will drain to near zero in about a week. Turn the switch off or unplug and it will keep charged for months. Also have all the latest updates available.

shock

JoeMX1825
    MN

Garmin XL with an AMPED 18Ah.

can you please provide specs and a picture or two of your inline on/off switch? I’d like to make one myself as I use the exact same setup.

Randall Schultz
    Attachments:
    1. 20220108_100455-scaled.jpg

2. 20220108_100222-scaled.jpg

JoeMX1825
    MN

Much appreciated!

It looks line you’re using the Garmin Ice Bundle power cord… how do you wire it to the 3 prong switch? (I’m terrible with wiring)

JoeMX1825
    MN

Can you show another picture of your battery connections?

Randall Schultz

Here ya go Joe,

The black from the switch and bundle are connected ….then back to the battery …. the red from bundle goes through a fuse to one side of the switch…..other side of switch goes back to the battery.

I highly recommend getting a peer check before you plug anything in!
    It’s okay to ask someone for help.

shock

The minnow head adds conductivity!

Attachments:
    1. 20220110_095648-scaled.jpg

JoeMX1825
    MN

Here ya go Joe,

The black from the switch and bundle are connected ….then back to the battery …. the red from bundle goes through a fuse to one side of the switch…..other side of switch goes back to the battery.

I highly recommend getting a peer check before you plug anything in!
    It’s okay to ask someone for help.

shock

The minnow head adds conductivity!

thanks, that clears it up for me, what gauge wire did you use?

CC

I wouldn’t mind paying someone to do my wires properly so I don’t have to unplug and plug every time.

Randall Schultz

It’s pretty easy… just make sure to use heavy duty wiring and components as recommend by Garmin.

Just need the switch on when charging and plug into the adapter.
    Works perfect.

I copped it off Livescope facebook forum.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.