Garmin for Ice Fishing

• B-man

Do any of you guys use a Garmin with the traditional ice transducer for ice fishing (flasher/2d mode)?
    I’m mostly a park-and-sit guy in a wheel house (little kids), so I don’t think I’d gain much from Panoptics. But I’d like to mount my 73sv plus or gpsMAP 942xs to the wall or auxiliary battery box and hardwire power to it.

I currently run a Bird 45 (love it), but like the idea of a fixed unit in the shack (and get more use out of the boat electronics).

Anyone done something similar?

For those running an ice ducer, how do you like it compared to a traditional flasher?

Here’s a pic of how I would set it up if I went that route. The battery box is already in the shack and runs my non-essential entertainment stuff.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_20181029_171451.jpg

papaperch

The best reason to use Garmin is the Panoptix. If you are not interested in the Panoptix .I would suggest either a Humminbird Helix 5 or 7 G2 ice pack.

I run both the Garmin with Panoptix and a helix 7. The panoptix finds the fish faster than any method out there. With the possible exception of dynamite. Once the Garmin pinpoints them I use the Helix 7 to fish over them. If they move I break out the Garmin again and find them. The panoptix I am using is the PS 22. Obviously not as fancy and as expensive as the new Livescope Panoptix that Garmin brought out this year. But the PS22 is way good enough for me.

The Helix 7 g2 sonar/gps model is impressive in its own right. No significant lag time to me and plenty sensitive. Can use Graph/flasher split screen or as Graph or flasher. Adjustable depth is a great feature. Love the gps with map card too. Haven’t run into anyone that doesn’t like theirs.

AlbinoPike
    SE MN

The best reason to use Garmin is the Panoptix. If you are not interested in the Panoptix .I would suggest either a Humminbird Helix 5 or 7 G2 ice pack.

I run both the Garmin with Panoptix and a helix 7. The panoptix finds the fish faster than any method out there. With the possible exception of dynamite. Once the Garmin pinpoints them I use the Helix 7 to fish over them. If they move I break out the Garmin again and find them. The panoptix I am using is the PS 22. Obviously not as fancy and as expensive as the new Livescope Panoptix that Garmin brought out this year. But the PS22 is way good enough for me.

I agree, I have the Panoptix ice bundle and if you don’t necessarily want the Panoptix, it wouldn’t be worth it. I used the traditional flasher on it twice last year and after used only Down Vu (I do use Side Vu to locate fish). You can watch multiple lines and see fish come in from the sides.

B-man

I know Panoptics is a tremendous search tool, but these days 90% of my ice fishing is stationary.

I don’t see how it would catch me any more fish….. especially $1,000 more in fish….

AlbinoPike
    SE MN

“For those running an ice ducer, how do you like it compared to a traditional flasher?”

There is a delay on the flasher. It’s not too bad. I would prefer my old Humminbird ice 55 or Marcum 3tc over it. But again, I prefer the Down Vu when fishing over any flasher.

B-man

Well finally got time to install the Garmin in the wheelhouse.

Turned out nice and clean.

I added a cup holder to set the transducer in while traveling. I put a piece of foam in the bottom to protect it from the screw I used to mount it.

Used a clam shell for the power wire to the accessory battery below.

The transducer cord is simply wrapped around the swiveling base.

Hope this gives you guys some ideas.

I still have the Bird 45 for outside of the shack and hopping around with the portable.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_20181126_150718.jpg

2. IMG_20181126_150939.jpg

B-man

Just a follow-up after getting to use the graph for three days.

I absolutely loved the performance. Having the 2d history on the graph is an awesome feature. I slowed the scroll speed down so it always showed about 40 seconds into the past.

I also flipped the flasher and 2d to opposite sides compared what was in the pic above. Additionally, I set the zoom on the 2d to the bottom 5 feet.

The detail was amazing, and I definitely prefer it over my Humminbird 45.

It “played well” with my buddy’s Humminbird, no interference whatsoever.

The one and only downside was that I would get bad interference when charging the house battery at night with the generator.

I generally only run the generator at night after fishing, so it’s not a big deal, but it’s worth mentioning if you plan to hardwire a unit into your shack.

Without a doubt the Garmin will be my go-to unit )

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Nice work that’s a good looking unit. Where did you get to use it for 3 days?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.