Camping/fishing

• fishahollik
    South Range, WI

Since I am not made of money, can’t find a money tree and still wanna be able to eat something other than left over leaches. I need some help choosing. I have camped/fished in the Crane lake area twice. We have boated to the northern end of Sandpoint lake and fished it and Namakan. We have caught fish, but nothing spectacular. I was thinking of switching gears and driving a bit further to Rainy. How are the campsites one can boat too (inside Voyagers park area staying on MN side only)? How far is the closest place to get gas and or other essentials? Any tips on where to look for maps and charts ahead of time? I know finding lake maps for Sandpoint and Namakan is difficult.

uffdapete
    Rainy Lake, MN

There are a lot of boat-to campsites in the park which is a good thing because it’s fairly busy now. Coming up during the week will offer you a better choice of sites. You can get the Hotspots map but there is a set of maps sold locally at the 4 main baitshops in town that are more detailed. They are laminated and run about $30 for the set. I’m sure Sportman’s Service would UPS the maps – ph. no. is 218-283-2411. Gas is available at least 3 resorts on the lake near the park visitor center but will run $4/gal vs. $3 in town. The visitor center is at the far west end of the park that has a boat landing, overnight parking and where you get camping permits at no chg. There is a convenience store with a good bait shop along Hwy 11 on the way to the visitor center.
    The fishing on Rainy has been very good since opener. The water temps and fish locations are 2 weeks ahead of normal which means walleyes on are on/near the reefs and bigger pike are near the walleyes. Smallmouth are in transition – off their beds and moving to deeper water.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.