The “BEAST” caught and released on Rainy Lake!!

• arklite881south

Well Boys here she is!! This morning my customer Shawn “Tamed the Beast”. I heard a tremendous ruckus take place as this pike hit his line on the opposite side of the boat. The boil she left on top of the water left me questioning if we should drop the rod and all bail out of the Skeeter!! When we got a look at her the guys were lets say….I BIT EXCITED!! I swear the size of this pikes head when she flared her gils looked as though she could have swallowed a bowling ball!! There was honestly only one way that fish was going to come on board, and that was head first in the Frabill conservation series. We had a very close call with what I predicted a nearly 30lb pike a few days ago when she shook……..MY hooks, so that was definately very fresh in my mind. In the fishing biz it doesn’t count til it hits the net and I certainly understand that!!

Well boys this is Sweet redemption and Shawn Pal……You landed a pike of a lifetime right there. The fish measured 46.5 inches and weighed 25.4lbs!! Her belly was loose and had evidently dropped a massive amount of spawn a short time ago. I felt very close and it was evident her stomache was pretty much empty. Scary to think what this fish would weigh with a belly full of eggs or a few full meals in her.

Shawn insisted on a efficient CPR and I’m proud to say she still calls Rainy Lake……..HOME!! A fiberglass replica of his trophy may be in his near future. This marks #6 over 20lbs since May 1st!!

BTW 30 minutes later Shawn also landed a “Dink” 27 inch walleye!!

Gentleman we’ve did some extra homework this year with Humminbirds Side imaging. The emerging weed lines on the secondary breaks have treated us pretty darn well as of late. IMO these breaks are overlooked by 99% of anglers. In all honesty I’m not sure what these weeds are as they never get to the surface in this particular spot. It could be deep cabbage?? Regardless we’ve worked on top of it and………Well it’s been working pretty good!!

Congratulations Shawn that is a very special fish man!!

Please gentleman should you be fortunate enough as Shawn today to go toe to toe with such a magnificent old fish take very special care of her. If any case screams fiberglass replication I believe in this day and age this fish simply deserves it. Heck for all we know this WILL be the next 35lb Pike or at least now she has the chance!!

DrewH
    s/w WI.

Shawn: That is one helluva northern.

sandmannd

Wow, that is a fish of a lifetime for sure. Congrats to Shawn!! Great to see it swimming away.

a-and-t
    By Rochester,MN

Great job Shawn! Definitely a trophy fish

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

Holly Crap Shawn !!!

She’s a TANK !!!

Great Job on the catch… What was the time frame to land her ? Was she right next to the boat ? way out with reel screeming drags ?

Tell us more !!!!

Bob Bowman
    MN

GOOD LORD

Congrats on a great fish and the release shot is fantastic

a.j.-wiesner
    Ely,MN / Rochester,MN

that’s a true “beast” chris. can’t wait 2 see a pic of her next year cuz i’m sure she’ll see your boat again…

bzzsaw
    Hudson, Wi

Congrats Shawn. Either that fish is huge… or your only 3 feet tall.

arklite881south

Quote:

Holly Crap Shawn !!!

She’s a TANK !!!

Great Job on the catch… What was the time frame to land her ? Was she right next to the boat ? way out with reel screeming drags ?

Tell us more !!!!

Hopefully Shawn will register to give us his own story of the experience. I think he’s in a bit of shock as to how big that fish truly is. The Pike hit boatside to add to the excitement of the ordeal for him. He literally had 5 feet of line out when she crushed him. She fought hard for about 5 minutes. I couls see she only had the back hooks of a stickbait in her, so I took a quick stab at her. Fortunately she found the bottom of the Frabill!! I think she would have had a lot more fight in her if we wouldn’t have taken her so green. We just simply would have lost the fish I fear if we would have tried to play it out. Win some and lose some in that situation. We won this one!!

Bob Spitz
    Osage Iowa

Shawn, check out Flex Fish.com They make the best replicas I have ever seen. That gator is a true giant. Hope you tipped the guide very well!!

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

GOOD LORD

Congrats on a great fish and the release shot is fantastic

48 more hours…. Chris you sure know how to torment a guy. Congrats on one heck of a fish!

Jack Naylor
    Apple Valley, MN

Tremendous Pike Shawn and Chris– WOW

Jack

stratos_375
    Southern Wisconsin

Awesome fish and great job on the release!

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

Simply WOW!!!
    Congrats!

Joel Ballweg
    Sauk City, Wisconsin

That is one awesome pike to say the least.
    Congrats on a fantastic catch Shawn!

I can’t even begin to tell you how much I would love to catch a fish like that one.

Sharon
    SE Metro

All I can say is WOW!

hop307
    Northern Todd County

holy moly rocky thats a monster like one of them european pike

farmboy1
    Mantorville, MN

Beautiful fish. I love the release shot

pool13_jeff
    NW, IL

OMG! OMG! OMG! Nice job guys!

hairjig
    Cudahy, Wis.

An absolute “SWINE” congrats Shawn !!!

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

Awesome fish, congrats Shawn

tony_apisa
    E. Moline Illinois along the Rock River

WOW! That’s all I got to say.

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

Holly crap!!!
    Congrats Shawn on the catch of a lifetime
    And kudos on the release!

layne-monroe
    Lincoln, Ne

Congrats to Shawn… that is truly a beast!

Layne Monroe

znak
    Byron, Mn. Rainy Lake

Thanks Chris, great pictures. Additional proof of my I won’t let my grandkids swim in Rainy.

rgoi812
    Good hour from whitewater

That fish going to be tough to raise the bar on,Congrats on the trophy!!

walleyebuster5
    Central MN

WOW- Great fish and congrats!!!!

All you needed to do was sit down and lay her across your lap with a funny expression on your face and that pic would have circled the world as the new world record!!

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 47 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.