Ice Out

• suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Anyone up there think its happening within 3.5 weeks?

roosterrouster
    Inactive
    The "IGH"...

According to “Tackle Terry Tuma” on the radio this weekend he thinks things all lakes will be “on schedule” for a typical ice-out on MOST lakes in our fine state. I gotta’ think the biggies like Leech, Winni, Red and ML’s will be 7-10 days later than usual yet fishable on the opener’…RR

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I think “on schedule’ might be pushing it a bit. I’m still not convinced we are fishing Red on opener but have made alternate plans to cover any day it frees up from first day into the second weekend.

das_bass
    Mound, MN

Minnetonka is going to be not too far from schedule. Isn’t average ice-out there tomorrow? On the way in to work today I saw significant patch of open water in the middle of Smiths Bay. And open water between Seton and Emerald lakes yesterday.

Matt M
    Blaine, MN

I bet we make it on red in a boat for opener. Smaller lakes in the cities are already free of ice which is a couple days later than average and 2 weeks earlier than last year. The extended forecast looks decent once we get past this week. I say it will be closer than I would like, but open. May 8.

Matt

crossin_eyes
    Lakeville, MN

Any more information on possible ice out for opener? if anyone’s been by the lake and has a report, I’d love to hear it!

joe-winter
    St. Peter, MN

Here is Morts Dock’s blog today.

“The winds have been taking a toll on the ice for a couple

days. It looks very promising that the ice will be off for the

walleye opener. The pike have been spawning for over a

week and the walleye just starting. Suckers should start

up the ditches any day now. Stay tuned for updates as

we inch our way into spring Up North!!

joe-winter
    St. Peter, MN

I’m as anxious as the next guy to get up there. Our family stays at Morts Dock the week starting with Memorial weekend. I think this is our 10 th year in a row.

crossin_eyes
    Lakeville, MN

Satellite image from yesterday sure looks promising!

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

To the uninformed that sliver of water on the body of water to the right is about all we non-natives have access to year round. The remaining is private property.

Brian Hoffies
    Land of 10,000 taxes, potholes & the politically correct.

Why anyone would fish Red is beyond me but to those who do……….good luck and pound the fish this year.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I would have to PM you the reason.

joe-winter
    St. Peter, MN

you’re right Brian. its a complete mystery. everybody should either stop at leech or go right on past to LOW.

i know my in laws, wife and kids sure do hate that we go there every year.

crossin_eyes
    Lakeville, MN

We need a “Like” button on IDO for posts like Joe’s. I’m so giddy I wish I was leaving tomorrow!

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I hope the ice is off because there’s no stopping us now!

crossin_eyes
    Lakeville, MN

Here’s how we look this morning. It’s gonna happen. Sharpen those hooks!

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Sharpen those hooks and mend those nets!!!!

Bob Schultz
    Wausau,Wi

Where do you find those satellite images?

DaveB
    Inver Grove Heights MN

Can you PM me the reason? My uncle is in Park Rapids and I frequently consider running up the extra couple hours to URL. I have never fished it, but willing to try.

chomps
    Sioux City IA

you guys have a great time, due to prom and getting the house ready for the graduation party the following weekend, I will be unable to make it into Minnesota to show you guys where to fish! She’s a Senior so this is the last year I will be using that excuse. Enjoy the company and this should be a good opener on URL.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

You’re hilarious. It’s too cold up here for you anyways.

joe-winter
    St. Peter, MN

Now I am really jealous about the opener up there. low winds all this week. if friday winds from the west stay down, you guys are going to slay them this weekend. If you get a little bit of sun I think it may get crazy.

i gotta wait a couple more weeks.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Just received a report that ice is out. We are golden.

The Tamarack is supposed to be closed this weekend.

joe-winter
    St. Peter, MN

Be fun to sit on the first break outside the tammarack and test out the fishing strategy that James displayed on Sunday’s show.

don’t be shy to send me a fishing report or PM after you guys get back.

good luck

crossin_eyes
    Lakeville, MN

Joe,

It was crazy good. Had to look around a bit on Saturday since we launched at Rogers. Water was dirtier there and too many bigger fish. Went north and found a huge pod of 15-19 inch males. Easily limited out both days. Sunday was a true 100 fish day.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

AND we stayed away from the Tamarac mob.

joe-winter
    St. Peter, MN

Hey thanks for the update. All reports said it was excellent fishing. We rarely ever go over to the tamarack area. its so fun to sit in an area with little to no boats, hammer fish and giggle at all the boats flying over to the tamarack. My sons are getting a little older (7 and 4) and my oldest has caught his limit on the dock faster than my inlaws in the boat before. With the water level back up I bet this will be real possibility this year even though the boys would much rather be in the boat now anyway. either way its gonna be a good week. just hoping for soem decent weather. strong west to nw winds is the only thing that will slow this fishing down for the next month.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.