LOTW / Rainy river help

• rlamar
    Davenport, Iowa, USA

I’ve been sick for a few years, I have a crappy terminal disease ( still hanging on though) Going to the LOTW Oct. 5 thru Oct 13… Rainy river resort.. My son and 5 other FF/paramedics are bringing a crash bag, incase I have problems.. I AM SO JACKED, I’ve missed this, any tips would be greatly appreciated, Thanks in advance, Ron

steve-o
    Des Moines, IA

God Bless You. I don’t fish the Rainy very often maybe once a year if I’m lucky. I’ll give you the best advice I can. I’m sure there will be more informed post from people who are more qualified than I on that fantastic fishery. First the weather. As a outdoorsman I’m sure you know this but dress in layers. Be ready for sun, wind, rain, sleet, ice and snow… all in one day. Make sure you have a nice jigging rod since most of the fishing is vertical jigging with shiners. Have a nice assortment of jigs all the way from 1oz to 1/4oz. You can troll for walleyes as long as there isn’t to much debris in the water. Don’t be afraid to fish shallow early and late in the day. I’m always amazed how shallow they can be especially the big girls. If you have a LakeMaster chip for Lake of the Woods/Rainy River that is a nice tool to have a long. This tool will help you find the holes in the river to start jigging in. If you’ve never fished Rainy River remember to stay on the US side. Basically this in an invisible line down the center of the river, if in doubt play it safe the fines can be hefty. There are a lot of community holes but don’t be afraid to go find your own thing that’s what makes it fun. Good Luck!!! P.S. here is a link to info on fishing Rainy River from the MN DNR. http://files.dnr.state.mn.us/areas/fisheries/baudette/rainy_river_2012_final.pdf

One last thing the walleye in my avatar is a Rainy River walleye 29 1/2″ caught this Spring.

tomhopkins
    waconia, mn

You picked a good time to go. The shiners should be running the river. The fishing is usually good everywhere. Last year a lot of people were fishing out in four mile bay in 28-30 fow. We hammered em on the lake and river. Just ask around when you get up there.

patk
    Nisswa, MN

Sometimes I just have to remind myself to take it all in when I’m in someplace cool like that. I’m sure that’s preaching to the choir but my 2 cents for if the fish don’t do the best job cooperating.

Have a great time and go get’em!!!!

skeeterbite
    illinois

Fishing is the best medicine anyone could take. You will be fine, go out and just relax abnd enjoy youre time on the water. My prayers are with you. Show them boys how good of a fisherman you are. God bless

mike_leclaire
    Grand Rapids, MN

Jigs and minnows or plastics work the best this time of year. If you are fishing the lake I have a secret tip I don’t share often, but most times I never have to leave the gap and catch my limit. Boats are going by all day back and forth and I will sit in the gap and catch my limit of walleyes and saugers just about everytime. If you do hit the lake I would head over to Long Point and fish the reefs. In the river I would head down to the bridge in town and work my back to the lake. If the shiners are running the action should be fast and furious, even still the fish in the river should be hungry right now. Don’t forget your camera as the Rainy River is notorious for BIG Fall ‘EYES…Have fun out there and hang in there no better medicine than fishing and friends!!!

rlamar
    Davenport, Iowa, USA

Thank you all sooo much, I am just happy to make the trip… Fish are a huge bonus, sounds like it may be snowy.. The cold and wind may be a little much for me this weekend, but i’ll get out even if it’s only a couple hours at a time.. Ron

mike_leclaire
    Grand Rapids, MN

We are possibly heading up Sunday, I have friends and guides I know up there said they are slaying the fish right in front of the gap in 22 to 28 FOW. Also, heard of a lot of reports of fish being caught in the river.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.