Looking at a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee

• basser
    White Bear Lake,mn.

Well I’m looking at a limited model 4.7 V-8 and wondering what the pros & cons are? I had a CJ-5 years ago and loved it, but not sure of newer model with all wheel drive and what I’ve read on reviews. I pull a Lund at around 2200 lbs. and thought we would be more happy with suv instead of truck. What are your thoughts? Thanks

dan stien
    Waunakee, Wisconsin

I had a 2005 grand cherokee and got rid of it last year. I would not by another. It was in the shop more than it was out. Had the motor you are looking at had problems with electonics on it, Vacuum lines that froze up and and actually blew out a sensor and leaked oil. Transmission replaced. When I got rid of it it only had 66,000 on it. Just for the record I take very good care of my vehicles. If it needed something I fixed it, all synthetic oils used throughout. Top of the line shocks,struts brakes etc. Premium fuel although mid grade is recommended to be used as a minium in theses vehicles. I had a custom cover made for it also. I was very disappointed with it. I had a 1993 previous to this one and I loved it. I did some research after selling my 05 and found that they are not rated very high in quality and satisaction. My 93 was and supposedly the new ones are again but I will not be trying one. Mine towed my boat ok but nothing to brag about. I also had a class III tow package on mine. Now I have a truck, Get better gas mileage then the jeep and pulls my boat alot better. By the way real mpg with mine 14.5 all around 17-18 on the highway. Good luck with your decision, just thought I would share my expeirence with one.

poppy402
    Eagle Point Wisconsin

I currently have a 2000 and i can say i like it, despite it not being a pick up truck lol. They are gas hogs, but then again it has a v8. I have had a few problems in the past few years, but it was still under warranty so that was a relief. I do have some weird electrical stuff happening every now and then, but then again its not new.

The biggest factor is a Otter Cabin ice house fits in with about 1 inch to spare haha. Cant beat that! I like it, when i am done with school i will get a 4 door pickup, but as for now it has served me well and i cant complain. I really like the all time 4 wheel drive.

doonan
    Storm Lake, IA

I would stay away from a jeep. I work at a dealership and most Jeep/dodge/crysler products scare me. Always seems like something is going wrong.

chamberschamps
    Mazomanie, WI

An old CJ and a new generation Grand Cherokee are not similar vehicles. The only thing they have in common is the name Jeep. They were not even manufactured by the same company.

To me, the “Jeep” died in 2001 when the last classic Cherokee rolled off the line (RIP). Sure, they still make the Rubicon, but the Jeep brand doesn’t mean what it did 20/40/70 years ago. It was once the “vehicle that won the war”. Now its the vehicle that takes the kids to soccer practice. Sigh.

BassMasterFunk
    White Bear Lake, MN

My in-laws had a couple of chryslers over the past ten years and trust me, I won’t be buying anything chrysler anytime soon. The only jeep I would own is the older box style jeep cherokee with the V6. Those were good runners.

pool-8-lax
    La Crosse Wisconsin

I work with a guy who has one and its been nothing but trouble for him..

matt-p
    White Bear Lake, MN

I like jeeps. I have a 94 jeep and its still running after 300000 miles. Also my buddy has a 2009 and loves it too. So I like them and would say go for it but thats just me.

walleyejgr

Honestly I would avoid the 4.7 If you want a jeep I would look for one with the 4.0 they are strong low mantanice engines,not the best fuel mileage.Used to be a Mopar/Jeep technition

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

I have been looking at Jeeps. Seems like a lot of them have a 6cyl 3.7l engine. I take it that is different than the 4.0 your are talking about.

What about tow packages on those engines? Tranny and oil coolers? Most of what Im seeing doest have any mention of a these items or a “Towing Package”.

Thanks.

sundogg44
    Eden Prairie/Mille Lacs

I have a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee, but it’s the V6 model. It’s been pretty good to me overall and I’ve now got 115,000+ miles on it and it tows our 2,200# boat with no problem.

I can’t speak to the V8 version, however.

big_g
    Isle, MN

I manage a Chrysler dealership service dept… please send all these troubled JEEPS my way…. tell all your “friends” with problems to bring them to me… we need the work. I also notice they have a service dept on all dealerships in town.. I think maybe Chev’s, Fords and even Toyotas need repairs sometimes

On the 2005 GC, with the 4.7, I see no issues with that vehicle. My brother and sister in law drive them, they have his and hers 2005, with the 4.7 and they have over 100K on each with no major issues. The only complaint they have is the fabric on the seats, isn’t very kid friendly, they are easy to stain, hard to clean. That’s an honest review.

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

A vehicle that scores poorly on consumer satisfaction reports doesn’t get that without reason. I understand the other manufacturer’s have repair shops at their dealerships too but those vehicles are rated, scored, and opinionized by the same public and scoring system.

My question to you is this: Why a Jeep? Everyone knows they’re gas hogs so why not drive something with a little more cargo space? It won’t cost you anymore to drive something bigger, less likely (by consumer rating percentages) to have issues, in most cases a better ride, and typically for around the same sale price?

Unless there’s a price tag that’s just too good to pass up, I fail to see the advantages of driving smaller, mid-sized trucks and SUV’s vs. full size. Not to mention longer wheelbases make for a better ride overall and better tracking in sloppy, slick conditions.

My experience, based on the friends and acquaintances that I have, MOST have decided they’ll never own another one. And that…… if considered bias, only happens because they’ve looked around at other people, what they own, and asked how it’s holding up. When others don’t have these issues, or as many of them, it’s not influence. It’s the desire to get a good bang for your buck.

The 1968 Ford Fairlane was a notorious lemon….my dad had one go 182,000 problem free miles. He STILL says he was just one of the lucky ones. So while it’s possible to have a good apple in a problematic basket, the question is, “Do ya feel lucky?”.

No matter what you choose, good travels to ya!

big_g
    Isle, MN

4.7 a gas hog ??? What do you think it gets for mileage… and 2nd, which other bigger SUV’S gets that same mileage ???

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

With all this negativity I must respond. I have had 4 Jeeps. All great vehicles. My wifes current 04 GC has given us 95K trouble free miles, so far. The 4.7 V8 rocks. She calls it her pocket rocket. It is her all time favorite vehicle and I drive it frequently for the pure pleasure of it. We plan to keep it for a long time.

And we can get over 20 mpg with this V8 “gas hog”.

John Schultz
    Inactive
    Portage, WI

My third jeep was a 2005 grand cherokee. If I were you, I would run fast and run far. Something was always breaking on that thing. My first two jeeps were awesome. The 4WD system was fantastic. It was a solid vehicle when it wasn’t in the shop. Gas mileage was poor. 18 HWY, 14 city, and 11 towing anything. The most annoying thing with it was the dash lights for the heater and anything else in that area kept going out, requiring the entire heater control panel to be replaced. I replaced two, and when I got rid of it, it was out again. I only kept it for 3.5 years.

mojogunter

My wife has had two grand Cherokee’s. I think a 95 with a 318, and a 2001 with a 4.7. We sold both with 75k miles, and never had any issues. The 318 was really good for mileage on the hwy it would get 21, in town about 15. The 4.7 wasn’t quite as good maybe 14 in town, and 19 hwy. I pulled a couple of snowmobiles with the 4.7 and it pulled just fine, but because the suspension was pretty soft you certainly knew it was back there if you hit any bumps, but it pulled just fine. I have no idea what it ran for mileage pulling a two place snowmobile trailer; it has been to long ago for me to remember. My wife missed the jeep for years, and she quit buying them because they were too small for infant car seats.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.