Android App of the Day

• Calvin Svihel
    Northwest Metro, MN

Efart Big Buttons is a classic…

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Hey! No one ran this by me first. I thought I was the unofficial IDO Android guy. No?

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Will this count as a horn in my boat?

tanker64
    S.E. Mn

I would say it has to be the Navionics app bar none.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

LOL, I love it! And my wife just rolled her eyes

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

You may already know about them, but I found a couple of apps that will display river data.

River Weather – Not as many gauges.
    River Flows – Uses data from both USGA and NOAA.

whiskeyandwater
    ????

Quote:

Hey! No one ran this by me first. I thought I was the unofficial IDO Android guy. No?

Maybe have you finally rooted your phone?

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Quote:

Quote:

Maybe have you finally rooted your phone?

Yes sir! I rooted a few months ago. I have had a couple flaky issues, nothing major, and nothing I could be sure has anything to do with the mod. I believe most my issues have been hardware.

So my contract expired and now I am playing a waiting game with Verizon to get the best deal on the latest and greatest phone. I heard rumors of price drops and incentives coming soon.

One weird thing happened this last weekend and I thought it was the humidity. My phone would inexplicably reboot into a screen that said something to the effect that the screen/battery OK connect to computer by USB to program….something like that. It was like the BSOD for Android!

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

…and if you haven’t noticed, I like to self proclaim myself as the Unofficial ____ guy around here. I am just trying to be relevant, because no one takes me seriously.

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Quote:

…and if you haven’t noticed, I like to self proclaim myself as the Unofficial ____ guy around here. I am just trying to be relevant, because no one takes me seriously.

Don’t sell yourself short. You are the best tree hugger IDO has.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Quote:

Don’t sell yourself short. You are the best tree hugger IDO has.

I only have hugged one tree and that is the giant Red Maple we have in front. Beyond that I consider myself a conservationist who hates the Sierra Club and PETA.

whiskeyandwater
    ????

Well since you are finally rooted. I’ll let it go. I’m waiting for HTC to unlock my boot loader so I can root the new toy. It’s been a Looooooong month.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Rooted users who have not been able to rent movies through Google Video, someone has modified the app to allow us to rent and watch videos now.

SDX – Developers

markmoran
    Rochester MN

What is the benefit of rooting your phone?

whiskeyandwater
    ????

Gives you complete control over your phone. Depending on the phone yo have I’m finding the newer phones really are having Less rooting benefits/need to do it. However you are able to change the OS in Many ways, you can change the look as much or little as you want. People MUCH smarter than I have written custom scripts for most phones to improve battery life. ( that is probably the BIGGEST reason)

I’m currently using an HTC EVO 3D Went a month before the phone was able to be rooted. I have to say I rooted for one reason really. I wanted to remove all the crappy apps sprint put on that phone that I would never use. Ultimately giving me more memory. However in about a year or so, when the thing becomes “outdated” developers will be busting their buts to keep it relevant. It all depends on how you use your phone for the benefits to rooting. but if you do root just becareful because it can be addicting…

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

So how exactly does that 3D work? Or maybe my question is more, is it cool or just gimmicky.

whiskeyandwater
    ????

It works pretty slick. I think the reviews on the 3D were FAR off. IT’s an amazing phone and the 3D is not bad like everyone said. However I will have to say it’s gimmicky only in the fact that the novelty wears off. However I still take most of my pictures in 3D as they can be converted to 2D So since I can why not? But the “effect” is AMAZING! I have some great shots of the river from the bluffs that when I convert to 2D just aren’t the same. Plus if you figure out the angles. you can make things look “touchable” which is just crazy.

I think like everything else if 3D were more readily available, in apps movies, and other phones, it would be less gimmick, but whatever. I bought it for the specs, and the 3D was really an added bonus.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.