lookin at both any input appreciated thanks just a good fishing boat

targaman
    Inactive
    Wilton, WI

Oh boy… Both really nice boats.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Very broad question. Better for what? Lakes/Rivers?
    Walleye/Catfish?

Which model?

Better price/quality?

I own a Lund, but the same style Alumacraft would make me just as happy.

kroger3
    blaine mn

All depends on what you fish for the most and what size you looking for? tiller or wheel? Post what you are looking for in a boat and im sure you will get alot of info.

superdave
    NE IA

I think you can get more boat from Alumacraft for the same price.

francisco4
    Holmen, WI

I too have a Lund, but I really think that they both have some very nice models. Is there a price point that you are looking at? Consider your needs, your families needs, how you fish, where you fish, what your tow vehicle is, size of garage, ect. If you are asking is one better built than the other……..I think that would be tough to answer.

Don’t forget to try to get a ride in any boat you are considering. I would also try to load it the way you would normally run it. It is amazing what a few hundred pounds in the wrong place can do to the ride/performance of a boat.

Good Luck,

FDR

mojogunter

I think they both make good boats. I have owned a couple of Lunds, and I know a couple of people that have Alumacrafts. I think that if you are looking for the most boat for the money Alumacraft will get you more boat. That being said if you fish big water hard in all conditions the Lund Pro-V is about the most overbuilt aluminum boat made, and Alumacraft doesn’t offer an equal. The resale of the Lund is much better than the Alumacraft as well, but if you are going to keep the boat for years and years then that won’t matter as much.

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Personal opinion only.

Lund is better built, better fit and finish. Better layouts for fishing on every model they sell. Lund will hold it’s resale better than any other aluminum boat sold in the 5 state area. (MN-ND-SD-IA-WI)

-J.

85lund
    Menomonie, WI

I am looking at new boats now and I am leaning towards an Alumacraft Trophy 185. A Lund with the same features would cost me $10,000 more. I haven’t ridden in the boat yet so I cant say anything about the ride versus a Lund.

perchhead

Personally I would go alumacraft all the way I have a Lund pro-sport and it is the roughest ride I have ever experienced, whereas the alumacraft is alot smoother and I personally do not think that there is a big gap on resale if everything is taken care of properly and maintence is performed regularily.

AllenW
    Mpls, MN

imho it’s not about what anybody else thinks, it’s about what boat you feel comfortable fishing in.

Go hit the dealers and spend some time in the different boats, imagine fishing and whatever else your planing on doing out of them, find the boat YOU will be happy with.
    Storage room, livewells, battery location, comfort of the seats, rod holder spots, the list goes on.

We looked for over 3 months till we found the boat we wanted, fit and finished between the Lund and Alumacraft were to close to tell, but the Alumacraft had the features I wanted, plus the wife liked the high sides and layout better.

Try to get out and ride in a few and take notes on the good and bad things of each boat you try, pretty hard to find a boat that is a 100% what you want.

Al

herb
    6ft under

I always liked my Otter but admit I never had a Clam.
    I prefer my Jiffy over the Strikemasters I’ve used.
    Got two Vexilars and only one Marcum.
    Oh Oh!!!!!!!!
    wrong thread!

bigcrappie
    Blaine

Quote:

I am looking at new boats now and I am leaning towards an Alumacraft Trophy 185. A Lund with the same features would cost me $10,000 more. I haven’t ridden in the boat yet so I cant say anything about the ride versus a Lund.

I just picked up a 175 last year and all I can say is pull the trigger. I love my Trophy, if you get the 185 get the 150hp.

farmboy1
    Mantorville, MN

I think both manufaturers make a quality boat. For me, I will not own a Lund because of the Mercury Motors they have on them. IMHO a much more important issue than the boat brand

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Quote:

…because of the Mercury Motors they have on them.

You have a problem with quality? Must be the Husky in you

Mocha
    Park Rapids

Boy this has been posted so many times but…… you can get what ever motor you want on a Lund. Every Lund dealer I called while shopping will put any brand motor that they currently carry on a Lund. I have done it 2 times in the last 3 years as have many many others. Just wanted to get the record straight.

a1a

Quote:

I think you can get more boat from Alumacraft for the same price.

Namely the brand motor YOU want.

Pig-hunter
    Southern Minnesota

Quote:

Lund Pro-V is about the most overbuilt aluminum boat made, and Alumacraft doesn’t offer an equal.

Tourney Pro is just as good of a boat. Lund Pro-V is a dandy though, there is no doubt. I just wouldn’t say that Alumacraft doesn’t have anything to match it. The Tourney Pro is a sweet boat all around.

stevenoak

When I was looking at new Lund found they came prerigged {wiring and gauges}for sister motor and to switch to Yammaha would be expensive.Some dealers may be more willing to make changes more resonable.Also heard of a small dealer in Illinios that lost dealership installing to many Yammies.May have been other issues,I don’t know.This has been an ongoing conversation.Nice to have a dealer chime in.

mojogunter

I agree that both make a good boat, but I don’t think that Alumacraft make a tournament pro anymore. The trophy 205 is 20’8″ same as the 2075 ProV. The ProV is max rated HP is 300 the Trophy is 225HP, so you can’t really call that equal. I have no doubt that the Alumacraft is a great boat, but I do know that I had a 2025 Pro-V and beat the crap out of it time after time, and it never missed a beat. Maybe the Trophy could handle it too, but I can’t say for sure.

Quote:

Quote:

Lund Pro-V is about the most overbuilt aluminum boat made, and Alumacraft doesn’t offer an equal.

Tourney Pro is just as good of a boat. Lund Pro-V is a dandy though, there is no doubt. I just wouldn’t say that Alumacraft doesn’t have anything to match it. The Tourney Pro is a sweet boat all around.

targaman
    Inactive
    Wilton, WI

You can get a tournament pro if you special order it. This came from an Alumacraft rep on Walleye Central.

das_bass
    Mound, MN

I have an Alumacraft Tournament Pro 175, 2000. It is the Tiller model, and had TONS of room in it. The only time I don’t like it, is in rougher weather. Tillers tend to get the driver wet in those conditions. Otherwise, I love my boat.

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

I love my Lund, I have had 4 of them however like was said in a earlier post the first thing you need to decide is what motor do you want on your boat? If you do not want a Merc then the boat question is already decided for you. If I was buying a new boat today Lund would not be on my list, I do not like the idea of Lund telling me I have to have a Merc on the back of the boat.

nick
    Lakeville, MN

Imho Lund makes a better and nicer boat, everything else aside (cost, motor choice, etc.)

francisco4
    Holmen, WI

Quote:

When I was looking at new Lund found they came prerigged {wiring and gauges}for sister motor and to switch to Yammaha would be expensive.Some dealers may be more willing to make changes more resonable.Also heard of a small dealer in Illinios that lost dealership installing to many Yammies.May have been other issues,I don’t know.This has been an ongoing conversation.Nice to have a dealer chime in.

I have a Lund with 2 Yammies hanging on the back. The funny thing is that my throttle control at the wheel says Mercury on it. Just saying… I can’t say that I paid extra for the Yami either.

FDR

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.