okay.. getting by on the cheap..dumb gps question

• oldrat
    Upper Midwest

okay.. has anyone used a car GPS for fishing? I spoke to garmin.. and they said, YES you can use your car GPS in a boat and you can down load the northern lake area to a car GPS..

so being that I am short on beans.. has anyone tried this?

I really would like to hear the pro’s and cons of this.. the garim guy said I could add way points.. and it would track where I have been. with a magenta color no less.

any one with some better inside information.. I am a fair weather fisherman, so I am not afraid of wet weather on the unit. and you can buy a lighter plug in for a buck two eighty…

any opinions or personal knowledge or what ever. Please, please let me know..

jerry b
    western WI

I never tried mine that way, BUT I do know they don’t like summer heat or winter cold. Mine (255w) has screen issues if it gets too cold/hot. I keep it in the house till I’m ready to use it.- jerr

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

my brother is doing this with his Garmin Nuvi, I don’t know excatly which model number he has. And it works fine. The only draw back is that he doesn’t have the best resolution. But it’s working fine for him, all he needed was the chip and he’s in business.

Rootski

trophy19
    Maple Grove, MN

Not a dumb question… I asked the same thing a few months ago.

As long as you are trailering your boat down the freeway…should work just fine

It can be done, but the consensus vote was buy a used H2O for much better results, summer or winter.

Pete

walleyehunter01
    west central wisconsin

when the whole gps wave hit the fishing market i was using my hand held gps. ( short on beans also) it worked just fine , served its purpose.

Czech
    Cottage Grove, MN

My truck came with a Garmin Street Pilot, it now has a Lakemaster chip in it. It is mounted on a ram mount so I can easily switch it between. It does not leave bread crumb trails, and the voice yells ‘off track’ a lot (turn it down), but it does work!

Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

I have the Lowrance XOG in my truck. It worked better than not having any GPS lake maps. There are better options out there, but this worked for me until I decided it was worth it to upgrade.

iacanoeguy
    Iowa - Franklin Co

I also have the XOG and a Lakemaster chip. I use mine in the boat and ice fishing. The only problem I have with it is the battery does not last very long. This seems to be more of a problem out in the boat than ice fishing but it sure works well enough for me.

jon_wbl

I know the Garmin Nuvi’s dont want to be anywhere near water. Humidity will take them out. You would need to be very careful on the water.

Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

Quote:

I also have the XOG and a Lakemaster chip. I use mine in the boat and ice fishing. The only problem I have with it is the battery does not last very long. This seems to be more of a problem out in the boat than ice fishing but it sure works well enough for me.

I’ve installed a 12V cig lighter outlet on my sleds to solve this problem. Same thing in the boat.

sharkbait
    The mud puddle in western Ks

I used mine and it did good enough till I upgraded.Only problem I had was on trolling speeds alot of the car gps blank out the speed to zero around 1-1.5 mph.But other than that alot better than Nothing.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.