Getting rid of Gophers?

• TazTyke
    Central Minnesota

No not the sports teams for all you Badger fans!

I have seemed to aquire a visiter in my back yard. I haven’t tried anything yet because this is my first encounter. I staked out last night with the 22 waiting to see if he would poke up his head but no luck.

What works, what doesn’t work and at what point do you give up and call in the pro’s? I am heading to Fleet today to see what they have for the wonderful state rodent!

Thanks!

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Tunnel traps have always worked for me.

phigs
    Twin Cities, MN

Any Division III school should take care of the problem…

mrwalleye
    MN

Look up the rodent blaster

bigcrappie
    Blaine

Gopher trap. Medards sells them.

theduck

It will depend on what type of gopher. If it is a pocket gopher it will have big mounds of dirt in the yard. They can be trapped with a gopher trap. Dig up one of the mounds and place trap in the tunnel. then cover the hole you dug with a pice of board so no light gets back in the tunnel. check trap daily to see what you have caught.
    If it is a striped gopher that digs a bunch of holes, leading to long tunnels, they are trickier to trap. You could poison with poison peanuts or other “baits”, you could also watch for him to appear then chase him down a hole. Fill a 5 gallon bucket with water and drown him out. Place a net with small holes over tunnel before pouring water down the hole. Then dispose of any way you want after the gopher is caught in the net.

Doug Bonwell
    Cedar Falls IA

Bill Murray might be able to help???

big_g
    Isle, MN

Hire Tim Brewster…. Actually, this old trick seldom fails ,plus is a hoot You need a garden hose and a baseball bat…. set the hose by hole, so the water is running down the hole, now get ready…. when he vacates faster than Bush from New Orleans, you whack him as he comes out the hole…

big G

John Schultz
    Inactive
    Portage, WI

A small live trap baited with sunflower seeds taped down to the flipper that trips the trap gets them in short order. Its more fun to shoot them, but they don’t seem to cooperate that well with showing up when you have time to sit and wait for them. The live trap gets them every time as they just can’t ignore sunflower seeds. You will get some squirrels sometimes too, but you can just let them go, or eat them. Up to you.

I tried the poison peanuts once and it did nothing.

hags54701
    Eau Claire, WI

I was going to agree with the water in the hole method, but after watching Czech’s video post hard to beat that method. I think you could sell tickets if you offer good enough seats.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Quote:

Get a snake.

That’s what I should get for the shews. I know most people hate rodents, but you might know from my other posts I am tolerant of nature…to a point.

I have been hearing loud squeaks in the back yard and my dogs seem to be interested. The squeaks were so loud I thought it was a bat or flying squirrel, I had no idea those little shrews could be so loud.

Today I caught the dogs (poms) harassing one that must have been slowed by the cold morning. The one dumb dog actually nipped it and the thing played dead. Those things might have little teeth, but in the wrong spot it could lead to a big vet bill.

Maybe I can just redirect their paths all into the neighbors yard.

Czech
    Cottage Grove, MN

Quote:

Those things might have little teeth, but in the wrong spot it could lead to a big vet bill.

If I recall, they are one of the only mammals that have venom too!

Mike Stephens
    WI.

My pellet gun serves the pupose just fine. Hone your skills at the same time

jerrj01
    Hudson, WI

Quote:

http://www.rodenator.com/

Call me, I want to watch.

I so want one of these. I have a mole problem right now and the extermination is not going well. Besides this looks like a riot.

Czech
    Cottage Grove, MN

Me thinks a few IDO’s and some cutting torch tanks and we’re good to go?

dougie
    Sobieski,Wi

We used the water trick too but used golf clubs instead of baseball bats. If you see what hole he goes down get a smoke bomb and put it down the hole.

TazTyke
    Central Minnesota

That would be fun!

I had an x-employee that her husband did that himself with propane and just about burnt down half of Anoka County. He didn’t relize that the tunnel went for about 100 yards and when it blew he said the fireball was about 20 feet high. I am sure it didn’t help that he used a whole 20# propane cylinder in the tunnel.

I was thinking it was a pocket gopher but it could be a striped gopher? He hasn’t had the balls to show himself yet! I picked up a tunnel trap. If that doesn’t work I will try the water on Thursday. I will be waiting at sun up for a chance to blast him until he is gone!

weldon
    Rochester, Mn

Live trap and sunflower seeds works well. Not as exciting at the above solution, but then there isn’t a trip to the emergency room when your done either…

Richard V.
    Somewhere over the rainbow

Quote:

http://www.rodenator.com/

Call me, I want to watch.

This is a site has my interest. I have to do some more reading in the Gopher University section because I sure as hell am not spending $1600 to blow them up, I don’t think so anyway. Maybe I could drag my cutting torch around the yard a little.

Although acetylene may burn dirtier than propane so maybe I won’t.

Czech
    Cottage Grove, MN

I was honestly going to rent one for my dad on father’s day, if I recall there was a guy in Hastings? It was a hundred or so?

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

That’s got to raise ‘ell with the golf course greens.

I’m getting TWO!

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.