What do I know about Cats???

• iacanoeguy
    Iowa - Franklin Co

Since my bass fishing has been so slow lately I had a hot tip of cats biting in a county park pond. My wife and I thought we would give it a try. I USED to fish cats in my river days, but that as 35 years ago. I thought this pond held some small ones, but after she and I both had one break off, I reached for the big pole with braided line. Using some cut bait, it didn’t take long for some action. I missed the first hook set, so the next time I was ready. When this nice one hit, the battle was on. I think it took me about 10 mins to get her close enough to the shore where I could reach down and jam my hand in her mouth. After I released this one and wrapped up my bloody thumb I tossed out another cut bait. It wasn’t 5 mins. later and I have the brother on. Hey, this is fun!!!! I am still rusty on the grabbing without getting chewed up, but had a great time. Might have to try this again someday.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

You and James would get along fine!

They are a hoot aren’t they!?

Thanks for sharing!!

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

You and James would get along fine!

They are a hoot aren’t they!?

Thanks for sharing!!

Rule #1 – In my boat all channels must be lipped. Gloves may NOT be used.

Rule #2 – No whimpering over scuffed knuckles.

I think BK bled for the better part of a long day of fishing after adhering to Rule #1. And he broke rule #2. Such a sissy.

Whiskerkev
    Madison

Your hands will toughen up a bit after a while. Every once and a while a 6 or 8 lber will bite me pretty good. Once they get bigger than that, they only bite you if they feel threatened. James’ rules are enforced on my rig.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

I think there was a little tear in my eye the 4th or 5th time he chomped down.

…and I really don’t want the back side of my hands toughened up.

Some people have goofy boat rules.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

iacanoeguy those are some dandy channels. I think you found a secret hole!

dfresh
    Fridley, MN

For some reason that cat looks really happy to me. Like a fat little Buddha!

iacanoeguy
    Iowa - Franklin Co

I have hooked plenty of LARGE northerns in the canoe – just let them pull me around – might have to try the flathead idea. I caught a 30 lb flathead when I was 16 – scared the crap out of me, but I ended up in the river with it to get it landed. OOOO what fun

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.