DirecTV Upgrade to HD – Questions??

• dan-larson
    Cedar, Min-E-So-Ta

Just unwrapped a 58″ plasma, now it is time to upgrade my service.

I tried calling yesterday but sat on hold for awhile, and had to give up and do some work.

Couple questions for those in the business, or have done this before.

I have 4 TVs in the house. 3 are HD compatible (including the new one), 1 is a 35″ tube. I have two non-HD boxes. One is on an HD TV, the other is on the tube, the third TV is a 42 inch HD, that is just hooked up to an HD antennae.

1. If I buy a new HD\DVR box for the new TV, will the DVR work with my old recievers?

2. I need a new dish\antennae right?

3. Are there any deals that can be worked with DirecTV for the install and equipment?

There is probably a lot I am not thinking of, any advice is appreciated.

broncosguy
    Blaine, MN

it should work with the old receivers.

the part to understand when you order movies/fights/ pay per view items and you ask for HD you pay a up charge of 10.00 which stinks.

i think they might upgrade/install you for free. call and see what they offer.

right now they are offering NFL ticket for 45.00 a month and 6 month free programming. it is cheaper to go that way then cancel in 5 months and down grade to save some money. if you have more questions PM me your number and I can answer what i know.

tonyholland00
    Plymouth MN

Best thing to do is when it asks for what you are calling about say cancel service or get into retention dept. they will bend over backwards to keep you as a client. I call in once a year to leave….and have free HBO Starz or Showtime all year and a discount on my bill. Just say you are going to dish network because they are offering Free HD and Free Recievers.

Tony

big_g
    Isle, MN

Well I can tell you this. DirectTv just sent me 2 new receivers, evidently the old ones will soon stop working…anyways, one advantage already, the Discovery Channel comes in alot clearer now I did notice on the receiver, they do say Non-HD Receivers….. I think if you have a TV that is not HD, thats when you would need the HD receiver, if that makes sense… 58″ Plasma

big G

liljac
    Lakeville, MN

Depending on how old your dish is you may or may not need a new one. I just recently got direct tv and I think they are running a two free hd dvr special right now. Adding hd and dvr service was $17 a month extra.

The other option that may be great for you since you want to have two hd dvr tv’s is the whole home system. Record or pause a movie in one room and finish it in the other, pretty sweet.

Anyway you look at it your going to be upgrading so im sure they would do free installation, you may just have to renew your contract.

oldrat
    Upper Midwest

what you want is a slimline dish and HR24’s.. boxes.. this box is supposed to be the cats’s behind when it comes to boxes..
    they should give you a free upgrade but it will mean a two year commitment.. which if you enjoy Directv, is nothing. . and again.. fight not only for the upgraded boxes BUT fight for up to free SUNDAY TICKET.. just like the new subscribers get.. or the free six months of everything if you buy Sunday ticket..

and I will tell you that your old tvs can get the HD signal as well.but don’t use the blue /green / yellow plugs but the red/ white/ yellow plugs.. and then change the resolution on your new HD boxes and see if they work.. if it works YOU are in like flin.. if they don’t you are out NOTHING.. btw.. if you live in a 4 Meg area..meaning that your locals are 4 meg and not standard.. HD is FREE for life.. LaCrosse is one of those areas.. I know..

I wish you well. and just because I come across strong in print.. , it doesn’t mean that I am not here to help others..

Seth Larson
    Winfield, MO

I just upgraded my system from Standard Definition DVR to High Definition DVR. I only have 1 receiver. My dish was 1 year old. They had to replace it. They also replaced my Receiver(Obviously). When I called they wanted to Charge me $200 for the receiver. Free install and charge $10 month for the HD service. I already pay $7 for DVR. After a short discussion about getting all of that for free by switching to Dish I ended up Paying $106 for a new HD DVR receiver with free install and by signing up for auto pay out of my bank account I get the HD service for free. So in total I paid $106 to upgrade and my monthly bill remains the same.

dan-larson
    Cedar, Min-E-So-Ta

So here is how it ended up.

1 new HD\DVR receiver for the new TV – $99 (normally $199)
    2 new HD receivers for the other two HD tvs – $198 (supposed I got a break on those too, can’t remember how much)
    1 whole home equipment package (to sync all 3 HD receivers) -$99

2 upgraded basic receivers, to replace the ones I have – no charge. Means TV is coming to the garage, and up to Aitkin.

Free install, free HD dish for the roof.

Free HD service for 24 months (normally $10 per month)

DVR service is $7 per month.

Whole home service $3 per month, which includes internet access to what is recorded on my DVR, I can watch via the internet.

My bill will go up $15 per month for the three new receivers, and $10 for the DVR and whole home, $25 total.

What I can say is that the gal that helped me was very nice, and the process was fairly painless.

Oh yeah, they threw in NFL Sunday Ticket for this year, and pretty much all the movie channels except Skinemax for 6 months free.

I guess I am going to have to start watching more TV.

oldrat
    Upper Midwest

Hey, Hey.. there you go with that SUNDAY TICKET.. that’s $450.. did you get the HR24’s?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.