Electronics rebooting when starting motor

• fisherman-j
    Northern MN

A friend installed a couple of HDS units for me. We put a HDS-5 on the bow and a HDS-7 on the console. Both units are tied in the previous unit’s power source. The HDS-5 replaced a x125 on the bow and the HDS-7 replaced a LCX-15ci on the console. The HDS-7 is wired to the fuse box.

My main motor is a 2005 225 Honda V-Tec. When I start the main motor, the HDS-7 on the console reboots and sometimes the HDS-5 on the bow reboots too. I replaced the cranking battery, but after a few starts, it does the same thing.

Any solutions for this?

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

Too much drop in power when cranking big motor, activate the onscreen voltage for the unit to prove it. The new units are more sensitive to power surging than your last.

Tie directly to the battery and dont forget the inline fuse. If that does not solve it you will need a larger battery like a group 27 if you are running a 24. -Mark

stuwest
    Elmwood, WI

How about a second battery??

brad0383
    Farmington, MN

It is caused by a voltage drop when the starter is cranking. Either you battery is too small or it may be getting weak. What I would do first however, is give a good overnight charge. Our starting batteries take quite a licking with all the electronics and pumps we run with them. And that typical 15-20 minute boat ride to and from the boat ramp is not a enough to top off the charge.

fisherman-j
    Northern MN

Quote:

Too much drop in power when cranking big motor, activate the onscreen voltage for the unit to prove it. The new units are more sensitive to power surging than your last.

Tie directly to the battery and dont forget the inline fuse. If that does not solve it you will need a larger battery like a group 27 if you are running a 24. -Mark

Thanks for the reply. How does going direct to the battery differ from going to the fuse panel which draws from the same battery? Don’t they draw from the same power source? Wouldn’t it still be disrupted when starting the motor?

toothycritters

Thanks for the reply. How does going direct to the battery differ from going to the fuse panel which draws from the same battery? Don’t they draw from the same power source? Wouldn’t it still be disrupted when starting the motor?

yes it would still be disrupted, I have the same situation. I have not gone to a bigger battery or a second battery for electronics, but I do have both finders wired directly to the battery and fused on the positive side. I have thought about using the small batteries that one uses with their flashers since they would take very little space….

fisherman-j
    Northern MN

Quote:

It is caused by a voltage drop when the starter is cranking. Either you battery is too small or it may be getting weak. What I would do first however, is give a good overnight charge. Our starting batteries take quite a licking with all the electronics and pumps we run with them. And that typical 15-20 minute boat ride to and from the boat ramp is not a enough to top off the charge.

I charged and installed a new cranking battery. The console unit started rebooting after the third start.

brad0383
    Farmington, MN

Quote:

Quote:

I charged and installed a new cranking battery. The console unit started rebooting after the third start.

What size wire do you have running to your electronics? If wire gauge is too small it will have a lot of resistance over the long lengths, and that will cause a voltage drop. One other thing to check is the connections. Are they clean and corrosion free? Do you have a voltmeter? Connect it to the power input at your sonar while starting the motor and see what it drops to. Then compare that to the voltage reading directly at the battery during a start.

John Gildersleeve
    Frazee,MN

This is a very common thing to happen if a ground wire has come loose from the grounding block. Take a look at all your grounds and make sure they are not disconnected. I have seen this happen mulitiple times and made lots of money finding the loose wires.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.