trolling motor help

• rlamar
    Davenport, Iowa, USA

I am disabled, I have a bow mount MK power drive. I have a very hard time deploying and pulling up the motor, I am afraid of falling overboard. My question is is there a motor that deploys electrically or is easier or should I try a transom mount. I wonder if a transom mount will be haerder to control the boat, by the way, I fish the Mississippi, so current is a issue. Thank you in advance for any help or advice. Ron

jhalfen

The MinnKota Genesis (I think that was the model) was an electric stow and deploy bowmount. Those are not manufactured anymore, but some are still around. In fact, I saw one last weekend on P4.

If you’re willing to go cable-steer, the Fortrex may be a good choice. The corded handle and lift-assist design makes deploying and recovering the motor easier than you’d experience with a Terrova or Powerdrive.

The Fortrex was new for 2009, and the reviews (and my own experience) have been very positive. People are sometimes leery of new technology, but those concerns are unfounded when it comes to Fortrex. Check out this link for more Fortrex information:

Fortrex info from MinnKota

I’m not a big transom mount guy, but the Vantage transom mount has electric stow and deploy for effortless trolling motor use. I see them on a few boats down on the river, and personally think they’re best suited for lower-flow situations…and of course they require you to use one of your fishing hands to control the boat (bye-bye two rod applications).

For more Vantage information, check out this link:

Vantage information from MinnKota

t-ellis
    Colorado Springs, CO

My Minnkota Maxxum has lift assist which really makes lifting and deploying alot easier. There used to be a product Lake Systems Power Arm which did exactly what you are looking to do but i believe they are no longer in business.

terrysavoie

As it happens, I have Genesis, 60″, 74lb thrust, 24 volt system I would sell. Only needs a mounting plate (and the batteries of course). You can email me at
    terry at buyashed (dot) com

cupspits

i had the same problem straight from the factory till i sprayed wd40 on the shaft it practically falls in the water trust me wd will fix the problem.

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Agree. The Maxxum with lift assit. If you fall overboard, at least you are still holding on to the release cord!!

Silicone works better than WD-40

There is good reason Minnkota dumped the Genesis. You couldnt pay me to put one on my boat,

-J.

moler02
    Iowa, Knoxville

Minn Kota told me Armour All, worked fantastic.

rgoi812
    Good hour from whitewater

If all or any of the suggestions posted dont help out try the open seat forum or better yet take a neighbor kid fishing to help with the chore.Win Win situation if you find a fishing partner that way.

jd318
    NE Nebraska

I have a MinnKota Genesis. I love the motor. The only problem with it is, they don’t make it anymore and (I don’t think) won’t provide support as a result.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.