Dodge Truck Question

• Prestige
    Elgin, MN

Today on my way to a job my truck quit. After looking at it I figured the fuel pump went bad. My regular mechanic did not have a way to test the pump so I went to the local Dodge dealer since I thought they would have the parts right away. They called me after testing it and said it was bad. But here is the problem. They said they will not have the part for 1 or up to 3 months or more because they are back ordered. And the new pump is a single pump that replaces the injector pump and the lift pump. And it costs $875. And he said that He called everywhere even aftermarket stuff and could not find anything. I would think that would be a part to have around.?.?

So I called my regular mechanic to get other options and he was able to order the pump that is in there now for $250 and he will have it in tomorrow. I should have taken the gamble of just having them replace it and it would have saved me over $200 in towing all over. Is it just me or is this dealer full of crap. It could have cost me a lot of time and money considering it was a company truck. I would have had to buy a new one if I had to wait that long. Just wondering if I was getting screwed or not.

big_g
    Isle, MN

Parts are becoming scarce…. that is a fact. I would think they could do a dealer locate, but will the other dealers give it up ??? It is redesigned, so that the issue doesn’t happen again. I also can believe, a pump made in China, with the old design, could be $600 cheaper….

big G

hooknfinger
    Rochester, Minnesota

is it a diesel? and what year?

pockets
    Golden Valley, MN

Typical Chrysler repair situation. I know of a diesel that needed a starter, flywheel, and the shop was charging an additional 30% (almost $400) for “special handling”. If I were you, I’d look to see if they have a used Ford or Chevy on the lot and cut your losses……

big_g
    Isle, MN

Quote:

Typical Chrysler repair situation. I know of a diesel that needed a starter, flywheel, and the shop was charging an additional 30% (almost $400) for “special handling”. If I were you, I’d look to see if they have a used Ford or Chevy on the lot and cut your losses……

Yeah, they fix them for free…….. or maybe they never break down and that’s why they don’t have a service dept…. great advice….. Do you know that most dealerships are independently owned ??? Chrysler does not “own” the dealerships….. FYI, just because 1 shop would do this, doesn’t mean they all do…. I suppose it was a friend of a friend too…..

big G

pockets
    Golden Valley, MN

I deal with dealerships 40 hrs a week, all over the country. As far as getting a GM or Ford; it was a joke. Didn’t mean it that way. But seriously, Ford and GM don’t charge extra to have parts shipped.

big_g
    Isle, MN

MOPAR does not charge to ship parts either, its when you want in NOW (overnighted), then there is special handling charges. Pretty much part of every business.

big G

das_bass
    Mound, MN

I know my mechanic will check the junk yards for parts if he can’t find what he thinks is a reasonable price on a part. I kind of doubt a dealership would do that, so that could be a difference too.

big_g
    Isle, MN

We will at a customers request… I sell LABOR !!!!

big G

Prestige
    Elgin, MN

The truck is a 2003 Cummins. And no, I will not trade in for a chevy or ford over a fuel pump. The truck has 140,000 miles on it and this is the only thing to go wrong with it other than one set of brakes.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.