BB/BS ARM event-call for help

• mudlnthru
    Burnsville

It’s been mentioned a great deal and I’m going to do it again. Anglers as Role Models is a nonprofit organization that is holding its second annual outing with Big Brothers and Big Sisters this year. The dates are August 9 and 10 and we expect to be hosting 40 Big/Little Brother and Sister teams from both Minnesota and Wisconsin on EACH day for that event.

This is an exciting event! The intent is to give some kids a little bit of the fishing bug and also provide them with some good solid, very positive experience on the water. Last year’s event was fabulous. In fact, the response was overwhelming. Some of the littles from that event are returning, but we’re also adding a lot of new ones.

This not constitutes a call for volunteers. We need as much help as possible. Every forum participant is invited down to Everts and we would like to get at least a partial list of all of those folks that can come down as soon as possible.

The event works like this. We pair a boat and fisherman with a Big/Little Brother or Sister combo and send the three of you out on the water for a day. It’s a challenge to everyone, but it is great fun and a very relaxed situation. There is absolutely no pressure on you to catch or locate eatable fish, but we’ll also be hoping to improve everyone’s skills in that regard.

We also need shore help in the cooking, entertaining and instruction areas. Every skill, from boat handling to knot tying is necessary. At present, we have a good number of the EFN Pro Staff participating and hope to get others from outside our small group to join in.

We have contacted Gander Mountain’s staff and hope to have at least a couple of their own Pros with us. We are also going to be in touch with several other groups and companies.

Steve Vick at Everts has very kindly agreed to provide us with space for 40 people (pretty much the entire resort) for the weekend. We may be charging a nominal fee for staying there, through ARM, but overall will keep a few spaces open for celebrities as well. Not to say that need will also be a factor. So please contact me or leave a note on this list if you require overnight sleeping arrangements. Camping out space is large, too, and we’ll provide a good hot shower for anyone who wishes to do a little bit of that as well.

This is an important event! It’s a good opportunity to spend a little time fishing, get some free food and even a lot of pleasure from having taken a couple of deserving folks out for a day. That is reward enough, mind you.

August is a great time to go do this. We hope that you’ll reserve a couple of days for this wonderful event and help out.

What I’d like is for anyone who is interested to let me know, either via this forum, a private pm or a phone call. Give me your name, address and whether you’d like to bring a boat or volunteer from shore. We’ll be keeping track as we go. If you have a boat and might like to attend, but aren’t sure of the logistics (rods, reels, lack of fishing time on the river or so forth), we’ll work something out. A lot of that stuff can be shared and we’re counting on having plenty of everything for the event. It’s about the experience, anyway. And it’s also about the looks on the kids’ faces when they get to see the water from a slightly different vantage point, maybe catch a fish and just plain ride around. All of this makes for the day that you’ll remember as a wonderful and exciting one.

We are also looking for donations and contributions if you have any ideas. Last year, we gave away a tackle box and let the kids load up with all sorts of goodies from different companies. This year should be no different. We do need a little bit of cash, so contributions can be sent as well. But mostly, we’re looking for participation, your support and a good time on the water.

I look forward to hearing from anyone interested and am certain that we will have at least as good a time as we had last year.

Mike Little
    ARM Board of Directors
    [email protected]
    952-890-6620
    1-866-866-2837 (toll free outside Minnesota)

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

Put me on the shore list Mike!

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

Hey Mike !! This event is gonna be the best !! You know I’ll be there and my wife will too…

Lets here it everyone !!! There is no way we can every have to much help !!

See you all there !!

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

I will be there both days with my boat

nubbinbuck

Mike,
    You know how to get ahold of me if you need me….

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

hey nubbinbuck !!

If your open for the weekend PLEASE give Mike a call or e-mail and set up some specifics..

Listen everyone,,,,,,this is a personal invite,,,,,,,,

Give Mike a call or shoot him an e-mail and set something up that will fit your schedule…

thanks in advance !!

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

I’m there for both days Mike. Wouldn’t miss it for anything, especially after attending last year’s event. Good times for the contributing anglers and a GREAT time for these kids.

Come on guys! Here’s your chance to do some fishing, donate a little time and really impact the life of a very needy child or two. The sad reality is, if anglers like us, all of us, don’t step forward to make this happen, these kids WILL NOT be exposed to the sport we all love so much. You can bring a boat and take one of these kids fishing. You can help out on shore working with the kids, cooking, etc., or you could make a donation to the event.

Who else is in?

crossin_eyes
    Lakeville, MN

Hey Guys.
    I’m in for sure. Count on me for both days. I’ll bring my boat, but you can put me wherever you need me.
    Is anyone intersted in splitting a cabin at Evert’s with me?
    E-mail or send me a PM if so.

Mike

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

I am there for both days. Had planned on helping out with shore activities but will have the boat with if needed. I may have on other person with me to help also.

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

Hey Crossin Eyes, I believe there are several cabins that we all will be staying in. (at a special Steve Vick discount)..Most cabins sleep 5 or so….contact Mike Little about the specifics

see ya up there…

dustin_stewart
    Rochester, MN

Wouldn’t miss it for the world . I’ll be there both days with my boat. Last year was a blast, this year can only be better!

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

If you could only of seen the smiles and happiness on these kids faces last year you would make sure you were there in a heart beat. Those kids got to go fishing, got feed, got tackleboxes with built in radios, got tons of tackle to put in their new tacklebox. This is everyones chance to help protect and expand our favorite pass time of fishing. Kids are the future of fishing so lets all help to introduce kids to fishing. Each person with a boat would take a kid PLUS his or hers big brother/sister out fishing so there is an adult in the boat along with you and the kid you are taking out. Hope to see you all there. Thanks, Bill

mudlnthru
    Burnsville

We’re doing great so far, guys. Coincidentally, I received a call from Cheryl at the Minnesota chapter of Big Brothers who said that they’re setting up the notification and so forth. Apparently, a bunch of kids are already signed up from the St. Cloud area (chapter headquarters) but that we’re waiting on Twin Cities and Owatonna chapters, too. This is just the Saturday side. I’m counting on the Eau Claire chapter to fill Sunday.

It’s going to be good. We’ll have great fun. Always needed and always a good thing and as Bill says, we’re going to be creating a whole new generation of fisherfolks. Apart from that, I can’t say enough about the fun that this event is becoming. More than just a charity event, it’s a requirement. Hopefully things will work great.

By the way, we’re going to ask for a small amount in the way of contributions, so if anyone has some spare cash around, we’re in the process of applying for our 501c status, making all donations tax deductible. That status would be retroactive and will cover all contributions made this year.

How about that for a deal?

Mike Little
    ARM Board of Directors.

leinieman
    Chippewa Valley (Dunnville Bottoms)

Get your name in early as we are planing on 40 kids each day and we need at least that many boats. Also for all you lucky people we are having Pizza from Domino’s for lunch and dilly bars from Dairy Queen.. Last year was a lot of fun and I’ll be there again this time with a truck load of Dilly Bars.

Sign up please as we already have quanties arranged for food and you would hate to miss the cut off point.Maybe Mike wil show everone the sheepie swallowing trick. Steve

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

This post is the sign up sheet right? Or do we need to contact little?

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

It would be a good idea to contact Mike Little to work out the details…like,if your bring a boat,working from shore,sleeping arrangements,which days wou’ll be able to help out…see you there Mike !!

gimpy
    Owatonna, Minnesota

Count me in also. After I help out I hope to get out and fish with somebody for a little bit.

stuart
    Mn.

Mike I sent you an email then i thought of somthing else.Do you serve breakfast to the kids? I work for a large cereal company and am sure i could get them to donate a few cases of cold cereal.

mudlnthru
    Burnsville

Hey, Stuart,

I’m hoping to avoid breakfast for the kids, but we’d love to be able to serve something to the overnighters who are helping. That would be fabulous! Maybe a selection of a few different kinds would be helpful? Definitely something to start out the day. I personally hate warm leftover beer.

Mike

stuart
    Mn.

Count on it.Will bring some friday if its o.k. with steve to drop it off.Steve??

mudlnthru
    Burnsville

I think Steve won’t mind. He may use it for bait if we aren’t careful though.

Dean Marshall
    Chippewa Falls WI /Ramsey MN

bring it on over…….It’s not
    “Liver” scented is it????

mudlnthru
    Burnsville

I thought the dog only liked garlic flavored Bass scent, Steve. What’s this about liver? And liver cereal is good for you anyway.

leinieman
    Chippewa Valley (Dunnville Bottoms)

Anyone out there work for a grocery store. I’m thinking it would sure be great to have a case or two of apples and oranges for the BB/BS event and maybe even some banana’s. Anyone else have any ideas on what type of foods to have around and where to get it. If you have some ideas that you want to share just post right here or if you want to stay anonomous send me a pm. Thanks Steve

tom_gursky
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula(Iron Mountain)

Steve, I got out of the wedding and will be coming again this year with my boat so count me in!

mudlnthru
    Burnsville

Great news, Tom! We’ll be looking forward to seeing you. I’ll hold a bed, too.

Mike

Charlie “Turk” Gierke
    Hudson Wisconsin

Mike,

I am interested in helping and providing a boat, bait, poles the whole whizbang just as on a guide trip for Saturday… I imagine boats are still needed?
    Turk

steveo
    W Central Sconnie

going to be out of town. who can I make a check out to and where should i send it?

mudlnthru
    Burnsville

Turk,
    We’ll look forward to seeing you Saturday, then. It will be just exactly like a guide trip. One Big and one Little in each boat. We’ll outfit everyone from the guide boats and will really appreciate your stick. Looking forward to seeing you and I’ll make sure that we keep in touch as far as details go. You can reach me at the shop if you have any questions. 952-890-6620

Mike

mudlnthru
    Burnsville

Steve,

You can make the check out to Anglers as Role Models, Inc. Send to me at Team Mates, Inc. 1800 E. Cliff Road, Suite 11, Burnsville, MN 55337

Thanks! Everything helps. And I’m sorry you can’t make it, but we’ll look forward to seeing you on the river. And the check helps a lot. We’ve got some incidentals to buy, so every dime helps.

Mike

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 41 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.