BOAT STORAGE

• Anonymous

What’s the opinion out there about storing your boat with fuel. I have always heard the best is by storing it with a full tank of fuel? I have had problems with my gas this past summer, had to use a can of sea foam a number of times. The word is that our gas does’nt last as long as it used too???????

Anonymous

1 can of Stabile and you shouldnt have a problem over winter (at least I dont).

Anonymous

ditto… on the stabile-izer. I have an i/o in my 19 ft. and I change the fuel filter in the spring too, on it.

Hawger

BobO
    Plymouth. MN

After reading multiple posts on various web sites, this is what I think makes the most sense:

Begin adding stabilizer before your last one or two outings. Do this while the fuel is very fresh. This insures that it stays as fresh as possible and also gets into the fuel line and carburetur.

After your last outing, if you have a portable tank, fill it up (unmixed) and add fuel stabilizer. This will protect the tank from corrosion. But then dump the fuel into your car in the spring and start fresh with your boat. If the tank is built in, use up (or drain) fuel as much as possible before storage. Fill with fresh fuel before your first outing in the spring.

In both cases you want to eliminate or dilute the stored fuel as much as possible before running it through your motor because the alcohol in the gas absorbs moisture over time. Also, I am not convinced that stabilizers do a perfect job of preventing the formation of all the gummy products that are found in old gas.

Anonymous

Another vote for Sta-bil. Make sure you run the Sta-bil gas up into the carbs, that’s the most important place you want protected.

Empty, full…. the argument goes on. Personally, I stored full.

Anonymous

I have read that it is best to keep a tank full so there is less chance of condensation to occur. I use Stabil and Sea Foam in all of my gas engines. With a “cylinder index” of over 50 , I have plenty to work with.

Anonymous

Dinosaur,

Its amazing how all those gasoline engines add up ain’t it (power washer, weed wacker,ice augers,boat motors,lawn mowers……).

From a fellow garage lagician!!!

Hook

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.