Fourm for Twin Cities..

• Anonymous

How about a N., S., E., and W. split up on Minneapolis/St. Paul area lakes for the “City’s Forum” Lakes. Not my idea, but I think it is the way to go… Hawger

TRZ
    St.paul

Sounds like a great idea, i actually wrote a small article for walleyehunter.com for the east metro and had alot of people interested in it, but unfortunately i didn’t have enough time to keep up on the article, and they replaced it with one of those bait shop reports that say the same thing about the same lakes every year, and coincidentaly the lakes were the fish are hiting best are always near thier shop! a good forum on this site would be very good i’m sure with the knowledgable guys that are on here.

Anonymous

I would be in favor of any city area forum. I mostly fish Big Marine, Big Carnelian, and Demontreville area. Anyone else fish these lakes?

Anonymous

How about just keeping it simple. “Metro Lakes” Everyone within an hours drive of either downtown can submit their posts under that heading….???

I like Lake Phalen for a quick morning trip!!

Jon J.

Anonymous

I have had trouble catching anything but panfish on all of the city lakes. I have tried White Bear, Bald Eagle, Phalen, Harriett and Calhoun. Some nice bass and northern-but no walleye over 12″. Is there something I am missing? What should a guy expect to catch if he puts in some time on these lakes. Do they need to be fished early morning or into the evening?

I grew up fishing Minnetonka and Waconia and had some great days. I got to northern and western MN and do very well. So I like to think that I know how to fish lakes. This year I have fished exclusively on the Mississippi after not having much luck on the lakes near St Paul.

I know that some lakes seem to have windows in the day or year that produce fish and other times dont. Do I just need to put in more time or try different techniques?

Thanks for any input. So I guess that I am saying that I would love a metro area link.

TRZ
    St.paul

I think an east and west metro would be best because i know most people from the St.paul area don’t really care avout the Minneapolis area and I’m sure the same goes for western metro people not caring about the east. As far as walleye from shore, Phalen is your best bet by far in the east metro, it can be a true bonanza in spring but fish can be caught all year long, don’t be too surprised if you get a sauger, they have really started to show up alot the last 2 years.

Anonymous

I love it all! Let’s make it metro lakes. Says it all.

Anonymous

daveb,

Yes there are good fish in the lakes you list. And yes, early and late seem to be key. Meaning, early/late in the year and early/late in the day.

Another key factor is weeds. All of those lakes are stocked. When the DNR pulls up and dumps a truckload of walleye into the lake, those fish go to the weeds and learn to live there. When the weeds start dying out this time of year, the walleye get a lot easier to catch!

J.

Anonymous

Dave,

I think changing the Minnetonka forum to a all metro forum would be ideal and would be bale to generate a lot more interest. There are so many lakes with various species active at different times that a fisherman can always stay on active fish.

Mike Finke

Mike Finke Outdoors

(612) 210-5937

Anonymous

I agree with Mike, lump all of them into one like the tonka site. There are some great little secrets in the metro area as far as muskie and bass lakes go.

Hook

DONOTDELETE

Hey guys,

I guess I like the idea of a single Metro Lakes forum. That categorization fits nicely with the “regional forums” we already have in place. Unless I hear any strong suggestion to the contrary, I’ll run it by Hougie to get his blessings, and we’ll make that switch.

When we set up these regional forums we like to list 3-4 lakes that we anticipate to dominate the discussion. Any suggestions on a couple of lakes to add to the opening description of this new forum?

James Holst

Moving Waters Guide Service

http://www.movingwaters.net

Anonymous

How about Minnetonka, Medicine, Bald Eagle and White Bear. These are fairly good size lakes, 2 east and 2 west metro. Mike and Mike should have some good input on this there the guys.

Hook

Anonymous

Why have any lakes listed? Why not just leave it plain Metro Lakes and let everyone post what lake they want to talk about? I live close to Harriet and Calhoun; I could talk about that but couldn’t if you just listed about 4 lakes only. I think prior and mtka get the most pressure. Same with spring and cedar lake in New Prague. White bear and bald eagle also get same amount of pressure. Would be sad to exclude those. I say just leave it Metro Lakes.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.