Live on a houseboat year round?

• mnfish
    Lake Elmo MN

Anyone know anyone that lives on a houseboat year round? In Minnesota? On the Miss River? Just curious.

TBOMN11
    Circle Pines, MN

I live on mine all summer, and stay in it from time to time in the winter. We pull ours out of the water in the winter, but still have everything working so it can be used in the winter. We don’t keep water in it, so we bring water jugs.

horsch
    Hastings, MN

Thats what me and the wife want to do too, when kids get older!! I think be great to live on boat year round, and no yard work either!!!!

mnfish
    Lake Elmo MN

TBO/MN…where do you live in the winter?

mnfish
    Lake Elmo MN

And where do you keep it?

TBOMN11
    Circle Pines, MN

Circle Pines, MN/Voyageurs National Park(Crane Lk.)

mnfish
    Lake Elmo MN

Just curious because I thought it would be cool once I’m totally single just to live on a boat on the river. By St. Paul? Anyone know anyone living in that area? Watergate marina or ??? And what do the utitlites run? Where to live in the winter? And do girls like houseboats? Probably not I’m thinking. Oh, well. Can’t have it all.

ederd
    Northeast Iowa, Randalia

My wife said it would be neat, she said if you had a deck where they could sunbathe that women would probably like it.

Ed

john23
    St. Paul, MN

I think it would be pretty cool to live on a houseboat, or to at least have one available for summer/weekend living. If you find anything out, please post the info here! I know there are several people who do live in Watergate year round, and I’m sure there are marinas down river that have more year-rounders.

Oh, and if the girls like you, and the houseboat is nice enough, I bet it would be just fine. They’re pretty tolerant for the first month or two…

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

It was my understanding that if you had a houseboat, the girls came with it. Every one I have seen came equipped with a number of them.

TBOMN11
    Circle Pines, MN

Mine did, wife,,Joanie, and cat,,Kallie……..

KJK
    Cottage Grove

There are a few people that live on their boats all year
    round down at Willy’s hidden harbor in St.Paul Park.

In the winter you have to build a shrink wrap enclosure around the boat to keep the wind out.

They have a pretty have a nice bar/restaurant. Give’em a call for the slip rates.

cherilovell
    Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin

Big River Magazine did a special story last year on living year round on a house boat and where you could park for the winter, etc. I’ll try to dig it up for you.

DaveB
    Inver Grove Heights MN

I am pretty sure that people live year round at Watergate. My friend was going to do it too, but the deal fell through. He was going to have it on Harriet Island. I am really not sure how the water works in the winter though.

Whiskerkev
    Madison

Houseboats are fun and you get what you pay for. Most are not designed for warmth and are not insulated very well. The slippage can get expensive and some marinas require they be taken out each year. If you don’t run them frequently maintenance can be a bear. If you like to work on things you can get a great deal on one that might not be in pristine shape. I have never had a problem getting the fairer sex to come on mine. Houseboats are usually on the slow side and can be a pain to manuever in current. They are great if you want to be the first one on the water and also night fishing when you don’t want to worry about launching and landing at night.

2Fishy4U

A friend of mine; Jay Kohner, Latsch Island, Winona, MN. And he doesn’t have have to pay property taxes.

gary_wellman
    South Metro

No property taxes.

And

If you keep it on the Mississippi, you can stake claim in a residence of a state that does not have income taxes. I’m not quite exactly sure how it works, but I know it can be done.

john23
    St. Paul, MN

No state income taxes? This I’m looking into…

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

You would need a PO box for mail. No biggie. I could handle that.

trong ha

John23, Did you find out about the no state income tax and how to accomplish this?

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

What’s a state income tax? coffee

I thought it would be cool to live on a houseboat. The problem is I love dogs and I think it would be a pain. Yes I know it can be done, but it would be too much trouble for me personally.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

I read an article about year-around living on houseboats that profiled several people from St. Paul.

To me, it sounded like a constant pain in the @ss. They have to surround the boat with “bubblers” to keep them from icing in. The boats are poorly insulated, so they have to be rebuilt or insulated with some cobbled together solution each year. Heat for most boats was an issue as well because of limited fuel options and the danger of fire.

Water and sewer were constant issues. The sewage on a houseboat is a pump-out tank system and getting pumped out in the winter was a huge issue. Water was the same deal, in the summer the boats are hooked up to dock-side water faucets, but these are not available in the winter, so the owners have to haul water to the boat’s internal tanks. Ug!

And finally, the fun didn’t end when spring got here. Almost every spring sent boat owners running for cover from the spring floods.

To me, it sounds like a great way to live if you can point the boat downriver in about October or have it hauled out.

I know there are some boats built for winter use, but at some point the cost is obviously going to be an issue.

Grouse

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

I’ll be looking at an apartment tomorrow. I could throw a stone from the deck and hit the public access in Prescott at the confluence. About as close to a houseboat as i’m going to get for now!

matt

I have given this some thought as well.Its a p.i.a to drag the boat down there all of the time and not even worth it for a few hour trip.I just figure what better place could there be to live for a single guy who loves to fish the river.Maybe 6months on the boat and a 6 month lease at an apt.or rental?One of my good buddies was an inboard mechanic for years and I know he would help me out with any of those needs when they arise.If anyone should dig up any info Id be interested in the read.I know there are a couple at watergate as i have seen them in the spring with the shrinkwrap and lights on still at the dock.Maybe when i habe time here i will swing in there and talk to someone there about it.

KP
    Hudson, WI

There is a show on Animal Planet about people living year round on house boats up in Canada. Its called Ice Lake Rebels but not sure why this type of show is on Animal Planet haha. The one big question I have is how the boats can handle being iced in and not getting damaged?

Kristen Kvalsten

Hi there,

I know this is an old post, but I’m hoping some of you are still dreaming of a life on the river! My dad has been living on a very comfortable houseboat for the last 25 years. Custom cabinets, granite countertops, two bathrooms and a 5 person hot tub. He has passed away recently and my brother and I are looking to sell the boat. Here is a link to the listing:

http://www.tetzlaffyachtsales.com/boats-for-sale/1975-houseboat-mattie-red-wing-minnesota-8967664/

I’ve also attached an article in houseboat magazine.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

It’s funny Kristen, I was just going to post Dave’s house boat here in the classifieds!

Dave was our neighbor a few slips down at the Harbor Bar Marina and is missed by all on the docks…but on to the houseboat before I get all mushy.

Forget about everything you thought a house boat was. This is more like a mobile home on the water. 65′ if I recall. It has a regular gourmet kitchen. The living area is at least as large as our homes living room. Walk around bed as well.

It’s heated by propane with a aux tank on the front of the vessel and the main tank is on shore. Some of you pool 4 fishermen may have seen Dave motoring down the river towards Lake Pepin in Jan/Feb in his tee shirt with a smile and a wave.

Just as comfortable as my house in the winter (Dave and I shared plenty of bourbon over the last few years) And if you choose to stay at the Harbor Marina, you have an awesome sunrise next to Barn Bluff each morning.

Kirsten just lowered the price to sell.

Looking to live year round on a boat? Here you go. And right on the Mississippi in Red Wing. The boat comes with newer twin Mercruisers 5.7 Mercruisers, air conditioning and heat, portable generator, (marine generator not installed), bow thruster, hot tub, updated galley, hydraulic davits and engine hatch, head with shower. The slip in Red Wing is available also

Attachments:
    1. 2.jpg

2. 3.jpg

3. 4.jpg

4. 5.jpg

5. 6.jpg

6. 1.jpg

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

FYI I was just reading Grouses old post.

Dave’s boat stays in the river at the Marina all year as the water never freezes (without bubblers).

Well, I’m not going to go through each point here, but the problems that Grouse mentions are a non factor with this house.

Well, if it floods enough a person might need to wear hip boots to get to the dock.

jwellsy

I wonder if you could train a dog to poop in the water.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Condolences to the family.
    Good luck with the sale, it will make a nice home for somebody.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 31 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.