Would you be mad?? Mpls police

• hgeren
    NE Minneapolis

I dont know why this has got me worked up so bad but its driving me crazy and wanted get a gague on if I was being mad about nothing. Let me start by saying that I have all the respect inthe world for our police force.

Last night started out like a fairly normal thursday night with two of my friends over helping me out restoring a truck that I’ve been working on for a while. Gargage door closed, heater on, music on, and beers in the frige. Everyone eventually leaves my house by around 10:45 and I go inside to go to bed.

11:00 get under the covers.

At 11:30 a MPLS cop shows up at my door and askes me if we have had loud music playing tonight. I say yeah about and hour ago and I have a hard time believing neighbors could hear it. Then he tells me hes personally been to my house numerous times for noise violations and this kind of behavior needs to stop and all radios are suppose to be off by 10PM.

Whats really chapping my a@# is that in the years I’ve owned the house there has never been a police office here and this guy is telling that hes been here numerous times. I had only had 3 beers all night so I know I wasnt drunk and as Im asking him when exaclty he been here before, he turns around and starts walking back to his car and leaves.

I know I’m probably over reacting to this but that is really just getting to me. I havent had so much as a speeding ticket in a dozen years, I give money to police officers federation, why is this guy accusing me of being a problem house? No need to resposed, just needed to vent a little.

gary_wellman
    South Metro

File a complaint with the the chief.

col._klink
    St Paul

Huck,
    Just remember cops are people too. And you could have been a little hot. He might just have your face and your address mixed up. Hopefully that is the case.

Jeremiah Shaver
    La Crosse, WI

file

and then find out what neighbor called you in and return the favor when you get a chance… see how they like it

vikefanmn

*&%$ the police yo yo *&%$ em lol

hooknfinger
    Rochester, Minnesota

Even if you had your music playing, the noise ordiance doesnt get in effect till 10:30.

WHen i was in High shcool i had a REALLY loud car stereo system in my car, nieghbor called teh cops once, they came out and said they cant do anything till 10:30.

So for a week straight i would start my car, turn the stereo all teh way up, roll down the windows and go inside till 10:29 and shut it off. They stopped calling the cops after that week

col._klink
    St Paul

Quote:

Sometimes people get pretty worked up about the Coppers. And they tend to go a little overboard. Filing a complaint with the Chief? Over something like this?

I can assure you that if you do something like (that for a little conversation that the comp. thought went sour.)

Your name will not be forgotten. And your house will be remembered in the back of that officers mind when he is reading the complaint you give on him/her.

Just my opinion but sometimes people get pretty worked up over the smallest ____!

Jeremiah Shaver
    La Crosse, WI

Why not file a complaint…?? If you don’t , and the next person doesn’t, it will become an ongoing pattern…

A complaint as far as I know will be part of your record…make ’em think twice before they make up..

Jeremiah Shaver
    La Crosse, WI

There was a cop here in LAX that just got fired. He had a history of complaints against him, along with below average reviews….If you feel wronged, file a complaint.

It’s amazing how many people let themselves get walked all over and don’t do anything about it…(in general)

gary_wellman
    South Metro

Quote:

Quote:

Sometimes people get pretty worked up about the Coppers. And they tend to go a little overboard. Filing a complaint with the Chief? Over something like this?

I can assure you that if you do something like (that for a little conversation that the comp. thought went sour.)

Your name will not be forgotten. And your house will be remembered in the back of that officers mind when he is reading the complaint you give on him/her.

Just my opinion but sometimes people get pretty worked up over the smallest ____!

Completely disagree!!!!
    Are you saying that this person should accept the unjustified abuse of law enforcement? What is next? “Are my papers in order?”

If there would be any repercussion from that officer to the person filing the complaint, That officer may end up in trouble further! All it would take would be another complaint filed……

There is a classic line: “just because you wear that badge, doesn’t make you right.”

Yes, people make mistakes. However if the quote above is taken verbatim…….Then the officer was wrong.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

What I find interisting about this is how the police even had time to come to your house for this. A couple of months ago why my stolen van was driving around MPLS haveing stuff sold out of it and crashing into other vehicle until the van was totaled the police didnt have the time to look into it. The first reply I got was “what do you want us to do about it”. Next was to call my insurance company. Even after they had a good idae of who did this crime there was nothing done. Very disapointing.

Forgot to answer your question. Yes. I would be very mad. Tell your neighbors to quit wasting the police’s limited resources on such petty calls. Maybe they could of walked next door and asked you to turn it down.

ryan-hale
    NW Ia

Just because your a cop it doesn’t make you(them) always right.If I were Huck I would be mad also.

Numerous times? Huck said it was the first time since he lived there that law enforcement had been there.

We all have neighboors that might make us mad,but to call the cops about it isn’t the right step.

Here’s a good story.

2 houses down from me there are 3 boys,all in high school and they have a band.They play almost every night in the summer in the garage.Very loud but at 10:30 it’s done.Many of the older neighbors called and complained.But so long as the music is off at 10:30 there is nothing that can be done.

I for one enjoy to listen to the tunes.

Touchy subject.

Bad cop/good cop,anyone ever hear of this

Ryan Hale

farmboy1
    Mantorville, MN

Quote:

There is a classic line: “just because you wear that badge, doesn’t make you right.”

Any thread that quotes from Tombstone is alright in my mind

I agree to file a complaint with the chief. If anyone reads it, it will be on his record. The problem is you problably don’t have the officers badge number, or name, so your complaint will problably never be read. Good luck.

hgeren
    NE Minneapolis

I dont know if I will file a formal complaint or not. Damned if I do and damned if I dont.

My wife was more ticked than I was and called the 2nd precinct last night right after the cop left to complain about how the situation was handled. She was standing right behind me when the cop was here and had no drinks at all. The cop twice said that hes been to the house on numerous occasions. Still havent heard back from anyone, I guess I dont expect to.

Must have been a slow night. Maybe next time the cops are looking for that Level III sex offender whose wife lives accross the street from me, I wont be so inclined to let the cops know when he stops by her house against his release orders and violates his parole again. Hes back on the streets in March…. I’ve worked with the BCA to find him before.

PS I wouldnt really do that but this doesnt really make me want to be more cooperative with the police.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Point of view from the other side. My new neighbors play their music loud. It bothers the heck out of me and my wife. By law we dont have to put up with but we did for months before telling them. Things got better but if they continue to play it lould late at night I will be calling the cops. There’s simply no place for super loud music or sub-woofers in a residential neighborhood.

Jeremiah Shaver
    La Crosse, WI

Quote:

There’s simply no place for super loud music or sub-woofers in a residential neighborhood.

Says who? A lot of us love music, are we supposed to give it up just b/c we live around “the jones’s”. Should Harley’s be banned from neighborhoods too b/c they are loud?

That’s an absurd statement.

col._klink
    St Paul

Your 100% right Ryan,
    Just because your a cop does not give you the right to be a !!
    I should have said none of know exactly what went on and what was said.

Huck is in the right for being angered that MPD did nothing for him. And I would hope that the officer did not act in a mannor that would put MPD in a bad place with a citizen of MPLS.
    I would also say that not all cops are not good cops!! I have meet a few !

I am just saying where do you draw the line? Where the officers ethics in the right place? You might be a little surprised to see the number of calls that MPD coppers have to deal with regrading these types of calls. And NO! that does not give that officer the right to be rude.
    In a city filled with crime there is not a perfect solution to handle the calls that to not invlove “Crimes”.
    I wish there was a better way.

MPD is a force of around 550 to 600 cops if they are lucky! The department is supossed to run on at least 800 cops. The reality is they just don’t have the resources to handle these types of calls. I am not sure what anyone else does for work but I am not sure what it would be like to come on shift and have 5 or 6 calls waiting for service???

just my $.02

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Your telling me it’s OK to play your music in your house/garage so loud it can be heard in my house? Especially if it’s loud enough to keep me awake at night?? Please, that is plain rude and uncalled for. I’d have no problem calling the cops, especially if I’ve verbally asked the neighbors to have some respect for others. What happened to love thy neighbor????

hgeren
    NE Minneapolis

Quote:

Quote:

There’s simply no place for super loud music or sub-woofers in a residential neighborhood.

Says who? A lot of us love music, are we supposed to give it up just b/c we live around “the jones’s”. Should Harley’s be banned from neighborhoods too b/c they are loud?

That’s an absurd statement.

Besides I was listening to the Crue man..the freakin Crue! I dont own a subwoofer either, the garage sound system is more like something you would have found in an ’81 Toyota.

Jeremiah Shaver
    La Crosse, WI

Ok, let’s have everyone break out the “what if” scenario’s that fit their specific point. One extreme to the other.

let’s try it.

What if the neighbor has never voiced their concern with the person who plays loud music? What if once the neighbor said something they would try and be more aware of their music? Who said anything about music shaking houses? Why care about a neighbor who calls the cops on you?

This is fun Can you tell it’s friday and we haven’t been fishing in months?

buckshot
    Rochester, MN

Just a thought…if you have a neighbor that is that unfriendly….is it possible when they called they said something like “this is the 5th(or 10th) time I have called” and the cop was making a generalized statement based on the actual complaint…..maybe he said “I” and meant “we” as in the police have been to this address several times because that is what the neighbor said when they called.

These guys have a tough job and they put their life on the line every day….I say cut the guy some slack since you don’t know what the neighbor said when they called.

as for the loud music….listen to whatever you want….whenever you want but keep it to yourself. You have the right to listen to whatever you want….BUT….I have the right to silence if I so choose..if you play your music so loud I can hear it inside with the windows closed…aren’t you infringing on my rights?? Volume doesn’t make music better.

ryan-hale
    NW Ia

This is a great post,lets keep it civil.I for one really like to read peoples thoughts on this.We are not all the same people and have different views.
    Loud music. I guess if it were 2:00 a.m. in the morning I would be pissed.What about the guy that works the night shift and his neighbor is mowing his yard at 9:00 a.m. and he can’t sleep.Might not be music but it’s still loud and causing a problem.Slop brought up a great point about the “Hogs”.I think they sound cool and love the look of them.But they are very loud and rattle stuff on the walls of my house all the time during the summer.
    Ryan Hale

gary_wellman
    South Metro

What if the dog wouldn’t have stopped to take a crap……..He would have caught the rabbit!!!

Ya think I could maybe sharpen my muskie hooks one more time??? I don’t know if the previous 5 other times was good enough…….Cabin fever is redline!!!!

Jeremiah Shaver
    La Crosse, WI

If it’s too loud, you’re too old

col._klink
    St Paul

The Bass Master Jedi hit the nail on the HEAD

Well boys and girls I am heading out to angle

How easy would life be if we all could just and fish?

Jeremiah Shaver
    La Crosse, WI

Ryan,

good point on the mowers…if we use some of the others’ line of thinking….Since I can hear it (the mower) from down the street, it is too loud and since i have the right of silence, we should call the cops to have them turn off the mower.

How would we ever mow the lawn?

One other question, is it the loudness of the music or that you don’t like the song?

One more question–why is your right to “silence” more important than my right to listen to loud music?

I know you guys think i’m being an , but i’m not, i’m just playing devils advocate…but yes, i’m in favor of listening to loud music if I want.

bassrap

I use to get regular visits from Bloomington’s finest regarding loud music complaints. Sometimes multiple visits on the same night. Never got a ticket, never cared that they came by. I simply told them that if my neighbors didn’t like the loud music, they should call or stop over. I’d have no trouble turning it down, but as long as they keep calling the police, I’m going to keep cranking the tunes.

Not the best way to handle it, but I was young and didn’t really care. Fortunately I now live in the woods where there’s no chance that my neighbors can hear my stereo. The only problem now is when the wife puts $60 candle holders on the speakers and they fall off and break due to the vibrations from the speakers. What was she thinking?

Oh well, I say, don’t sweat it and keep enjoying the tunes.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

The only thing absurd is my dishes being rattled by the neighbors. And by the way I asked them to cut back on frequency and time of day. At least I was reasonable. I was man enough to discuss with my neighbors the first time. Second time Woodbury’s finest get the nod. Noise ordinances were written for a reason.

DaveB
    Inver Grove Heights MN

We had an “interesting” relationship with the St Paul police during my St Thomas years. One night had the cops beating up my friend on a porch leaving him w 2 black eyes and 2 cracked teeth.

This happened at a house where we never had parties-so we werent “known” as a problem house (unlike our other houses). One day in Nov, I get a letter from the Dean. Apparently, there was a police report filed and so we received a stearn warning from the school.

The police report stated:

On October 31, people were gathered in front of the residence were talking very loud [did I mention the neighbors were total weenies?]. When approached, the people disbursed and there was no response at the residence.

So our neighbors called the cops on HALLOWEEN night because people were TALKING in front of our house. We werent even home and got in trouble for people talking on our sidewalk.

Some people.

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

I would contact the PD and ask:

1. What exactly is loud? And I would press them for a specific decibel level or some quantifiable definition.
    2. What time does the quiet time start?

I would be willing to bet the max DB level permitted under the law is louder than what most people think it is. (You can by a decibel meter at Radio Shack to CYA.)

Then I’d swing open the garage, play music just under the legal level and turn it off at the right time. I might just do that every single night of the week……

I don’t like neighbors who have barking dogs, screaming kids, loud music either. But most of all I don’t like neighbors who can’t get off their butt and come over and talk like a human being. Seems like you would have just said “Ok, sorry, we will keep it down….”

-J.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 51 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.